282 Sailfish Canvas and Seats

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
A&J did my new enclosure and had no issues with it fitting in existing track. It does fit tighter since it's new at the start, but now that I've had it for a couple of years, slides right in. In these few years I've had the new enclosure, I've had it all up maybe 5 times. Mainly use complete enclosure in the fall while fishing. I've used the front 4 pieces more just for spray protection than anything.

Capnjim7

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
So what was the final outcome? Mine fit perfectly from A n J.. I did notice though that when the guys installed them that they had to make a couple of snips at the end to make that precise.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Enclosures: A&J all day long. If you can, send them your existing so they can pattern.

Bolsters and seat recovering: I think the best is learn how to do it yourself. I'm doing my bolsters now. Material and tools (including pneumatic stapler. 3/8" monel staples, phifertex, pleated and flat vinyl, marine thread, firm closed cell foam, adhesive, silk film, walking foot for sew machine, dovetail saw for foam, brass grommets, grommet tool - the whole shebang to do all 6 cockpit bolsters - around $400).

Seats: After doing the bolsters, I will focus on the aft folding seat and the companion seat. I don't think these are rocket science either.

Interior is last. Once I get the above down, I think the cabin cushions, curtains and the like will be easy. Going to go with marine vinyl and sunbrella fabric for this.

seasick

Reaction score
The Keder rail, or awning track, comes in several sizes, as does the piping that slides into it. 5/16 of an inch, four, six, 7 mm, etc. if AJ did your canvas, you would expect them to get it right on a Grady, but I would double check and ask what size they used.
If the new piping is wider than the track, the panel insertion will get tight pretty quickly. If the old track is tight due to dirt and crud, the panel tends to get a little tighter the further it is slid in. Some tracks are just so oxidized that they may not be usable. Since you spent good money on the curtains, you may want to replace the tracks; a job which in theory is easy. Just make sure you get the correct profile and size.

Sometimes, just scrubbing the inside of the track will help. It can be a pain to get inside the groove but if you can use a decent detergent and a brush. A tooth brush may work. If the fit is now better, treat the track with a lubricant meant for the job.