265express coaming vinyl project

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Another project to start. I need to start doing instead of starting....:rolleyes:
I have done this before on another boat using pvc board. This time I can use existing plastic backer.

Used the Sailrite website. BTW, they have a good video for this coaming project.
Went with 2" dry foam. Its going to be thicker than the existing.
They were out of light grey that was on there (probably replaced years ago by PO) so I had to go with WHITE. Nothing on my faded boat matches the cream color.
I went with the channeled vinyl for looks. Unchanneled would be half the price.
I don't have a sewing machine so will not use mesh at bottom. Will put in some brass grommets for drainage/ventilation.
Bought a pneumatic stapler because I don't think I want to use my manual stapler for that many staples. Plus, it has bump trigger!
T50 MONEL staples. I have 3/8" and 1/4".
FYI, ONLY use MONEL staples. Stainless Steel will bleed rust.
Will use Loctite spray adhesive.

There are two spots at bends where I may need to sew so I don't have a wrinkle. We'll see how that plays out.

coaming1.jpg Sailrite1.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Fowl Hooked

seasick

Reaction score
You will probably be able to make a folded pleat at the bend especially if using flat, non ribbed material. You can also to a point, use a heat gun to soften the vinyl to give a bit more stretch at the bend. Test a scrap piece first. The heat gun can melt and burn the vinyl if set too hot or held too long in one spot. Best bet is to store the materials in a warm spot before assembly.
Note that the vinyl gets installed and stapled ( lots of staples, almost one touching the next) and then the piping is applied with more staples. Don't try to staple both the vinyl and the piping at the same time

Fishtales

Reaction score
If you need to sew the corner use the existing as a template. I had one that was an outside 90 bend. I needed to make pie shaped pieces and sew about 6 of them together to make it work. Came out great.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Braintree

Reaction score
For anyone else looking at cushions, etc I bought my foam from Foam Factory. Prices were a little better than Sailrite. https://www.foamdistributing.com/dryfast-foam.html

ProductQuantityPriceSubtotal
Dryfast Foam
SheetSize: Half Sheet 90" x 25"
Thickness: 2"
1$46.99$46.99
Dryfast Foam
SheetSize: Half Sheet 50" x 45"
Thickness: 3"
1$69.99$69.99
Shipping: Free Shipping: $0.00
Sales Tax: $7.31
Total: $124.29

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Done! Only one major screw up but I was able to save it without buying more vinyl.
So i get the last piece all stapled and then go get the other two to look at them and thats when i see it. I mismarked the top of one side. It mattered because I was putting grommets on "the bottom". To flip the vinyl and fix my mistake I had to remove all staples, flip and add a seam at the small bend. It actually looks better. The other side bunches slightly without a seam.
Not a professional job but it only cost material and my crew will bury a treble hook in it by June anyways.
Its very different from the previous. Thicker and more squared off. I tested a side in the boat and it looks good and fits. I'm going to hold off on the piping/welting until I get the boat uncovered and try everything in place.

I used a Speedy Stitcher with 92# poly thread. Nifty tool. Only drew blood once...

265 coaming1.jpg265 coaming4.jpg265 coaming3.jpg
265 coaming6.jpg265 coaming8.jpg

Last edited:

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nice job! It's on my to do list, but I am thinking I will just make the corner two pieces. I have a couple of industrial sewing machines, including a Singer walking foot, so I will probably mock up a corner seam with some scrap, just to see how it looks.

seasick

Reaction score
Looks good. One comment: You should use more staples very close to each other.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Looks good. One comment: You should use more staples very close to each other.
heheh luckily I didn't because all those staples had to come out to fix it. Notice the grommet on the "top".

The finished product has more staples. If I use the welting it will get even more.