290 page now on GW website

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Really nice.
It has the express profile with full walk-around decks. I love it.

Expensive, huh? Please, someone buy one, use it lightly for a couple of years, and then sell it to me, okay? At a big discount? Pretty please???

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
A sharp boat but I still don't see the point. It's 7/8 of a Marlin, if a buyer wants a Marlin they're going to get a Marlin. Now if that model had a deeper V, I'd change my tune because it would appeal to a diferent market.

Stonewall

Reaction score
Grog said:
A sharp boat but I still don't see the point. It's 7/8 of a Marlin, if a buyer wants a Marlin they're going to get a Marlin. Now if that model had a deeper V, I'd change my tune because it would appeal to a diferent market.

Maybe this one is goong to be the walk around and the Marlin may only come in an express

MRT

Reaction score
I noticed it's powered by what appear to be f250s on the GW site. There is one at the local dealer with the f300s. Looking forward to see the performace info.

jaydub

Reaction score
Sure is a beauty. When I took the plant tour they made a comment about the advantage of a 29 over a 30 when it comes to insuring the boat. Anyone know if insurance takes a big jump at 30 feet?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Does not seem that much different than the Sailfish. The overall length is actually less than the Sailfish - no pulpit. The beam is 5 inches wider midship and 4 inches shorter on the transom. the weights are identical. Fuel capcity is less than my 2004 Sailfish. Good looking boat but is it worth the cost of remodeling for such slight changes.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Pros. I like the bigger helm, and the gen set access.

Neutral. The chair looks a tad large and high and not so sure I like the industrial looking plates on the side, the fold up feature is good - especially when turned 90 degrees. Elevated compass and higher panel for yamaha gages. Looks nice but I'd have to see how it feels. This is likely why the helm chair looks so high.

Cons. The fuel capacity did drop from the earlier version from 220g.
I agree with the 7/8 of a Marlin comment. With 306g in the Marlin, you get 50% more range. I don't like the bow roller - this seems to be a trend is it cost driven? I don't like the smaller side windows. Didn't see the battery switches. I assume these are in with the gen set - not as good access.

Don't understand the insurance play. I'd never buy a boat to save here, kinda like buying something for the tax benefit...

Some of the performance measurements have metric equivalents. Maybe they are listening to overseas customers and are tuning a boat for them?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Must be the Sailfish's replacement, otherwise Weller's people made a boo boo, the weight difference is just 1 lb between Sailfish and 290.
Precision engineering, luck, or misprint?

Same draft too. I wonder how the wider beam and narrower transom effects handling(?)

Boat is no where near the 8221 lb Marlin.
Long live the Marlin!

I bet the 290 show price is going to be 10% over Sail + generator $$.

The new helm design is today's standard, no one wants to put screens up in the oversized hardtop box anymore, big box ought to go by the way side - no need for it anymore, cost savings make for the down payment on the generator.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
And the cabin side window on the Sailfish looks more stylish and proportional, can't figure the style on the 290 cabin window - seems like an after thought.

bored1

Reaction score
Anyone notice the 600 HP capacity, however; in the options list there is power steering with T350's? :?

Southern Hunter

Reaction score
Steering

What it measn is that the power steering comes standard with the F350's on all Grady's. However it is an option to get it with other engine setups, I have the power assist steering on my 305 with the F250's.

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Fishtales said:
Cons. The fuel capacity did drop from the earlier version from 220g.
With 306g in the Marlin, you get 50% more range. I don't like the bow roller - this seems to be a trend is it cost driven? I don't like the smaller side windows.

I agree.

Also agree with BobP on this looks like the 282 replacement. Really doesn't make sense adding this to their line without the 282 biting the dust. More range(fuel capacity) would have been great. With the exception of the above listed cons this is a nice looking boat. Lower looking profile than the 282 with a little more more hull. This boat may also attract the 265 and 268/270 crowd even though the 265 guys will miss their old transom. I'd love to see Grady put their fish box(s) in the floor and put 2 or 3 rod holders across the back.

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Anybody notice one of the options for this boat is to be "CE Certified"?? I looked at the 282, 300, 305 and 275 and none of those list CE Certification as an option. This option is apparently required for boat manufacturers shipping boats into the European Union. Why wouldn't the manufacturers "process" for designing, building, testing and delivering boats be "certified" and not an individual model? Most likely down the road all models will have to go this route? I wonder if this is the boat manufacturers version of ISO Certification(or do they need that also?) which is also needed for products being sold in the European Union. Guess whose going to be paying for this?? :evil:

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
HDGWJOE said:
Also agree with BobP on this looks like the 282 replacement. Really doesn't make sense adding this to their line without the 282 biting the dust. More range(fuel capacity) would have been great. With the exception of the above listed cons this is a nice looking boat. Lower looking profile than the 282 with a little more more hull. This boat may also attract the 265 and 268/270 crowd even though the 265 guys will miss their old transom. I'd love to see Grady put their fish box(s) in the floor and put 2 or 3 rod holders across the back.

Cathy and I crawled all over hull #1 (the one in photos) during/after our plant tour on May 22nd. I posted just a little about the 290 after that visit.

The VPs we spoke to made it clear that the 290 was replacing the 282. The 283 would continue to be built.

We have always wanted a 300, and would not consider a 282 due to no generator. The 290 is a good solution IMHO.

Bow pulpits are pretty, but if I had to be anchored in really bad conditions I would prefer not to put that type of loading on the pulpit structure. The 290 looks fine with the custom anchor roller.

I don't think you will ever see GW put fish boxes anywhere that they won't gravity drain. And I have heard to many stories of clogged macerators and in-deck fishboxes that can't be pumped out.

Oh well, we can't afford a 290 any more than we can afford a 300..

Brian

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Noticed the captain's chair is sky high relative to companion seating.
That's some helm they designed - massive. Flight panel like in space shuttle. Topped it with the compass. Windshield height raised accordingly.

The bridge still appears to be a 2 step rise over cockpit, like all Sails since 1990.

Agree with others on pulpit, I do like the way they look including the railing extensions. When the pulpits were later slotted for the anchor to sit below, the look improved more so IMHO.
On the plus side a cost savings, and some marinas include it in dockage fee calculation.

Can't believe this boat weights same as Sailfish.

Must have also added more glass structure to support heavy F300s.

jehines3

Reaction score
Still no full height windshield. Didn't they look at the new Whaler...

What a silly place for the key switches and no window in the aft? Is there really two tables for down below or is the wood a fancy one for photo shoot? They don't even post a pic of the aft. Is it designed for two full sized people now?

Those who can swing a Marlin will pass this one over if compared side by side. I guess with a 290 badge, the 300 is going to get a little bump soon. jh

tiderunner

Reaction score
This is a middle boat . Just doesnt make sense to me . :?