282 Sailfish Cabin Moisture Control

OGBobbyG

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What's up guys. I keep my 2002 282 Sailfish on a lift in the Florida Keys and having a difficult time dealing with the insane moisture levels in the cabin of the boat which I know is causing a tremendous amount of pre mature wear and aging. the boaat often sits for months in this very high moisture environment. I really want to get some kind of small dehumidifier to keep control the moisture, one that has a drain hose that I can run into the sink. I really don't like the heat ones that a lot of people use. In the summer that cabin gets crazy hot. Any ideas?

seasick

Reaction score
I find that the DampRid containers work really well but only if you replace them as they get used up. Do not pour the liquids down the sink since the chemicals in the product are fairly corrosive.
I buy mine in one of the warehouse stores. The lavender scented ones are sickening to me. The fresh scent s much better.
Put two canisters in the cabin and see how long they last.
If your boat is covered when not used that can make matters worse. The trick is to get some air flowing. If practical keep a window open a tad or even consider a small fan for circulation.

Reactions: OGBobbyG

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I'm in Central Florida on the Gulf Coast and have had a 30 pint dehumidifier in the cabin for years and it seems to keep both cabin and the helm (enclosed with canvas) relatively dry and mildew free. It was a real problem before getting it. I too am on a lift and it may be almost as humid as the keys. I set it on a towel on the stove and it drains into the galley sink. There are larger ones but this size is easy to stow when I get underway. Most are made in China and seem to last about 5 years. I've been thru a couple but they are definitely worth it. I think I paid $139 for my last one at Home Depot.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have used bags/buckets, as well, with great results. But I think that what any of use up here in the Northeast - or anywhere in a less humid climate - probably isn't going to cut it down where you are. One thing I'd add, though (and maybe it won't make much of a difference) is to make sure your bow is high enough to keep the cabin bilge drained to the aft bilge to keep as much water out of the cabin as possible. It's probably not making much of a difference, but I figure it can't hurt!

OGBobbyG

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish

OGBobbyG

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'm in Central Florida on the Gulf Coast and have had a 30 pint dehumidifier in the cabin for years and it seems to keep both cabin and the helm (enclosed with canvas) relatively dry and mildew free. It was a real problem before getting it. I too am on a lift and it may be almost as humid as the keys. I set it on a towel on the stove and it drains into the galley sink. There are larger ones but this size is easy to stow when I get underway. Most are made in China and seem to last about 5 years. I've been thru a couple but they are definitely worth it. I think I paid $139 for my last one at Home Depot.
I think I am going to give this a swing thanks for the insight.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I think I am going to give this a swing thanks for the insight.
Yep, tried the absorption products with poor results. They filled up and stopped working in a week or two. The heaters don't remove water they just raise the temp thereby reducing relative humidity. What I use drips water out of the cabin continuously, more so in humid conditions.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Last edited:

JustEnough

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
I might try something like this, but I'm nervous about leaving it on during the really moist hot summer months. Possible fire hazard?
No issues with common sense use. I keep a big one on my boat and a small one on my dinghy.

teaklejr

Reaction score
We use something like this, just put it in the sink and pull drainplug out of unit so it just drains overboard. So far has worked very good. This is assuming you have a place to plug it in. We leave it running all week while not at boat. This is a Amazon link to one I found while looking quickly.

Sailfish

Reaction score
I have a humidifier glued to a scrap of seadek that I keep in the head compartment. It drains via a plastic hose into the floor drain. It cycles on and off based on humidity level. I also leave my AC on dehumidification mode.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It gets very humid in summer here in NC. I have gone through many iterations of ways to keep the humidity down in the cabin and control mildew/mold.
The dehumidifiers do work, rigged to drain in the sink, however I was only able to get about a year or so before they quit. But, I still had mold issues.
Long story short, I put a box fan in the cabin and run it constantly. No more issues. I did have to purchase an ozone generator to kill the mold/mildwew to regain control and now all is fine. No more issues in the cabin. The air circulation is the key!

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I try o keep circulation moving through open windows and hatch along with constant use of a fan. During the winter storage absorption bags are great

Fishtales

Reaction score
No issues with common sense use. I keep a big one on my boat and a small one on my dinghy.
Mine stopped working one time and I replaced the part that regulates the unit (can't recall if temp or current protection). It was an easy fix and has worked for a number of years now.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Some folks up north use a small light fixture with the incandescent bulb in the cabin when at the dock. The heat is enough in some climates to keep mildew away.

OGBobbyG

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Alright guys this is what I did over the weekend. I got the cheapest smallest de-humidifier for the cabin of my Grady. I put the exit pipe in the drain in the floor. Check out the video.

- Bobby G

Reactions: A&J Outdoors