290 page now on GW website

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
So why did they change the name? could have left it as a Sailfish, next reincarnation. Been bigger changes in the past yet kept same Sailfish name. And plenty of hull / superstructure changes

252 272 282, so now 290.

The fatter mid hull and narrower stern must make for something, otherwise why make new costly mold ? Pulpits were always bolt on.

I'll work over the factory guys come New York Boat show this winter, hope Joey is there, he likes showing off new models.
Not likely to get any details from Spellmens at Tobay.

Southern Hunter

Reaction score
Fishboxes

I agree with an earlier post, I would also like to have fishboxes in the floor in order to get more fishbox space. In our 305 we have a 450qt Yeti that we use to put fish in as well as the 290qt built in box in the back of the boat. However, on the other hand I completlely agree with the fact that the boxes all drain overboard, thru-hull's and macerators pumps are a pain in the you know what!!! So for know I guess i'll just stick with my Yeti in the back of the boat.......and be glad for the fact that I don't have to fool with macerator pumps and clogged up drain tracks inside the hull.

moklodge

Reaction score
Thank God they didn't look at the new Whaler. Ugliest thing on the water in years!

Scarlet Knight

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If the 290 will replace the 282 would one expect in the next few years that the resale value of used 282's to depreciate faster given it will be an obsolete model or perhaps just the opposite and get a bit of a boost as a comparable option to a new and higher priced 290? Anyone experienced with value of other GW models that have been discontinued?

Fishtales

Reaction score
What does that bold, black, rounded "CE" signify?
It means the product conforms with all health, safety and environmental protection standards of the 18-nation European Union and is therefore eligible to be sold within those countries. CE is an acronym for Conformité Européene, French for "European Conformity."
Adopted in 1993, the CE labeling program aims to standardize regulations across the continent as part of long-time efforts to create a single European market, facilitate trade and encourage economic development.
The CE mark is required on a wide range of products, from air traffic control equipment and explosives used in road construction to refrigerators, gas water heaters, helmets, toys, heart pacemakers
and now apparently Boats!!!

The specs seem fishy: 5" wider beam midship, but 3.5" narrower in the transom, 6" shorter centerline, 3" less square footage in the cockpit, and the same weight. Looks like they tried to keep the same weight and maybe cost structure as the 282?

Maybe the previous comment for insurance cost is for the EU? Maybe over 30', the cost jumps dramatically. One thing is for sure, this is a restyled 282 for a global market place....

jaydub

Reaction score
Fishtales said:
T One thing is for sure, this is a restyled 282 for a global market place....

Given the value of the dollar versus the Euro, Grady could be VERY cost competitive in Europe. It makes sense for them to go after that market. Europeans are already snapping up real estate at a discount.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The 290 isn't all that much different than the 282, there will be a bump up in new price as well as resale, I would say. What is different is the name.
Today's times don't fare well for bump ups. The Sailfish is the original pocket rocket offshore twin outboard powered fishing boat that so many other brands have imitated even to this day. For offshore tuna and shark fishing up here, will always beat everything esle larger around in economic terms for pleasure craft non-commercial fishing.

The Honda portable generator takes care of overnight power nicely for any Sailfish, don't need a 290 for that reason.

The 265 Express and Islander have been discontinued some time ago, plenty of desire today.
The Islander especially, single engine capable and no restriction trailering is also the biggest cabin boat grady ever offered with one engine.
A very suitable economic product to sell in these times. I call an Islander a narrower Sailfish. Same way I call a Marlin a pumped up Sailfish.

Let's face it, don't know how you see it, the conditions I see in the marinas heading to similar fate to what was occuring back in very early 90's - that long ago, for those of you old enough to be part of it.

It wasn't long ago, when the price of same model new Gradys annually were escalting so much that a Grady a few years old didn't depreciate much to speak of on resale, much like 3 series BMWs, prompted many to trade up every few years with little loss. No more of that market condition to be found.

This isn't gloom and doom, it's fundamentally what matters in the response to the member's question, as I see it.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My thoughts...until I see the model up close.

o GW has made some nice improvements which typically filter to other models after customer feedback (dash redesign, large flushmount area, genset access)

o I was not aware of the CE but I agree it makes good business sense to court the foreign markets. The company where I work derives a significant amount of revenue from outside of the US while taking advantage of surging economies and favorable exchange rates. This can greatly ease the impact of soft US demand.

o The FP genset option hs been very popular and often requested on the 282. Higher windshield and more space between the helm seats are also issues which seem to be part of this 282 replacement.

o I also agree however that it seems close to the 300 although the extra weight and much large cockpit (56 vs 74) are still a big plus for the Marlin.

I haven't spoken to anyone from our dealer or GW but my guess is the long running 252/272/282 hull just could not accomodate the changes so the expense of new hull was deemed necessary.

I am anxious to crawl over one to see the types of things that don't show up in pix and specs. The 330 redesign was very well done IMHO.

bored1

Reaction score
Re: Steering

Southern Hunter said:
What it measn is that the power steering comes standard with the F350's on all Grady's. However it is an option to get it with other engine setups, I have the power assist steering on my 305 with the F250's.

OK. I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ but, if the boat has a capacity of 600 HP and you put twin 350's......that would equal 700 HP. See above. :roll:

Gary M

Reaction score
I'll bet that they are cringing with the release of a new model with gas at $4 a gallon!

I don't see much change between a Marlin and/or a Sailfish......

BUILD a 34 foot version of the Marlin!

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think this boat is a catastrophe!!! It has no benefit over a 282 and is too close in size to a marlin, and could not have come at a worse economic time when boats just are not selling. Grady is already working less hours a week due to less demand, and this boat cost them lots of cash to design and build and I doubt they will see the gains anytime soon if at all with this model. I like the new style closer to an express, but there is a smaller cockpit?? ...what sense does that make, and no additional fuel over a 282, it really should be carrying about 50gal more to compete with the competition and trend among boats its size. Also, there is the 305 Express which is a close model, sounds like too many models in the same size range...sound familiar like around 2004 when there was the 265 express, 268 islander, 272 sailfish, look how that ended, 2 models removed from the lineup and one changed to a bigger boat. I think they should have made this boat better if that was the goal to redesign the sailfish, but rumors had it it was to offer a smaller express model to those who asked for it, well this is not an express. IMHO this is a foolish use of money, they should have designed a new model where customer demand was present or where a model redesign was needed to compete with other brands. Honestly this boat is a disappointment, it does bring new lines and a new look which i like, but the overall end product was not necessary. I agree with many who have asked for a larger walkaround, it would be a hit I think, or a smaller express as an entry level boat similar to the 265 or somewhere along those lines. What about a new center console somewhere in the smaller range, Grady is falling behind there with much of their emphasis on bigger boats lately. As sad as it is to say with the new boats Grady is designing, I'm not sure my next boat will be a Grady, I love them but the newer layouts do not suit a fishermen well especially if you fish offshore like myself, I know not all agree with this but I know many who do and have bought other brands due to this.

Bill_N

Reaction score
I agree with a lot of Tom's comments. Cockpit space and fuel capacity are high on any fishermans list. Not many fisherman will be buying this boat. IMO they would have been better off with a new 28 Express and dropping the 305 from the line-up. There isn't much more room in the cockpit of that boat than my 265.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Boat looks good, but i also think is not fisherman friendly.Lack of fuel capacity is a huge mistake. As far a the "CE", they've been selling Grady in Greece for a few years now and i don't think those models were CE certified.

Kenlahr

Reaction score
My wife and I crawled all over this boat last week. Nice boat to take the family for a day on the water, or overnight in a cove. I don't think you'll see too many of these chasing Tuna in the deep. From a fishing point, I would feel it was a trade down from my 282.

moklodge

Reaction score
I hardly think catastrophe describes this boat correctly. A simple "I don't care for it" would have been fine.

More room between the helm chairs, a 6'9" vee berth, a real aft bunk, a huge aft fishbox, room for twin 12 inch screens, and a boat that fits in a 30 foot and under slip (the Sailfish was too long with the pulpit). Sorry man but the 3 foot smaller cockpit is a cop out. If you need that 3 extra feet, see Jenny Craig.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
moklodge said:
I hardly think catastrophe describes this boat correctly. A simple "I don't care for it" would have been fine.

More room between the helm chairs, a 6'9" vee berth, a real aft bunk, a huge aft fishbox, room for twin 12 inch screens, and a boat that fits in a 30 foot and under slip (the Sailfish was too long with the pulpit). Sorry man but the 3 foot smaller cockpit is a cop out. If you need that 3 extra feet, see Jenny Craig.

Considering they started from scratch with a new hull they dropped the ball, hard. They could have easily made a new liner for the Sailfish hull (express) and gotten the almost same result. The generator is the biggest addition and hearing the headaches some have, the one mounted on the bow may be a better way to go.

moklodge

Reaction score
None of us has really seen the new boat so it's all conjecture but this is a repalcement for the Sailfish, a popular model so of course it will resemble it. After all, it is only 6" longer and 5" wider. It will hopefully offer an improved ride as well as the space improvements. That Sailfish hull has been around for a very long time and could use updating. None of us know better than Grady what the customer input was so we must assume there were more complaints about the "tightness and ride of the Sailfish" versus the fuel capacity and cockpit size.

If they had introduced a new hull and only gave me a larger cockpit and more fuel, then I think the ball would have been dropped, hard.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have an older Sailfish, if Grady were to add a little to the hull for an extra 50 gallons (and keep the aft cabin), have the windshield go to the hard-top, and add a touch more deadrise, I'd be happier than a pig in ____. Area for larger screens is a simple fix, you don't need a whole redesign for that. Until recently there wasn't a need for more room to fit the new large screens.

People complain that the area gets tight under the 33. An express version of the Sailfish would have the same room as the 265 and you don't really hear room complaints about that model, go figure.

The Sailfish and Chesapeke will not be a Marlin, you can't expect that much from a 28'-29' boat with a 9.5' beam. When you try to do too many things you don't do any of them well.

jehines3

Reaction score
Grog said:
The Sailfish and Chesapeke will not be a Marlin, you can't expect that much from a 28'-29' boat with a 9.5' beam. When you try to do too many things you don't do any of them well.

Thats funny. My Marlin is/was GW's 28. Albeit the transom notch is not a real 2' detract for the later 300 model, it was still marketed as a 28 with beam of 10'-7".

And you are right an extra 1' of beam marlin to chesapeake makes all the difference. The Tiara 3100 with 12' beam looks huge next to my 280 (300) marlin. Its not always in the length. This boat being 9'-7" beam makes it non legal towing without permits where I'm at, so either stick to towing limits or go all in... It is a confusing boat against what the competition has come up with. I would hardly call it a catastrophe though, just confusing. I want a full glass enclosure on the next boat. No plastic. It seems all the other offshore guys see that CLEARLY not through fogged up morning dew plastic.??.. jh