28 Marlin

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Good morning everyone, My name is Glen and I am getting ready to buy a 1989 Marlin. I have negotiated a price of 11000.00 with a 2007 Tri axle loadrite trailer.
I have taken the boat out a couple times, runs well, no misses. Runs 23 knots at 4200 rpm, Has the original Yamaha 200 motors hanging out back. Everything works. that I know of, except the microwave , no biggie. cosmetically needs some work, but I can get her looking pretty good by next season. Boat is kept in water year round, so it needs scraping and bottom paint. Curtains and upholstery need replacing, but that can come in time.I looked in bilge and I see no water at all. I know in time things are going to nickel and dime me, but I know that going in.
My question is, everyone I talk to keeps telling me there has got to be something wrong with this boat..No way can you get it this cheap..The owner has always been honest about all the questions I have asked, and seems like a straight up guy. I know eventually the motors will have to be replaced, but I believe the Hull will out last me.
Any opinions/comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Glen

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Going STRICTLY on the values given at NADA, it comes in between $15K-$17K. But that is just a guide. With old boats, you can often throw away the 'book' values as it depends more on what it is and how it compares to others out there.

Have you had a hull survey done? A mechanical survey? That could end up being the best money you've ever spent. It will either tell you that (a) you've got a great deal there, (b) walk away as there are numerous issues or somewhere in between. Unless you're confident in your skills to diagnose engine issues (including compression) and to be able to spot any soft spots in stringers/transom/floor, possible cracks in the hull hiding under the many years of bottom paint, brake issues with the trailer, etc, hiring a pro is very much advisable.

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Thank You for your quick response. I shall call a local surveyor and ask him to check it for me.
Thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That's one of the best things you can do. Ask around for referals - maybe check with local marinas. Don't necessarily go with a surveyor that the boat owner gives. And make sure YOU pay for the survey - if the owner pays for the survey, guess who the surveyor is working for?

Good luck - I hope it all works out! If it does, it certainly does sound like a good deal.

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Talked to 2 surveyors today, comparable in price, 24.00 per foot, boat only, waiting on quote for the 2 motors.. Might be the best 1000.00 I spend on the boat.
Hope it all works out well, I sure do love that boat.. I need to be Striper fishing the Chesapeake Bridge Tunnel the end of the year.

suzukidave

Reaction score
a boat like that appeals to a small group of buyers. i think the motors are a big part of the low price. there are not many people looking to buy a boat that old and that big to work on it, and then you add pre=1990 motors and scare off a bunch of them.

my 190 is clean, the engine runs perfectly and it is turn key and needs nothing. it is completely sound but it is a 1986 with a 1985 motor. i consigned it at a broker this fall and the broker said 2/3 of the people looking for a boat like that who came in would not even consider it because of the age, especially the motor.

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Survey will be done Tuesday . Hopefully everything pans out. I will keep you all posted. Thanks for the info.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My biggest concern would be the transom - you don't want to deal with having to do this right off the bat:

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27833

There is a big aluminum bracket in there that might confuse the surveyor's moisture meter. You see the bracket after it was removed by clicking on the 4th photo of the 8th post.

Good luck

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Transom repair.. Ownership is getting scary..lol.. I feel good about the boat, looking forward to tinkering with it..Will be a great dad and son project , and catching a few stripers wouldn't hurt either.
Thanks for all the help everyone, it's much appreciated.

Another Distraction

Reaction score
Just buy it, it's $11k and the trailer is worth at least $3K.

If you have money and know boats I'm not sure I would spend $1k to survey an $8k boat. The surveyor is going to write you a book on it and then you'll pass.

GreatWhite23

Reaction score
Bought a 91 marlin with twin ox66 250. The boat was in ok shape cosmically. Cabin had alot of mold. Motors where in good shape all gas lines hoses ect had been replaced. Radar outriggers ect(Fully Rigged). It had been fished every year and maintained accordingly. I paid 14,500 and felt dam good. They way I looked at it 1. Just a fishing boat 2. Put another 5,500 in her and she will be in darn good shape. 3. What can I buy for 20K and not have to put 5500 into it?? Have I exceeded the worth of the boat? 4. Will she meet my needs.(going out 60 plus miles) Took alittle time to get use to her nicks and quirks. Got a lot of excellent help from this site Thanks. Any older boat will have its issues no different then a car. How was it maintained??? 11 k sounds like a great deal. Do you have any pics??? Survey is important hull transom ect. They do get pretty picky thew.

Another Distraction

Reaction score
The motor mounting bolts are above the water line which is good for the transom. Put the boat on the trailer and just before you pay him stand on the lower gear cases with them tilted up 20 degrees and see what happens. If nothing pay the man and go fishing.

Also with that year Yamaha's listen to them idle. If they rattle it's not good but....again it's only $8k.

Greatwhite 23, what do you run for speed/RPM? Do you have fuel management on those yamahas?

GreatWhite23

Reaction score
My fuel burn is 1 mpg running about 4200. My trim tabs are not working so the motors have been trimed down not running to their potential. After thanksgiving I am going to pull her home(middle of NC) to redo cabin( liners cushions lights ect) clean out gas tanks New trim tabs repaint motors, new threw hull fittings. And find the hot water heater. Thinking the previous owner might have taken it out. Yes I do have fuel management. Need to replace display to be able to read. My props are 17 wondering if 19 would be better.

Another Distraction

Reaction score
1 MPG, not bad! The 280 is better on fuel and faster than the 300. You must fly. At 4150 I'm cruising 26.2 knots with my 280 has carbed yamaha 200's. I'm curious to my fuel burn so I bought the garmin fuel flow sensors for next season. Too cold now.

The hot water tank is behind the Port aft cabin wall.

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Yes, you are right, I really just want a second opinion on the motors Hull.. This second opinion is going to cost me, I know. Its just that this thing has been online for sale for a few months, and Im the only one that's even offering him anything, that's the part that scares me. Paying a thousand for a 8 thousand dollar boat does seem crazy, I just need a second opinion. Seller and surveyor finally got a date to do it.. Next Saturday.. I have tons of pics, but am having a hard time getting them on here, I'll figure it out soon, I do love the look of this boat..I hope everything works out.
Thanks everyone, I will keep all of you posted.
Glen

qdiver

Reaction score
I'm all for going with an older boat, I could not afford a new one anyways if I wanted one.
I bought my 93 Seafarer 2 years ago and had to do some repairs here & there but nothing major thank God. If your fairly handy you will be fine but if not go knewer... I did not get a survey as I'm fairly knowledgeable with boats and did a comp. test on motor and a sea trial, the floor was solid and the hull & stringers looked good underneath (it was kept on a rack) I guess I got lucky too that I found a good Hull and fairly new motor...BUT that 280 is allot more boat with twins a survey would be a good Idea if you feel at the least uncomfortable with the boat especially if it's been kept in a slip.
That is a great price though, keep us posted I like to see how it went for you and Good Luck !!
Miguel

BTW.. some pics would be awesome!

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Survey completed today, Everything seemed to go fine. Found some Hull delamination, but nothing serious, and should not be a deal breaker. He appraised the boat at around 25K with the trailer. He said with the delamination, and a few other minor problems, I should offer the seller 20k, When I told him I was paying 11k, he said buy iy.. Compression test was consistent to what it should be, all cylinders within 10 from each other..
He stated that Nowhere will I find a 28ft fiberglass boat, that runs great, with a tri axle trailer for under 20K.
Anyway, looks like I will be buying me a boat within the next week, Going out of town for holidays, hopefully will take possession next weekend.
Thank You all for your advice, I look forward to talking to all you guys in the near future.