300 Marlin - Gen or not to Gen?

Ralph163

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I am looking at some 2005 Marlin 300's. Some with, some without the Fisher Panda Generator.

I primarily want a gen for the handful of times I overnight offshore fish each year. But I am wondering if it would be wiser to simply use a portable Honda for those few times a year, as opposed to the extra weight and maintenance of a gen year round. Offshore, I am primarily interested in being able to run my electronics, lights and maybe the microwave/coffee maker. A/C offshore would not necessarily a must, but would use if I had a gen.

I was also wondering, are you able to run the microwave or coffee machine off the batteries with the engine running if you don't have a gen? Outside of offshore fishing, it would be nice to heat up some lunch and/or coffee when I am inshore fishing as well.

MA208

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Marlin with generator. No microwave or real coffee maker (or stove or AC) without the gen when running. My primary use is AC. Nice to have on hot days. I would say that if it’s only for a handful of times per year you’d be fine without it. But very expensive to add later so all things being equal if you find the right boat I’d choose gen over not.

What‘s the used Marlin market like right now?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have never had an installed generator but can vouch for the Honda. They are quiet, reliable and low maintenance. They provide everything I get on shore power. Hot Water, lights, outlet power, battery charging.

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My Panda is finicky to say the least. Depending on your predicted use portable genny is definitely a good option to consider, although I like my diesel and it’s plumbed and out of the way…

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Agree with MA208:

Personally I love mine, although I don't fish. We stay at marinas and anchor out, and it's great to have all the A?C Items operational wherever you are.

It is recommended that you run a Fischer-Panda diesel frequently, which I do. I get the oil changed every 50-75 hrs or so, and when we were in Florida, I ran fresh water thru the unit after saltwater operation. While the Marlin was on the lift, I would run a freshwater hose to it and flush it for 20 minutes or so.

BirdRock

Reaction score
We are buying a 2009 Marlin that doesn’t have a gen. I’m glad it doesn’t. More room in the bilge without it and no need for a diesel tank on the boat. The Honda portable ones are so good and inexpensive compared to a marine generator.

No need for AC in So Cal which is also a big factor.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I have a 265 express. No generator. A pair of 24DP batteries( can't fit 27s) in parallel for the House 12V. House is isolated from the two starting batteries.
The House charges by the Aux Charging cables whenever any motor is running.
I overnight offshore a few times a season. LED spreaders, LED UW light, Nav lights, vhf, sonar ... on all night.

I removed the Microwave and refridgerator for tackle storage.
No coffee:(. I think if I had an inverter and ran a motor while heating coffee it would work out fine without a generator.
Basically, I have two emergency generators hanging off the transom.

so what I'm saying is ( for your needs) a permanent generator is a big upfront expense and recurring maintenance expense for something you can accomplish with batteries.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Mine came with one new. I've had good luck with it but have changed the starter 2X. Seem to last about 7-8 years. It is winterized and serviced as needed by the dealer. I would pass if buying a boat this size if was ordering. Why - They make a fair amount of noise, the maintenance isn't trivial and access is a bit difficult. As some have stated, I'd use the small honda in a pinch if I needed a generator and didn't have one. I doubt it would be much at all though.

Ralph163

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Ok...sounds nice to have, but I probably won't miss if I dont.

Can I run the microwave or coffeemaker off the batteries with the engine running?

Ralph163

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have a 2005 Marlin with generator. No microwave or real coffee maker (or stove or AC) without the gen when running. My primary use is AC. Nice to have on hot days. I would say that if it’s only for a handful of times per year you’d be fine without it. But very expensive to add later so all things being equal if you find the right boat I’d choose gen over not.

What‘s the used Marlin market like right now?
I have seen plenty for sale in a range of prices. Good ones, priced right seem to sell quick. Lesser ones, overpriced seem to sit. That's always been the case, doesn't seem any different now.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Ok...sounds nice to have, but I probably won't miss if I dont.

Can I run the microwave or coffeemaker off the batteries with the engine running?
No, those are AC powered items. The only things you can run off the batteries would be DC powered items. Read up a little about the types of electricity and it will make more sense. You could, however, use an inverter to run occasional AC items without having to install too big of a battery bank.

I can add more info later, but there are VERY serious risks when using a portable genny on a boat that many are not aware of. I'll post more info later when I'm not on my tiny phone, but there are serious electrical and fuel issues, along with a much, much higher likelihood of CO poisoning due to it being both a portable unit and gasoline powered.

Last edited:

MA208

Reaction score
I have seen plenty for sale in a range of prices. Good ones, priced right seem to sell quick. Lesser ones, overpriced seem to sit. That's always been the case, doesn't seem any different now.
Good to hear for me I guess. When I bought mine I really wanted the generator and bow thruster. Both are expensive aftermarket. Overall really happy. I had the Yamaha exhausts replaced and the transom bang cap done over with glass. Next owner should be happy when it’s time.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Can only run AC when shore power is connected if you don't have one unfortunately.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
No, those are AC powered items. The only things you can run off the batteries would be DC powered items. Read up a little about the types of electricity and it will make more sense. You could, however, use an inverter to run occasional AC items without having to install too big of a battery bank.
A 0.7 cu ft microwave uses 700watts. You should be able to get an inverter that will run that to heat a cup of coffee or maybe run a Keurig.
Thats on my list of lesser important things.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My Fischer panda is 15-years-old. Change the oil every season and make sure to have a hot battery with good connections adjust the valves once or twice and never had an issue. It is great for anchoring out. Down here in Florida we need air conditioning in the summertime to spend the night on the hook. Coffee in the mornings and microwave for heating things is a must have for us.

Ralph163

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
When I am off the shore power I have no need for AC or a fridge. The only thing I would want is to be able to run a Keurig and/or microwave from an inverter from the DC side. It's nice to have a hot cup of coffee or be able to heat up your lunch. I am assuming, even off an inverter I would need to have the engines running to provide the amperage, but wasn't sure if that would be enough.

I am not overly concerned about the CO emissions. The portable genny would be downwind of us, in open air, and we would not be sleeping. It would only be on the rare occasions we overnight offshore. It would feed the shore power. Although electrical dangers would course be a concern. We all know mornings offshore can be VERY damp.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Here is the information I mentioned above. We all are big boys and girls here and can make our own decisions. But please don't make the mistake of dismissing this information. Read it in it's enitrity and then make the decision that you feel is best. The important thing is having ALL the FACTUAL information - not just heresay or not thinking that it won't happen to you. I'm sure those that aren't with us anymore had the same thought. This is isn't to say that using a portable genny WILL cause a problem - not at all - just that there are inherent risks... some of which many may not have thought about.

How many of us have seen pictures of people mounting a portable up on the bow... just a few feet from an open deck hatch? Yes, the Darwin Awards were created for a reason. However, even mounting that genny back at the stern is not always safe. What happens when the breeze goes calm? What about the station wagon effect? Both of those are very real possibilities.

PORTABLE GENERATORS ON BOATS

Carbon Monoxide

Is simple to grasp, breathe it in a confined space and you don’t wake up. Permanently mounted marine generators have their exhausts plumbed to exit at or very near the waterline and away from closed occupied spaces.

Uncontained Fuel System Vents

The fuel systems on Honda and other portable generators are vented to the atmosphere and their carburetors have a bowl drain that releases fuel inside the generator case. That means where you run it, store it or put it under way will have gasoline fumes released in the area and if the bowl drain leaks, you have raw fuel spilled and an explosive liquid in the compartment with the generator.

Lack of ignition protection on electrical devices

The electrical components on portables are not ignition protected like marine generator electrical components are. This means you could easily have an arc or spark anytime contact opens or closes or whenever something is plugged in or disconnected.

Lack of Continuous Grounding

Portable generators pose an additional shock hazard since the portable is not grounded to the boat or to a shore side ground. Likely not a problem with a drill or power tool, but if you connect it to your boat's AC system, you have essentially disconnected the green wire.

The Honda iU series generators are inverters. An inverter drives both line and neutral so it is possible to have voltage between neutral and ground. With ground bonded the the boat's bonding system, which mean to the water, this means a shock hazard may exist that normally would not. Anyone who ignores all the above risks and insists on using a portable generator should use a very good, sensitive multi-meter to throughly prove out the electrical system. That the reverse polarity light is lit is clear indication of a potential problem.

The USCG governs only boat manufacturers and the manufacturers voluntarily subscribe to ABYC guidelines, so there is no "law" against using portable generators on boats. However, both the USCG and ABYC say using portable generators on boat is a bad idea and regularly caution boaters against it.

In spite of the fact that Honda’s advertising says that boating is a popular use of their generators, They have not addressed the grounding, gas fume and ignition protection issues and those risks do indeed exist.

If you are one of those who jumped on the CO train and the relatively few deaths attributed to CO, you are not fully considering all the risks of using portable generators on a boat. While accidents may be rare, you do substantially increase your risk of becoming a "statistic" when using a portable generator on a boat.......you put your family unnecessarily at risk when you do.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Making coffee with a French press is awful nice. Boil the water, topsides, on something like a Magma grill. My last boat was a full cruiser style - I still preferred to cook topsides - it's just a whole bunch nicer up there!

ttles714

Reaction score
So my "07 Marlin has a Fisher Panda .... I don't use it much , but every now and then I start it up and put a load on it ... if I am out and want a cup of coffee there isn't and alternative, because Grady installed an electric stove top .. .... It comes in handy during stripper season for running the heat .... BUT ... it is an expensive option and an expensive repair .... The parts , I believe are all made from precious metals. !!!!!!!! I sometimes wonder if anyone has found a way to actually make a permanent installation out of a Honda or similar type generator ... ANYONE ???????