265 X water intrusion

Diad

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Put the plates back in and douse them with water. Do they leak excessively?

Throw some tape over those pie plates and weigh the stern down - that (and/or the above) will work well enough to prove/disprove if they're the source of the leak.
Holy Crap! Water was gushing into the bilge from all 3 plates. I just put the hose on and looked through the inside the cockpit access plate. Doesn’t take long at all to raise the float switch to turn on. New plates and 4200 will be here on Tuesday so I’m thinking that this was my problem. Thanks everyone!

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Holy Crap! Water was gushing into the bilge from all 3 plates. I just put the hose on and looked through the inside the cockpit access plate. Doesn’t take long at all to raise the float switch to turn on. New plates and 4200 will be here on Tuesday so I’m thinking that this was my problem. Thanks everyone!
So it that what's really happening? You have water over all the plates leaking into the boat when you are out on the water? How is that possible?

Leaking with the hose spray may be true but is that your problem? Fix it and see. Sticking plugs in the dike!

You need to a.) find out how much water you are dealing with b.) is it continuous or intermittent 3.) is the boat at risk of sinking 4.) how and where is it coming from.

Not clear to me if there is really a serious problem or just mass hysteria over some water in the bilge. Slow down and troubleshoot the problem.

They are all sinking - the only difference is how fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sardinia306Bimini

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Wire a light, and/or an alarm to that float switch circuit, so that you will know how often, and for how long the events are happening. It's a good thing to have, even if you don't have a problem.

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
So it that what's really happening? You have water over all the plates leaking into the boat when you are out on the water? How is that possible?

Leaking with the hose spray may be true but is that your problem? Fix it and see. Sticking plugs in the dike!

You need to a.) find out how much water you are dealing with b.) is it continuous or intermittent 3.) is the boat at risk of sinking 4.) how and where is it coming from.

Not clear to me if there is really a serious problem or just mass hysteria over some water in the bilge. Slow down and troubleshoot the problem.

They are all sinking - the only difference is how fast.
I would suspect that when he is weighted down with people in the back, the water is getting into the motor well area from the motor well drains. May need to replace the flaps on those as well or make sure they "close" flush.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I would suspect that when he is weighted down with people in the back, the water is getting into the motor well area from the motor well drains. May need to replace the flaps on those as well or make sure they "close" flush.
Well he should be able to see that. No clue about how much water or when it gets in. Probably nothing wrong with the boat.

Diad

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
3 Beckson screw in access plates 4200ed in. I’ll put the hose to it tomorrow to see if that fixed that potential contributor to the problem. I have some friends fishing Friday so we’ll see if I get water in elsewhere. I have the camera recommended above so I’ll bring that with.

Diad

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
So the plates were definitely part of the problem. Water intrusion has slowed a lot but I have a leak where the water goes back out to the thru hull flapper. It appears that the flange is broken and there is a hole down to the bilge. Whats the best way to repair this?

Attachments

• IMG_5550.jpeg
    IMG_5550.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5549.jpeg
    IMG_5549.jpeg
    942.8 KB · Views: 21

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Remove the old bronze tube, verify the wood core is good, let it dry and coat the core with epoxy a few times (letting it soak in), then replace the tube with the plastic one from TH Marine using a good sealant like LifeSeal (or similar) - do not use 3M5200 or even 3M4200 - you don't need anything that is an "adhesive" as it doesn't help here.

Diad

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Remove the old bronze tube, verify the wood core is good, let it dry and coat the core with epoxy a few times (letting it soak in), then replace the tube with the plastic one from TH Marine using a good sealant like LifeSeal (or similar) - do not use 3M5200 or even 3M4200 - you don't need anything that is an "adhesive" as it doesn't help here.
Thank you! This will be a December project so that i can let it dry out.