33 express

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
copied from another forum:

i've been doing a lot of research and comparisons. the only two things i don't like is the low bow rail (grady says they don't have to meet the abyc standard since it's not really a "deck rail" - bs, they should, others do!) and the interior helm access (pursuit really has it nailed here with the fold down helm). not deal killers.

i can't pull the trigger for a few weeks, but here's the question: how dumb would it be to drop this kind of change without a sea trial? we're moving up from an '02 gulfstream (purchased new) and it is by far the best boat i have ever been in for the class. i was trying to get out on one of the guy's at my marina ealier model year 33 this past season, but schedules did not sync up. i know he loves the boat, but not the hpdi's. a sea trial wouldn't happen until the end of april so that would push delivery out further (again, not a deal killer).

i know i would have to get used to a boat this large, but that's a fact of life if we want to move up. also, we didn't live in our house before we bought that, right?? and i kinda see this as a vacation home.

so, observations??

thx, ron

Stonewall

Reaction score
Ron,

I really don't see the sea trail as a big deal. We bought our 33 w/o a sea trial. (however we had a 30 marlin) Go for it.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I personally would not buy a boat without a sea trial, although going from a 23 gulfstream to a 33express will have a noticable difference in ride. The ride will be much better so there is really no comparison there. It really depends on what you feel you can handle operating the boat, it will manuveur and handle differntly, but then again any new boat takes some getting used to. If you have been on the boat before and love the layout, there is a little less reason to sea trial it. Only reason I see for a sea trial is for you to feel how she rides at speed. I doubt you would see anything bad with the ride but I have always done sea trials in the past just to be sure.

I see you are out of the Highlands, I'm out of Pt. Monmouth, so we fsh the same waters. Are you going to do any canyon fishing with the new rig? I will be running just about ever chance the weather allows me to get to the ledge so if you ever need a buddy boat or someone to network with let me know.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I bought my Marlin without a sea trial after owning an 88 sailfish...I say go for it.

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
thx guys (and still looking for more input).

my greatest fear is not liking the ride. the gulfstream handles fantastically and is a dry boat (save for sea conditions that any boat would be wet in). it has everything we want for fishing and watersports (the wide beam provides a spacious cockpit), but it doesn't give us comfortable overnight accomodations.

i have been over just about every inch of the 33 either physically or via emails with customer service. i spent enough time standing at the helm at boat shows to feel comfortable with visibility and the "feel" of the larger boat. as far as getting used to operating a larger boat, i plan on enlisting a captain to work with me until i'm there. when we bought the gulfstream i had been off the water for 15 years. i lined up two captains (one of which was a "real" (that's how he earns a living) and very experienced ny waterway captain) to help me get back in the groove and learn solid twin engine boat handling. i'm still learning to handle the tricky situations, but that's because i don't get out as much as i should.

gradyfish, i freely admit that the cogliones start to shrink at about 25 miles. but i will look for you during the striper run.

thx, ron

tuxedospike

Reaction score
Sea Trial a 33?

What's the big deal about to sea trial or not....it's just like getting married to a person you've never met! I'd sea trial a boat even if I was just moving up a few years on the same make and model. Those few hours spent may include a suprise that includes a lot of remorse. The 33 is a fine boat but is it for you?...Sea trial it in the worst weather you can manage ( that the dealer will accomodate ) then make your decision. (note: if you just won the lottery them disregard this advise). I'll bet that you find that the boat is a lot more willing to take on bad seas than you are (that's what I found out...Ponce Inlet with eight footers). Even if you have good weather and calm seas you can always find some nasty wakes to take badly...find out how long it takes to put up the enclosure away from the dock...also find out how that enclosure affects docking (the sail effect) etc. etc.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would go out for a sea trial and see if it's what you want. I can't recall anyone complaining of the way the 33 handles but are you sure it's what YOU want?

melkat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I bought my 33 Express with no seatrial also moving up from a 30 marlin. Totally pleased with the ride and performance-definitely a bigger feel incremently better ride than the Marlin which was great. Biggest mistake I made though was --I too was all over every 33 I could get on at both my dealers and at shows- but I ordered the super delux platinum helm chair site unseen. It actually is a lot wider and thus makes passageway forward too tight . Lots of comments on THT . I actually think the 33 should have helm station forward right and not the center.

Charles Simmons

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Melkat,

I have the standard helm on my 33, and still do not have enough room. I agree that the helm station should be forward right. :?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It is funny, I never complain about room on my 265 Express with the center helm, yet I've been on the 33 Express and it seems tighter to me as well. Not sure why Grady did this. After having a center helm, it would be hard to go back to a stbd side helm again. Express boats are the way to go, if designed and spaced correctly. I do some trolling offshore when the conditions permit, and the center helm gives me space to move around and a great line of sight of the cockpit, as well as site when maneuvering in tight quarters. It is also nice to have enough room for the whole crew to get out of the elements. I do agree though, Grady could have did a better job of spacing things on that boat.

redrover

Reaction score
Tuxedo, Ponce Inlet, 8 footers, I think I'm starting to druel!!!!

The 33 is a great ride but it wouldn't hurt to trial it once. No disrespect, but a big difference between standing at the helm at a boat show and out on the white water. Either way good luck, not a bad choice to have to make.

gw204

Reaction score
ElyseM said:

how dumb would it be to drop this kind of change without a sea trial?

VERY dumb.

Would you buy a car without test driving it first?
Would you marry someone without dating them first?

Stonewall

Reaction score
gw204 said:
ElyseM said:

VERY dumb.

Guess I'm pretty dumb - but happy..... :D

gulfcart

Reaction score
Charles Simmons said:
Melkat,

I have the standard helm on my 33, and still do not have enough room. I agree that the helm station should be forward right. :?

Agreed..I swear at it everytime I'm in it...they say they made it roomoer in '08.. If they did I never would know it. Go to photo post look at 350 express.. Bunch of posts about this..Some even took all the seats and arm rests out to give them more room. It's the only real bitch I have.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Stonewall said:
gw204 said:
ElyseM said:

VERY dumb.

Guess I'm pretty dumb - but happy..... :D

Guess I am Too.....

tuxedospike

Reaction score
Ponce Inlet 8 footers

Honestly...there were eight foot swells blowing froth and a USCG 47 footer posted at the mouth of the Inlet the day Eric Kelly of PlayTwo Marine took us for the SeaTrial. The USCG boat turned around several smaller craft but just waved the G/W on. Great endorsement if you ask me. With Eric doing the piloting we never took water over the bow...wish I could say that! This was in Mid-March of 2007. And yes...it took several days to get the grin off my face.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
thx to all for the feedback and i look forward to anymore that will come.

just to let you know where i'm coming from, i'm not trying to see how much the boat can take. with 8 footers, i'll be on the beach watching the surfers. i really wanted to know if anyone did make this type of a big purchase without a sea trial and considered it the worst decision of their lives (save for the guys on wife number 2).

again, these are all great comments. thx, ron