265 X - flat panel dash

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
My AP control is low to the right of the steering wheel. Perfect spot! You can reach it while sitting and trolling...push the buttons to steer.
Its right there while standing and running for two hours..push the buttons to avoid pot markers.

Haven't cut the plexi yet. Trying to get a price from New wire to do it in 1/2" Luxmatt. CNC machine made cuts, curves and holes might be worth it.
I'll probably do the plexi this week and see how it looks.

southernstyle995

Reaction score
My AP control is low to the right of the steering wheel. Perfect spot! You can reach it while sitting and trolling...push the buttons to steer.
Its right there while standing and running for two hours..push the buttons to avoid pot markers.

Haven't cut the plexi yet. Trying to get a price from New wire to do it in 1/2" Luxmatt. CNC machine made cuts, curves and holes might be worth it.

I could put it there but then I would have to move my windlass controle. May end up doing that but for now think ima just put it up in the electronics box over head until I get a new AP system

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
So I worked up a drawing for New Wire. We'll see how much they want for 1/2" LuxMatte.
I'm sure there will be a lot of back & forth over the door. Did not see one cutout door on their site.
Garmin is centered on the helm.
Drawing is close to scale except the radiuses are not correct. Shit just realized the garmin spec is 1/4" not .5"

Cofka dash panel.jpg

SeaVee

Reaction score
Skunk- I used a local guy to cut my black Plexiglass and do the cutouts for 2 10 inch Garmins. Was about $100. Even did the screw holes for me. NorVa Plastics in Norfolk, Va

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm thinking about making custom panels with a CNC machine I have access to. Wonder if there is enough business word of mouth? Would be a side business. Let us know What NEW Wire charges for lux matte. I see there site estimates $200 - $4000, quite a range!

southernstyle995

Reaction score
Skunk- I used a local guy to cut my black Plexiglass and do the cutouts for 2 10 inch Garmins. Was about $100. Even did the screw holes for me. NorVa Plastics in Norfolk, Va
I'm local to you and I'm doing the same post some pics of yours

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
How did you come up with the spec for the radius corners? 2in is really round

As mentioned above, new wire has some vastly ranging estimates. Try to share some examples of what you are looking for, I think reverse mount is more costly...My estimate was 400 for a piece of 20in x 9in starboard so I just did myself even if it looks like a DIY project

Any reason you don’t want to switch to a starboard like material and be done with it??

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I've done 1/2" black starboard dash on my old boat and a lot of other projects. Easy to do (much easier than plexi!!!) but only looked "ok" .... didn't pop. That will be my fallback if I can't take the pain of their price.
It will definitely look better (especially those outside radiuses) done on a machine. I like the look of the 1/2" LuxMatte..I'm thinking it is like satin textured plexi

Its 29.5"x 10.5" with a couple cutouts, no switches or wiring, maybe a GW 265 Express logo, hidden mounting posts.

2" radius on the outside corners match up with the console radius. Look at the picture a few posts back...
I don't think very square corners will look good right next to those curves.

I also need the piece that will become the new cubby where my gauges used to be.
That will be the 3/16" ABS that looks like carbon fiber. Might get it done by them or do it myself.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had great luck with Fin Addict Marine in NC. They provided 1/2in starboard that matches the Grady color, cut to my drawing for the electronics panel. $48
Contact
Brown Towles

President

Fin-Addict Marine

P: 919-989-6813 x224

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You are right about the 2in. I thought the dash was more like that of the 208, 228, etc where the lid is about 1/2in.

I printed out the template from Boat Outfitters and didn’t turn off scaling the first time so my radius corners were way off.

That LuxMatte is nice...curious what they charge you for it.

As an FYI, there is a supposedly a guy in Forked River that I found on the New Marine site. Not sure if he does the install only or can just cut you the piece exactly how you want it. I reached out with no luck...

Shore Thing Marine
310 Paradise Point Way
Forked River NJ 08731

Phone: 732-604-5759
Email: shorethingelectronics@hotmail.com

wadeatl

Reaction score

I just redid my helm on my GW 275 with the NewWire LuxMatte. It was a turned out great and they were good guys to work with. The LuxMatte comes at a premium price but for me it was worth it for the look and feel. Matte2.jpegMatte1.jpeg

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I just redid my helm on my GW 275 with the NewWire LuxMatte. It was a turned out great and they were good guys to work with. The LuxMatte comes at a premium price but for me it was worth it for the look and feel.
They want $650 for my dash which is tough to justify because I can make it myself with 1/2" Starboard for under $100 with lots of material leftover.
Cut on CNC would look better but not $550 better...
What is the LuxMatte material like? It looks great in pix but I have never seen it for real. Is it a hard material like frosted plexiglass or is it more like Starboard?

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
They want $650 for my dash which is tough to justify because I can make it myself with 1/2" Starboard for under $100 with lots of material leftover.
What is the LuxMatte material like? It looks great in pix but I have never seen it for real. Is it a hard material like frosted plexiglass or is it more like Starboard?

If you like that material, maybe try contacting them via another method. I did through email and the estimate was absurd. KY Grady called them and they asked for $200 less and were going to do a panel twice as large. Tell them no reverse mount and go all basics....

SeaVee

Reaction score
Southern Style, I posted pics in Skunks “265 Mods” thread, I may have the Template if you want it

wadeatl

Reaction score

That estimate seems pretty high to me. My project for both panels and a bunch more hole cuts was around the price you have for your one piece. Call them and ask for Rob Snyder and he can walk you through where the costs are adding up.

In regards to the material, it feels more dense than Starboard and not at all like plexiglass. I really like the look and feel of the material. The flat surface is matte and the beveled sides are smooth.

Last edited:

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
So I just couldn't spend $650 so I bought a $45 piece of starboard and a $75 sheet of carbon fiber ABS and I'm bangin it out myself.

Some progress...View attachment 19468
Looking good Skunk. Is your electronics panel somehow attached from the back - which looks super clean if you pulled it off, or is it just resting for fit and not yet attached?