268 Captain's Chair Question

GradyZ

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I was using the chair the other day as a means to swing around the antenna and the damn thing comes out off the base sending me in the water with the chair in hand. Lucky the pads were on it otherwise it would have sank like my sunglasses did!

I cant figure out for the life of me how this mechanism tightens the collar. I tried hitting it with some PB blaster to see if it turns and it wont budge but I want to be sure. Has anyone seen this type of collar??? The handle on the far side is for the slide which works pretty well. Its the near side handle thats got me confused. Its attached to a U bolt that shows no signs of tightening.

Attachments

• PXL_20220620_133126633.jpg
    PXL_20220620_133126633.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19

BobH1

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yes. I have the same set up. And I can not seem to tighten down to stop the swivel. Just increase the drag.

Attachments

• 20220620_114344.jpg
    20220620_114344.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • 20220620_114415.jpg
    20220620_114415.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • 20220620_114422.jpg
    20220620_114422.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was using the chair the other day as a means to swing around the antenna and the damn thing comes out off the base sending me in the water with the chair in hand. Lucky the pads were on it otherwise it would have sank like my sunglasses did!

I cant figure out for the life of me how this mechanism tightens the collar. I tried hitting it with some PB blaster to see if it turns and it wont budge but I want to be sure. Has anyone seen this type of collar??? The handle on the far side is for the slide which works pretty well. Its the near side handle thats got me confused. Its attached to a U bolt that shows no signs of tightening.

Ha ha ha...wish we all coulda been there to see that! Musta been a funny scene.....sorry, couldn't help myself.

That handle is indeed for tightening the swivel action. If it is bottomed out on the thread and it is still wobbly, then yours may be the type that has a nylon shim that goes in that cup. It takes up that extra space and has a bottom in it so the downward pressure from sitting in the chair also glides on nylon, making the swivel easier......although yours seemed to swivel quite well to dump you in the water...ha ha ha....damn, I can't help it. If you can find a brand name for that seat spider, you can probably buy a replacement collar.

seasick

Reaction score
Something like this

There are different types ( in addition to diameters) so take a look at your other seat.

The rod that tightens the sleeve has a tendency to get corroded and hard to turn all the way. If tight, try some penetrating spray and use a vicegrip on the shaft. Do not try to unstick with a wrench on the knob. It will break off

Also not that by bottoming out, we mean that the space between the two flanges on the slider mount that are squeezed by tightening that know and rod, touch each other. They shouldn't with the bushing installed.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I never liked the adjustment mechanism on the factory seats....

GradyZ

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks everyone and thank you Bob for confirming my seat was factory!

When I was at WM the other day I grabbed one of those bushings thinking it had to have had one at some point.

Ill keep soaking with PB Blaster but of course Seasick I twisted that nylon knob right off.

Fishtales, seems overengineered to perfection!

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have the same chair and it never had a busing on it. I have tried to find the correct one for years with no luck. They have either been too big or too small.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have the same chair and it never had a busing on it. I have tried to find the correct one for years with no luck. They have either been too big or too small.
Me too.....bought what I could find and then started cutting releases in them to make them fit......kind of worked.

Reactions: Legend

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Mine are seized as well. Can't budge them. It's likely aluminum over stainless.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander