282 Sailfish Groco Macerator replacement/conversion.

JamesT

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Well it’s time for me to replace my in tank Groco macerator pump and I would like to convert it to an external pump design. Can someone help me find some pictures and a description of this process on a Sailfish. Also, I am assuming that I will need to remove the hatch on deck to allow for proper access to the tank? Thanks, Jamie

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Well it’s time for me to replace my in tank Groco macerator pump and I would like to convert it to an external pump design. Can someone help me find some pictures and a description of this process on a Sailfish. Also, I am assuming that I will need to remove the hatch on deck to allow for proper access to the tank? Thanks, Jamie
I have had to access mine on occasion. I have always accessed it from inside the aft berth, there is a panel that has to be removed and it is not an easy access situation. I have seen a couple of posts on here with detailed photos on changing from an internal to an external macerator.

Last edited:

JamesT

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Have you ever pulled the hatch from the deck? If so, how difficult was the process to remove and reseal?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Last edited:

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The Large floor panel in the middle of the deck.
The panels are not complicated to get up, They do take a bit of time because of all the caulking that that has to be cut and the residue has to be scraped of the panel. Just a reminder, even if you remove the floor panel you will not gain access to the head tank and macerator. The only way to get to it on my 2004 is through the back wall panel in the aft berth. Good luck

Reactions: Zebulon

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi there. For what it's worth, the same is true on my '95 272: the holding tank and macerator are located under and behind the aft cabin. In order to trace a leak recently, I had to take out the walls of the aft cabin, and also pull up the floor of the aft cabin. It was a bit like taking apart a puzzle, trying to remember how each piece went back together.

JamesT

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thank you for all your help and advice.. I have only owned this boat for approximately 1 year and it is being kept in dry dock 1 state away. I absolutely love the boat but have not had much time to spend investigating the inner workings of it like my previous vessels. All time on board so far has been family time. Thank for your input. Jamie

fellinger

Reaction score
So, on the link that was provided where the pump is mounted externally; does it still have the ability to pump overboard?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
So, on the link that was provided where the pump is mounted externally; does it still have the ability to pump overboard?

Yes it just one of a couple of posts that show how the internal macerator /pump was mover to an external pump located on the outside of the tank.

Fishtales

Reaction score
That is a solid ideal. I dread the day I have to go after that job.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Just make sure you put a really good thread sealant on the pickup tube side. I converted about 2 years ago and this year was struggling to get it to start pulling out the waste. Finally found that the thread sealant had not worked and was sucking in air. Since, I have fixed it and it pulls like new again. Have heard others complain of the same issue and likely it is the seals are compromised somewhere either on threads or clamps.

Another Distraction

Reaction score
Don't convert it, that's so "bayliner"! I put a new graco 155 in mine and that pump is first class quality. Well worth the $. Swapped it in 20 minutes.

Reactions: sailUSVI