33 express generator

wcollins

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
For what it's worth, I forgot to close the seacock several times on my 330 with a factory plumbed FP without any problems. But it died of other natural causes after 20 years and I replaced it with an inverter system. LOVE the inverter -- best upgrade I've done.
Question? I own a 2008 336 , will an inverter run the cockpit freezer box for 5 hours without depleting the 4 batteries or would I need to install separate batteries? What size inverter? I read that the cockpit freezer box needs 8.1 amps of AC power? Any help would be greatly appreciated

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Question? I own a 2008 336 , will an inverter run the cockpit freezer box for 5 hours without depleting the 4 batteries or would I need to install separate batteries? What size inverter? I read that the cockpit freezer box needs 8.1 amps of AC power? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Here's the rough math: 8.1 amps of 110 Volts AC is about 900 Watts. So you'll need a minimum 1,000 Watt inverter. If your inverter were 100% efficient you would need 75 amps of 12 Volts DC to power a 900 Watt device. (900 divided by 12), but inverters are only about 90% efficient so you'll need an extra 10% so about 83 amps. To power for 5 hours you'd need about 400 amp hours, which is a fairly big battery bank. But, if you wire your system to supply some of those amps from your running motors, you can reduce the size accordingly (for example, if your motors can supply 30 amps, then you only need about 250 amp hours of battery capacity). Note that lithium batteries can be fully depleted, but Lead Acid / AGM batteries should only be run down to 20%-50%, so those battery banks have to be even bigger.

wcollins

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
Here's the rough math: 8.1 amps of 110 Volts AC is about 900 Watts. So you'll need a minimum 1,000 Watt inverter. If your inverter were 100% efficient you would need 75 amps of 12 Volts DC to power a 900 Watt device. (900 divided by 12), but inverters are only about 90% efficient so you'll need an extra 10% so about 83 amps. To power for 5 hours you'd need about 400 amp hours, which is a fairly big battery bank. But, if you wire your system to supply some of those amps from your running motors, you can reduce the size accordingly (for example, if your motors can supply 30 amps, then you only need about 250 amp hours of battery capacity). Note that lithium batteries can be fully depleted, but Lead Acid / AGM batteries should only be run down to 20%-50%, so those battery banks have to be even bigger.
Thank you, freezer draw is too much to make the inverter worthwhile

Gulffisher

Reaction score
Can you check amperage before you give up? Is 8 amps the max or constant? But regardless, if you are using starting batteries, you may still want to change over to deep cycle/starting batteries.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Can you check amperage before you give up? Is 8 amps the max or constant? But regardless, if you are using starting batteries, you may still want to change over to deep cycle/starting batteries.
Good point - it probably cycles on and off, so average consumption may be a lot less. But regardless, every inverter setup I've seen uses a separate battery bank...

Gulffisher

Reaction score
Thank you, freezer draw is too much to make the inverter worthwhile
Does your generator run ok or is it dead? If it needs to be replaced, the single-cylinder Nexgen with enclosure will fit with some minor relocation work inside the bilge and should set you back similar $ to a high-end inverter and Li battery bank. This generator is a bit louder, but not much, than the old single cylinder FP genset.

wcollins

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
I checked the owners manual, the running amps for cockpit freezer is 8.7 amps. So the 4 agm batteries would fall short. The alternative setup would be to install 4 lithium batteries with the inverter. The boat is on lake Lanier ga, and this cost would be too much. I’m going to look into a portable 12 volt freezer or just ice down a baitwell.

Gulffisher

Reaction score
I thought you wanted to chill-kill big ole yellowfins, but sounds like you just want a beer cooler! I don't have chiller plates on my older 330 Express. So when fishing for more than one over nighter, I will typically bring along the Yeti 250 full of ice for topping off the stern fish locker as I fill it with my catch.