272 Sailfish has twin 150s is that too light?

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I am buying a 1994 with twin 150 4 stroke Yamahas
Is 300 HP too light?
Other similar years have bigger motors.]

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It's on the lighter side, sure. But a big factor is how YOU are going to use the boat. What is "needed" for one person and the way they use the boat is not necessarily what you need.

You said you "are buying it"... what were your thoughts after the test ride? How many people were onboard and how did you like the performance?

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Exactly what Dennis said... I mean, tons of 272s and 282s and close models out there with different configs. For me... eh.. I do not care to go fast.. but, power is sometimes essential.. would I balk at twin 150's? Not at all. Would people say "you cannot run it on that!"... yep.. there are some that would say it.

You don't know you are missing something if you are out there having fun, catching fish, able to do what you want.

If you have 2 272s next to each other and one has twin 225's and the other twin 150s, and you like the 225s but it is twice the price, well.. all comes down to perspective.

R

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Interesting
Appreciate the encouragement.
I don't plan on speeding around the Puget Sound or anything. They have a bit of hours on them
F150TXR 2004 they want 25k for the boat and I agreed
going down to take her out

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I did not give a deposit yet I can go drive out east and buy one with two bigger motors with less hours but they look worse than this one.
It is certified coast guard fishing rated. The Sound can get pretty dicey and I am hoping to mess around bays and BC area.

CCR Diver

Reaction score
I am about to get into the market for a 272, curious if during your search you had any pre buy surveys/inspections done and what kind of stuff they have found that I should look out for? (I will get an inspection done before any purchase of course).

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think that is light but as stated could work. I'd want twin 200s min.

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I am about to get into the market for a 272, curious if during your search you had any pre buy surveys/inspections done and what kind of stuff they have found that I should look out for? (I will get an inspection done before any purchase of course).
Yes I am buying an inspection and look for transom rot or issues and inspect any access hatches....

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I think that is light but as stated could work. I'd want twin 200s min.
They say these are what is what the boat requires yet they have 1200 hrs on each. I can't seem to make it ok and will take a test ride....

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Regardless of any other considerations about the boat, you want a print out of the engine run/rpm hours. Most boats have a lot of hours at idle, a lot at a good mid-range cruise rpm, and not too many in the top end range. If a lot of the hours are are in the high rpm range, or even in the upper midrange cruise, it is likely under powered.

Reactions: Ridge Runner
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Regardless of any other considerations about the boat, you want a print out of the engine run/rpm hours. Most boats have a lot of hours at idle, a lot at a good mid-range cruise rpm, and not too many in the top end range. If a lot of the hours are are in the high rpm range, or even in the upper midrange cruise, it is likely under powered.

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What a great idea How many hrs at high RPM It was a "tower" for a club and towed many rigs in with the twin 150s and the hrs are kinda high on each....

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That its primary use may have been towing makes me wonder about the propeller selection too. What is it turning?

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That its primary use may have been towing makes me wonder about the propeller selection too. What is it turning?

Agree Me buying a lightly powered tow rig, I wonder if the hook is warped now or the engines kind of beat....what prop?
It was(is) well cared for. I just can't seem to shake the "me paying up for two low powered used expensive outboards".
The rig is in better condition that any I have seen yet I wish it at least had 200s....

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
... I don't plan on speeding around the Puget Sound or anything. They have a bit of hours on them
F150TXR 2004...

1200 hours isn’t low but a properly maintained 4-stroke can run upwards of 5000 hours so I wouldn’t say the number of hours is an absolute dealbreaker. Looking at their age (2004) they’re only averaging a little less than 100 hours a year.

Underpowered might be true if you’re looking at long runs at cruising speed but it can’t be too bad if the boat was in service for that long.

Food for thought; my friends run 150s on their 208s and I have a 250 in mine. The HP difference is only noticeable when we’re running out to the spots in flat water (most of the time 18-20 kts is as fast as the conditions will allow). Otherwise, they burn 1-1.5 gph less at trolling speed so at the end of the day it’s a wash.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
1200 hours isn’t low but a properly maintained 4-stroke can run upwards of 5000 hours so I wouldn’t say the number of hours is an absolute dealbreaker. Looking at their age (2004) they’re only averaging a little over 100 hours a year.

Underpowered might be true if you’re looking at long runs at cruising speed but it can’t be too bad if the boat was in service for that long.

Food for thought; my friends run 150s on their 208s and I have a 250 in mine. The HP difference is only noticeable when we’re running out to the spots in flat water (most of the time 18-20 kts is as fast as the conditions will allow). Otherwise, they burn 1-1.5 gph less at trolling speed so at the end of the day it’s a wash.
Hmmm you give me food for thought here. I am frugal by nature and I take pause now on this feedback...I have started to move over to whalers yet this boat is bigger and has a head with more room for me (6 ft 4 in) in foul weather. I feel for the money it would be a better ride on the sound and the whaler thing is a bit of a feeding frenzy I feel.
Glad to read your thoughts...

GWL139

Reaction score
Website
www.jerseycapeyachtsales.com
Model
Gulfstream
My personal opinion is to max out the HP rating for the hull, or come very close. Those 150s may move the boat, but will be straining to do so and will burn more fuel in the process. Higher HP motors will offer better performance and fuel economy won't suffer due to the reduced strain on the engines. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: ScottyCee

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
My personal opinion is to max out the HP rating for the hull, or come very close. Those 150s may move the boat, but will be straining to do so and will burn more fuel in the process. Higher HP motors will offer better performance and fuel economy won't suffer due to the reduced strain on the engines. Just my 2 cents.

I’ll agree that reserve power is always a good thing to have but max hull hp might be completely overkill and there are some applications where the conditions don’t allow for use of anywhere near max hp/full throttle. I have to admit, though, it is fun to punch the throttle and instantly be on plane :cool:

Respectfully have to disagree on the fuel economy suffering with a lower hp motor as a general statement; I’ve seen it go both ways depending on speed and load. Lighter motors mean less weight and a smaller wetted surface/less drag but higher hp motor could run a higher pitch prop and run at lower rpms for the same speed.

More important would be the overall setup of the boat/motor. Are the motors set at the right height and propped correctly for the application?