28 Marlin

Tatt00z

Reaction score
I have taken possession of the boat..Haven't really towed anything that large, but got her home safely. I left out of town the next day for the holiday, I'll be back home Sunday to really get to know her. I will keep you all posted, maybe get some pictures up.
And I'm sure Im going to have a million questions in the upcoming months.
Thanks again, Glen

qdiver

Reaction score
Congrats Glen... she looks good. That's has to be at least 10,000 lbs to tow trailer and all.... :goodjob

oh yea, now the fun begins...

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate it. I was a bit hesitant because price was so low, the surveyor told me to jump all over, anyway figured out how to post pics, heres another.. She a little dirty, but will be tip top shape real soon. Missing the bolster on stern, any ideas on where to get a inexpensive replacement.
Glen

suzukidave

Reaction score
that looks like a hell of a deal. congrats.

if you search here you will find threads about how to diy the combing bolsters. yours look to be the same as mine which means they require no sewing. if you remove the other bolsters you will see the construction is just folded over fabric and staples into a backing sheet of plywood.

you will need to buy marine grade staples, plywood, epoxy to seal the plywood, mounting studs, seaquest brand chalk coloured 1.5" quilted fabric and some precut dryfast foam.

Mr Honey Do

Reaction score
Hi Glen,
I haven't been on the site in a while, and just found your post.
im reading this and am like screaming " buy the boat!!!"
Then I finally get to the end and see you did get it.
I bought the exact same boat last yeat this time.
mine is a '91
I paid $13k,, no motors.
you got a hell of a deal!!!!!!
I put ox66 250s on mine
I hit 30 kts at 4200 rpm
I put 4 blade ss 17 degree on both.
it moves the boat very well.
I would wait on going to 19 degrees.
get the trim tabs working first.
get yourself a mechanic who knows those yamaha s well
and have him go thru them well.
then see how it runs.
the boat will clean up well, especially if you have it in your driveway.
Get rid of the gas thats in the tanks,,,, if its been sitting awhile.
otherwise you ll be fine, find an upholstery guy who has references and pictures.

Congratulations, ,,,, you got a great deal.....like the other guys said,
you can spend $$$ on a 50k boat too!! Because there boats you'll
always spend money on em...

best, Michael

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Thanks Michael, I can't wait to get home tomorrow and start playing with it. I'm going to winterize everything tomorrow, take it to the marina where I will be keeping it in a slip, but I will leave on trailer til spring. Unfortunately the previous owner filled the tank to the top.. He never used the auxiliary tank since he only fished the Chesapeake Bay close to home. Then once it gets a little closer to season, I'll start scraping and painting the bottom. I would like to get a mooring cover, have no idea what that will cost.. and just start getting to know her before I get out in the bay. The biggest boat I ever owned was a 23 ft Chris Craft, so I'm sure there will be some getting used too, and I think it will be a great way to teach my 15 yr old son the art of maintaining a boat. Thanks for the encouraging words.
Glen

Another Distraction

Reaction score
Nice, I saw that exact first picture posted on Craigslist. Small world.

I just bought new chair cushions from Pompanette ($460) and will list my old ones if you need them. I think your picture shows no cushions on the back of the helm chairs.

I'm not sure I would buy that missing combing pad for the transom because you don't lean against it and that new one will make the others look old.

Enjoy it!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Good deal! I'm glad it's working out for you.

Gas tank filled? Heck, that's not something to be sad about! As long as it's been properly treated, I absolutely fine to leave it filled. In fact, unless you can completely empty it, it's preferred. You can check with the owner to see what kind of gas is in there and what type of additives he used. But unless you're 100% confident that the right stuff is in there, I would put some in. You can't go wrong by putting extra in, anyways. Something like Startron (stabilizer and ethanol-fighter) and Yamaha's Ringfree. Even if the gas doesn't have ethanol in it, Startron (and some others) is still fine to use.

If you have any projects you want to work on over the Winter, you can build a simple frame to box the back end, then have it shrinked and add a door. I did that to mine last Winter to rip out and replace the entire cockpit floor. I even used a heater!

Mr Honey Do

Reaction score
Glen,
thats a great idea Dennis has....
if your wife and neighbors don't mind.
frame in the boat, shrink it, and there it is close to home
To be able to access your garage and tools easily.
That will save so much time. The cost of framing in and not to
mention the storage costs from the marina.
you have a 15 yr old son, as well? Whow! That's $$$ in the bank!
And no doubt you two will have priceless moments working on it,
fishing from it, and enjoying it. He will have a greater appreciation for it
as well.
The gas might be alright....yes put some additives in there, espacially
a water remover. Change those fuel filters!!
Congratulations again.
michael

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Got home last night, woke up this morning, gutted boat, actually just took everything out. Broke out pressure washer, did the bottom, all barnacles are gone. Winterized fresh water system, added 52 dollars worth of seafoam to the gas, started engines, then let them run out, drained float bowl. Boat cleaned up nice, need a new windshield wiper and motor, not sure where to start looking for that. Took boat to marina, will leave on trailer til early spring, then bottom paint. All the upholstery is good except the seat cushions at helm. One gentleman wants to sell me his used ones he replaced, sorry I don't remember the name, this page wont let me go back and see. Anyway, mine need to be reupholstered, send me a pic of yours if they aren't ripped, and maybe we can deal if they are in good shape.
Thanks, Glen

Another Distraction

Reaction score
DennisG01. You and I may have disagreed on the hot water tank antifreeze but not on the level of fuel to leave in a tank. 100% full or 100% empty.

Another Distraction

Reaction score
Tattooz, I thought you had zero seat cushions and were sitting on plastic so I threw it out there. These have no rips or issues but they're old. If you have a set just have them redone.

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Cushions came with it, but they are beat up.. If you have a set with no tears or rips I certainly would like to see them.

GreatWhite23

Reaction score
Congrats on your boat. She looks like she has been well cared for. Beautiful boat. Put our marlin away today until spring (4 months in NC) When do you guys hit the water water up there April May???

Tatt00z

Reaction score
I'm hoping to get scraped and painted and start Rockfishing by early April.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Another Distraction said:
DennisG01. You and I may have disagreed on the hot water tank antifreeze but not on the level of fuel to leave in a tank. 100% full or 100% empty.

To be honest, I always thought it sounded a little fishy that you couldn't put AF in the heater, but when a "knowledgeable" rep of the manufacturer tells me "no", well, who am I to second guess? I guess since I never found a need to put it in anyways, I never thought more about it. Thanks again for following up on that and finding out it is OK.