272 sailfish

ALEX & I

Reaction score
I am looking at 272 sailfish with 225 ox 66 ,s .I am looking for some fuel burn #,s and what size props you guys are running also thank,s .

Winged Pig

Reaction score
Not sure of the size of the prop, I'll have to check on it. My fuel burn numbers are a bit less than the factory numbers say it should be, but not by much. I cruise at 4000 rpm and burn 1.4 to 1.5 mpg depending on sea state at 31 to 32 mph. I top out in the mid forties but other than to check things I never run that fast.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If i recall correctly, on average day heading offshore, we cruised around 27-30 knots burning about 22-23 GPH. At slower speed, we could get 18-20. But it all depends on conditions, wave action etc. max speed is 45 or so and you dont want to know what the burn rate is there only that i rarely ever ran at max speed except once in awhile. boat holds roughly 200 gallons and we never came close to running out ... Even when we went to 461 lump (down by Washington), trolled all day, ran to lumpy bottom and then home.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You can run the EFIs up to 4500 and still get decent MPG. At 4500, with 4 bars on the trim, I could make 29-30 kts and with about 1.4 - 1.5 MPG (statute). Of course this requires tabs up and good sea conditions. A 60nm trip to the stream on a 12 hour day would roughly burn around 130-140g. That includes trolling at 1300-1400 RPM.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Megabytes you talking about your Marlin right?? No way am I getting 4-bars of trim, wish I could. 3-bars tops but only in perfect conditions and an empty hot water heater and nothing in the bow. With gas stupid expensive I'm cruising at about 3700 RPM and 17-GPH. MPG flickers between 1.5 & 1.6.

1998sailfish

Reaction score
I get about the same as Grady28 fully loaded with 200 gallons of fuel I can sometimes squeak out 19 gph at 27 mph. When you bump up to the max speed (43-45) the burn rate seems to match the speed..... :cry:

heycharlie

Reaction score
never did see Prop size posted, On my 272 sailfish 225 ox66, I have Yamaha (14.25?) 21" props .. I assume it came set up that way
boat does drop off plane @ 24/25 mph , wondering if a 4 blade 20" would help keep it up on plane on rougher days when you can't run higher speed?
Or if that just part of the V2 hull design?

heycharlie

Reaction score
Figured I post my findings and maybe help others looking for prop info On grady 272's

I contacted several places and people , The Best info said 15.25 X 17.
Since I was currently running 3 blade 21's, 17 seemed a pretty good drop , so I installed some 4 blade 15.25x 18's Yesterday.
Water conditions did not allow me to run WOT but in the 10/15 minutes I ran The boat-- It gets up on plane immediately!! , Holds plane at much slower speeds than before and seems to ride Higher in water making for a much softer ride.. also less blow out on turns.
Props really seem to "grip the water" slip is much less and I plan to run "the numbers" after I Get more time on water.

yamaha 15x 21's were on boat when I bought it.. Don't know if they were original install.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Can't wait to hear about this. Does anyone have their cavitation plates under water?? Mine are just below the surface and if I trim up anymore the engines suck air. What is the average cost of the 4-blades so I can figure a return on investment? Did they let you try a couple different size props as loaners?

heycharlie

Reaction score
I wrote down few numbers while out fishing yesterday ,
The low RPM and mid RPM were showing Very low slip! to the point I was wondering if they were wrong,, But ran them again and again.. must have been right!
The WOT was 5100 and 41/42 MPH which was about 14% slip-- which is AWESOME for our 272. (4500-5500 is rec wot)

I did find a leak in fuel line that was sucking air in on one motor-- Repaired and will run prop numbers again next trip. but the performance of the boat already has me thinking, I wonder why most don't check/change their props-- It can make such a great difference!

The prop were @ $400 + each (saw some that were 7 to 800$ ) I went from 25% slip to 14! That was a WOT, I run at low speeds most the time while trolling and mids when running, to/ from-- So if it saves 10% of my fuel cost. ( thinking I will get more ) This should pay for the new prop in no time with fuel savings!
But- just the nicer ride is well worth the cost!

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I don't believe that's much different then the stock 3-blades, maybe a bit lower. Real question is the fuel burn. What were your flowscans saying?

heycharlie said:
I wrote down few numbers while out fishing yesterday ,
The low RPM and mid RPM were showing Very low slip! to the point I was wondering if they were wrong,, But ran them again and again.. must have been right!
The WOT was 5100 and 41/42 MPH which was about 14% slip-- which is AWESOME for our 272. (4500-5500 is rec wot)

I did find a leak in fuel line that was sucking air in on one motor-- Repaired and will run prop numbers again next trip. but the performance of the boat already has me thinking, I wonder why most don't check/change their props-- It can make such a great difference!

The prop were @ $400 + each (saw some that were 7 to 800$ ) I went from 25% slip to 14! That was a WOT, I run at low speeds most the time while trolling and mids when running, to/ from-- So if it saves 10% of my fuel cost. ( thinking I will get more ) This should pay for the new prop in no time with fuel savings!
But- just the nicer ride is well worth the cost!

heycharlie

Reaction score
I do not have flow scan, (or don't know how to get it to show) only 3 guages.. if that tells you anything.
I don't write down numbers like I should either-- but I figure" it is what it is".. ( I will spend what it cost to fish)
I ran out to ocean yesterday, overall ran 40 miles further away but burnt 25gals less fuel!

And it was less than Ideal day, ( broke window in a friend boat!) , Can't wait to see what it does on near flat water long runs

heycharlie

Reaction score
Tucker said:
I don't believe that's much different then the stock 3-blades, maybe a bit lower. Real question is the fuel burn. What were your flowscans saying?

I have nothing to gain from telling lies. I am just sharing info, hoping to help others.
Your remark, whatever the intent was, is an example of reasons many don't post.

heycharlie

Reaction score
Winged Pig said:
Not sure of the size of the prop, I'll have to check on it. My fuel burn numbers are a bit less than the factory numbers say it should be, but not by much. I cruise at 4000 rpm and burn 1.4 to 1.5 mpg depending on sea state at 31 to 32 mph. I top out in the mid forties but other than to check things I never run that fast.

272, twin 225 ox66's-- On almost flat water with my 15.25 x 18 4 blade props, running 3600rpm, I am running just over 30mph Wish I had fuel burn meter.

seamedic

Reaction score
Just bought a 1990 Sailfish and I burn about 12gph at 3200rpm speed 23knot. It is a merc-cruiser inboard/outboard, they don't make them like that anymore, but I enjoy it so far.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I wish I were seeing some of these numbers on my boat. 1999 with the extended running surface, twin OX66's 225's. I cruise around 3800-4000 rpm and see 1.25mpg at 27mph. That's with half to full tanks and usually 4 people minimum trimmed to the third or fourth bar on the gauge depending on conditions.

I might have seen 1.4 once with just 2 of us and flat conditions in the bay. I know my props need to be tuned, figuring that might make the difference. They are the stock 17p SS Yamaha Props.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The 4-blade props seem to be the way to go. I think they're $500-$600 each so guys that use their boats often will see a quicker payback. The Marlin is a real gas-hog with the 250's. A guy in my marina with '98 Marlin just got a pair and waiting to see his results.

seamedic

Reaction score
My engine is a Mercruiser MPI 7.4 LX. Not sure on the outdrive. They guy I bought it from got a Marlin with twin 2 strokes Yamaha's he is hating his gas bill, but plans to re-power with 4 strokes.