330 - Refinish cabin floor?

Bayhouse

Reaction score
My teak and holly floor is pretty beat up and I wonder if anyone has refinished theirs and have some tips/tricks for the job? I've searched and only found reference that the T&H may only be a veneer which means sanding/refinishing may be out of the question. If there is no option, i may just order Sea Deck to go over the top.

Reactions: Angler Management

Fishtales

Reaction score
It is a veneer with a plywood base. You can try to lightly sand and refinish (not sure why you wouldn't as you can always pull up). I believe it is bonded to the fiberglass floor and you can get it out if needed.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That would be a shame to cover that beautiful wood. Usually that enhanced veneer is thick enough for at least a couple of judicious sandings.

Motivator

Reaction score
Due to delamination, I had to remove mine. Was a labor intensive job. Replaced with a more substantial piece that we epoxied on the sides and bottom to hopefully prevent another episode of delamination. Boat is a Sailfish 282.

Bayhouse

Reaction score
Thanks all, I'm going to try to give it a good sanding and if that doesn't work, move on to plan B

Aquanut2

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
@Bayhouse how did you make out refinishing your floor? Restoring an 04 Marlin and looking for steps and materials to use to get this back in shape.
Thanks
Mike
TeakHollyFloor.jpg

Aquanut2

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I'm interested in what everyone recommends using, your advise and the steps / material I should use to refinish my floor? Is Epiphanes clear varnish the best product? How many coats? after sanding is there anying I could put down first to restore the wood and color?
Thanks
Mike

Fishtales

Reaction score
If I did it, I would lightly sand and use a good spar varnish.

Aquanut2

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks I am going to sand the whole thing and put 5 plus coats of Epifanes Clear Varnish down. Found a lot of info on how to do it by cutting it 50 - 50 with mineral spirits. Will post the results back here for other's benefits.

O

oliver305

You should lightly sand and use TotalBoat varnish, I have been looking for the varnish that has a perfect balance between tint and gloss, and I finally found it in this product.

Bayhouse

Reaction score
I never got around to that project and have now sold that boat. Good luck, mine looked like yours.