265 not so fresh water tank

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
This project was NOWHERE on any of my many lists of things to do. I was testing things on the panel and found that the FW pump did not run. I thought it might be related to a molex connector problem I was having. Turned out it was just green connections at the pump. Got pump running but noticed the awful condition on the tank. We NEVER use that water. I thought, stupidly, that I could yank the tank out and flush it out good.
Ya...NO!

There are metal brackets behind it that prevent sliding it back to tilt up and out. No way to bemove the brackets. Unreachable phillips screws. You CAN bend the crap out of them so you THINK you are making progress.

Long story short

IMG_3171.jpeg

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yuk. I pulled the tank on our 248 to clean it. Yours is even worse!
I use a little bleach water on the 270. So far no stink or funk, but I think I'll stick a camera into the tank to see if I have any science experiments brewing.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Double Yuk! Mine came out easy and clean when I did my fuel tanks.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I remember maybe last summer or so when the topic came up about drinking the water out of a freshwater tank and a few people mentioned just adding a couple drops of bleach to it. That's all well and good if you want to drink the water like that, but it's not something that I'll do, especially when in the back of my mind I imagine my tank potentially looking like the one in the pictures.

Last edited:

Diad

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I haven’t even taken the antifreeze out of mine since I purchased my 265 in December of 22. Now, I’m afraid because I don’t need another project either.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Here are some pics of the process
IMG_3165.jpeg
IMG_3168.jpeg
Not possible!!!!!

IMG_3174.jpeg
port side behind drawers

IMG_3172.jpeg

The brackets in the rear had to be bent backwards out-of-the-way I got them from the Portside drawers. They are in the way of pushing the tank backwards, so there’s no way to tilt it enough to get it up and out.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
That's unfortunate that some GW models were not designed for long term serviceability. I suspect different product managers had different priorities. Nearly everything on the 248 was accessable and serviceable. The 270 is tight but most things are accessible including the fuel tanks - I believe.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
That's unfortunate that some GW models were not designed for long term serviceability. I suspect different product managers had different priorities. Nearly everything on the 248 was accessable and serviceable. The 270 is tight but most things are accessible including the fuel tanks - I believe.
My water tank is under the hatch at the helm. Accessible and relatively clean. This photo is before reinstalling it.
30 Tank 4.jpeg
The 268 Islander has a 132 and 72 gallon tanks. The aft tank is easy. The main tank is forward and you have to cut bulkhead out and notch the step to get the tank out.

The 270 is nearly identical layout but there are some fuel tank differences. The manual shows 150 and 55 gallon tank reversed from 268 positions. I'm not sure I believe this. I haven't spoken to anyone who has done 270 tanks. On your boat which fuel fill is the main tank (forward or aft)? Would be interesting to get a photo with the deck hatch up.

Screen Shot 2024-05-03 at 7.42.54 AM.png Screen Shot 2024-05-03 at 7.57.20 AM.png

Edit: I went and looked at 268 manual and the fuel tanks are shown incorrectly!

Last edited:

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
According to my 2005 manual, the 270 has a 50 and a 150. The hatches are different, but I'm not 100% sure if the 50 tank is removable compared to yours. Regardless, it doesn't matter for my use. My fuel economy with the Zukes is so good that I have 350 + miles of range off the main tank alone.

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
There is no need to drink water on a boat this size. It's not like you will be taking weeks long extended trips with no access to land. flush the tank as good as you can to a level of "i'm ok washing may hands in it." Yanking the tank seems extreme. Mine is 20 years old and I get so it doesn't stink and call it good. I also use this tank as supply for a sort of ghetto reverso I made to flush my engines. what that means is I use at least half of it every time out so it gets refilled a lot. As long as i destinkify it at launch, I'm good for the season.

Drink bottled water on the boat. I'd never drink water out of any boat tank regardless of age or anything else.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I usually have a couple gallons of bottled water onboard.

I don't even understand why there are 3 sinks on my boat...stupid. "Galley", Head and "bait sink". I could wash one hand in the galley and one in the head at the same time.
If I ever replace the tank it will be sized to drop in. I'm toying with the idea of using the space for storage (maybe water jugs..hahaha).

I just removed the faucet from the "galley". That sink has been filled with fishing tackle (spools of leader) since I bought the boat.
Gonna fill the hole from the faucet and have a nice flat space.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Can't use the freshwater for much of anything other than flushing if you have a vacuflush head and cleaning hands after fishing. Even with the tabs and bleach, no way I'd use it for anything else.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Thats nasty. I cannot even imagine what it would take to get the water tank out of my 305. We use the water for the head, cleaning and rinsing off. I try to use it a lot over the summer in an attempt to keep the water as fresh as I can.

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Could not imagine not having fresh water on the boat. Always washing my hands in the cockpit sink and often attach a hose for a quick rinse off shower on a hot day or when I have to go swimming to get line out of the props (twice!). Would I drink it no never but that's not what it is there for. Fortunately my tank is readily accessible and looks ok. We use it often so good turn over, but I still sanitize with bleach. If you want to go crazy get some potassium metabisulfite. I use it for sanitizing wine making equipment. Simple to use and very effective.

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Could not imagine not having fresh water on the boat. Always washing my hands in the cockpit sink and often attach a hose for a quick rinse off shower on a hot day or when I have to go swimming to get line out of the props (twice!). Would I drink it no never but that's not what it is there for. Fortunately my tank is readily accessible and looks ok. We use it often so good turn over, but I still sanitize with bleach. If you want to go crazy get some potassium metabisulfite. I use it for sanitizing wine making equipment. Simple to use and very effective.
You hit it on the head with the good turnover comment. Once you get the stink out, keep using it… best way to keep it fresh.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Only thing I use my fresh water tank for is a rinse off after sandbar hopping. Nice to rinse off saltwater. Rest of the time it stays empty. Mine is removable once floors are up.

20190929_101309.jpg

Diad

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I just filled my fresh water tank on the 265. Water pressure sucks from any one of the three faucets. i know that it’s not supposed to be like in my house but what is realistic? And I think that there is a dead body in there because it freaking reeks like nothing I’ve ever smelled besides rotten bait in a busted freezer.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I just filled my fresh water tank on the 265. Water pressure sucks from any one of the three faucets. i know that it’s not supposed to be like in my house but what is realistic? And I think that there is a dead body in there because it freaking reeks like nothing I’ve ever smelled besides rotten bait in a busted freezer.
you have to take the screens off the faucets and let the chunks flow out....

if you take the cabin drawer unit out and open the deck port over the tank, you can get light shining through tank and see how nasty it is.
If it has a ring, do like I just did and cut it out. Put in a 12 gallon that will drop in.