283 vs 306 canyon

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Damn… over $4k a year just in fuel expenses? I partially filled up the fuel tank on my boat twice last summer, each time it was around 40-50 gallons for a total of probably 100 gallons or so. Gasoline was right around $5.35 or so all summer for ethanol free, so a total of probably $500 ish.

Fishtales

Reaction score
If you are worrying about fuel cost, you are in the wrong game. Get a yak!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm definitely a bit of a fair weather fisherman as well as a bit on the frugal side, but my goodness I simply couldn't justify spending over $4k a year just on fuel costs alone for my boat. On top of that you've got other maintenance, insurance, bait/gear, ice, food, drinks and everything else, which is only going to increase the price from there. Fortunately I've got a beach cabin on Whidbey Island, of which I also do in fact have a kayak to where I'll paddle out to my boat on the buoy and then basically start trolling for salmon from there. I'd say maybe 1/4-1/3 of the time I'll motor over to Edmonds or over to Point No Point if the fishing near the cabin is slow, of which both of those areas are less than 10-15 miles each way. But dang, if I lived 50-100+ miles away from the fishing grounds then I'd honestly just tow the boat to where I needed to launch it at, move to a different location where the fishing was considerably closer or I'd probably find a new hobby. While I do love fishing, I also love spending time with family and friends, old cars, sporting events, golfing, hiking, camping and a multitude of other hobbies as well.

nightfighter

Reaction score
The 306 I'm looking at is in Glouceter. "Celtic Mist". Know the boat? A new listing by Baert Marine.
I see that boat still listed with Baert here six months later. What do you know about this one? I wonder if there has been a survey done? I looked at it on Labor Day when Baert was closed. Having replaced a fuel tank in my 209 Escape this past year, I can't believe I am looking, but I am.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Nightfighter: I don't know anything about Celtic Mist, but my 2018 306 is up for sale.

It's listed in the "For Sale" forum here on Great Grady.

Edit (adding link): https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/2018-grady-white-canyon-306.36947/

The boat is in the water until early in the first week of October and can be seen most any time.

Feel free to PM me directly with any questions, if you have any interest.

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I'm definitely a bit of a fair weather fisherman as well as a bit on the frugal side, but my goodness I simply couldn't justify spending over $4k a year just on fuel costs alone for my boat. On top of that you've got other maintenance, insurance, bait/gear, ice, food, drinks and everything else, which is only going to increase the price from there. Fortunately I've got a beach cabin on Whidbey Island, of which I also do in fact have a kayak to where I'll paddle out to my boat on the buoy and then basically start trolling for salmon from there. I'd say maybe 1/4-1/3 of the time I'll motor over to Edmonds or over to Point No Point if the fishing near the cabin is slow, of which both of those areas are less than 10-15 miles each way. But dang, if I lived 50-100+ miles away from the fishing grounds then I'd honestly just tow the boat to where I needed to launch it at, move to a different location where the fishing was considerably closer or I'd probably find a new hobby. While I do love fishing, I also love spending time with family and friends, old cars, sporting events, golfing, hiking, camping and a multitude of other hobbies as well.
Between the boats in question I would choose larger. Have ridden in some snotty seas on a Sailfish with 300’s and it does really well, owner is super happy with boat and power.

I hear you on running costs and am very happy with the miniature Sailfish a/k/a 208 that I bought this year. I fished Barnegat bay, inshore and nearshore to around 15 miles. On less than perfect days I stay in the Bay or close inshore. All that said, the way the water conditions are here in NJ and where the fish are, a much bigger boat is definitely needed to get to certain fishing grounds and the ability to run even inshore with a bigger boat, Gulfstream or bigger, would be nice. You can’t tow yourself closer to the “Canyons” or the “Mud Hole” or any number of hot spots for big pelagic species. So I get the desire/need for a bigger boat but it does take some money and commitment. To each their own. I like having a cabin, could see a Gulfstream or Sailfish or other larger walk-around with twins in my future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Between the boats in question I would choose larger. Have ridden in some snotty seas on a Sailfish with 300’s and it does really well, owner is super happy with boat and power.

I hear you on running costs and am very happy with the miniature Sailfish a/k/a 208 that I bought this year. I fished Barnegat bay, inshore and nearshore to around 15 miles. On less than perfect days I stay in the Bay or close inshore. All that said, the way the water conditions are here in NJ and where the fish are, a much bigger boat is definitely needed to get to certain fishing grounds and the ability to run even inshore with a bigger boat, Gulfstream or bigger, would be nice. You can’t tow yourself closer to the “Canyons” or the “Mud Hole” or any number of hot spots for big pelagic species. So I get the desire/need for a bigger boat but it does take some money and commitment. To each their own. I like having a cabin, could see a Gulfstream or Sailfish or other larger walk-around with twins in my future.
I think just about any boat that's under oh 25' or so is going to be at least "somewhat" dependent on the weather and conditions for the day. Even in the relatively protected waters that I fish here in the Puget Sound, last weekend the winds were at 16-17 knots and it just wasn't worth it for me to go out fishing in them. I've got an entire freezer full of salmon and definitely wasn't hurting for anymore. If I had some family/friends up that really wanted to go out, or if the fishing was on fire and there weren't any fish in the freezer, then it likely would've made for a different story. But even still, when trolling for salmon with downriggers in 16-17 knot winds, it's going to make the fishing more difficult, especially if you're fishing solo. A bigger boat will mitigate that some, but even still you're going to have to pick and choose your days a bit as well, though likely nowhere near to the extent that you would with a 208 Adventure.

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
NJFisherman, did you ever buy either boat?

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Damn… over $4k a year just in fuel expenses? I partially filled up the fuel tank on my boat twice last summer, each time it was around 40-50 gallons for a total of probably 100 gallons or so. Gasoline was right around $5.35 or so all summer for ethanol free, so a total of probably $500 ish.
Really? Do you ever use your boat? I tanked up this week and put over $500 of fuel into it. And that's after a few other tanks this summer, while fall fishing is still in front of us. The annual $4K sounds about right. That's the price of fishing and making trips out in the ocean, which are actually priceless. If you want to save money, go to a fish market and buy your fish.

I also ski and golf. Those trips aren't cheap either. Don't ask me what an in season weekend ski trip with my wife and daughter costs. It could pay your annual fuel costs for years. Point is, if you're in to someting, enjoy it. Just make sure you can pay for it!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Really? Do you ever use your boat? I tanked up this week and put over $500 of fuel into it. And that's after a few other tanks this summer, while fall fishing is still in front of us. The annual $4K sounds about right. That's the price of fishing and making trips out in the ocean, which are actually priceless. If you want to save money, go to a fish market and buy your fish.

I also ski and golf. Those trips aren't cheap either. Don't ask me what an in season weekend ski trip with my wife and daughter costs. It could pay your annual fuel costs for years. Point is, if you're in to someting, enjoy it. Just make sure you can pay for it!
Lol yes I do? I typically go fishing every weekend. I've got my boat on a mooring buoy all throughout the summer in front of my beach cabin, where I row out, unhook the boat from the buoy and start trolling from there. With trolling being about 90% or so of what I do, I don't use up a ton of fuel or anything, which I also mentioned in post #43. Though, I'm guessing you didn't read that...?

Last edited: