'76 Formula 233 project: De-powered

gw204

Reaction score
Decided to start a new thread to document my Formula project. Here's how it all began: viewtopic.php?t=14217

Now for the good stuff... :lol:

Before I could really do much with the gas tank hatch or fuel lines, I decided I had better tarp the darn thing to keep it from getting any more wet than it already is. So, I put up a crude frame using some 2x4s left over from my Sailfish frame and got it covered up.

IMG_8404.jpg

Then I got sidetracked and ended up pulling out the pottie. It may get reused in the future, but for now I'm going to put some new bronze thru hulls in the intake/discharge holes and cap them w/ bronze seacocks.

IMG_8407.jpg

Then I proceeded to pull up the gas tank hatch. I already knew the core of it was rotten and the tank was covered with so much foam that the hatch wasn't flexing because the foam was supporting it. No glass over the 1/2" core of the hatch. It was doomed righ from the start.

IMG_8411.jpg

IMG_8405.jpg

IMG_8408.jpg

Yuck... :cry:

IMG_8406.jpg

The new hatch core will be at least 1/2" ply with two layers of 1708 or 1808 over it. So, I need some clearance for the extra thickness. A shovel made pretty quick work of the top inch or 2" of foam. Some dry, some not so dry. I filled an entire garbage can. I thought about pulling it all out and exposing the top of the tank, but I'm kind of afraid of what I might find... I will not be replacing the tank yet. That will come with the repower in a year or two...if it holds out that long. What do you guys think? Leave the foam on top of the tank, or dig it out?

IMG_8409.jpg

Anyway, next on the agenda was fuel lines. I pulled all but the main fill line out. It makes a hard bend as it enters the tank compartment from the engine compartment and I was afraid if I pulled it all the way out w/out having the new hose attached, I would have a super difficult time of getting the new one in. So, it stayed for now. The rest of the vent and supply lines came out though. I also took off the shutoff valves and gas fill port. The handles have rusted off the vales so they are worthless and need to be replaced. No sealant under the cas fill port. All of the fittings on the tank came off very easily.

IMG_8410.jpg

I got the flame arrestors on the engines cleaned up real good and sent my wife out for some fresh gas. I blew out the fuel pumps and lines on the motors and reconnected the batteries. I had also attempted to put the NPT drain plugs back in the exhaust manifolds, but no dice. The threads were pretty rusted up so I need to clean them out. Hopefully I can find a NPT thread chaser somewhere. Decided to try and start 'em up anyway. The port was very tempermental, and although it would start, it wouldn't stay running. Looks like carb rebuild is in order there. Same thing on the stbd. :cry: I fired them up again yesterday AM, and this time the stbd. stayed running, but not the port. Oil pressure seemed OK on both, but hard to tell when you have to work the throttle all the time to keep it breathing... Now that I know they'll run, I guess I can throw some $$$ at them.

Plugs appear to be pretty new, so I'm going to clean and reuse them. But, I'll probably go ahead and do caps, rotors, wires, t-states, belts, hoses, etc. and see how she reacts to that stuff. Carbs should be pretty easy to do, but the Seloc manual that came with the boat is crap.

Parts order went it to Boatfix a few days ago. It contained the bronze thru-hulls and seacocks, new anti-siphon and shutoff valves and some other misc. stuff. Hopefully it all comes in today.

I have also since discovered that my trailer is way undersized. 5600 lbs. GVWR, 4100 lbs. capacity. Formula lists the dry weight of the boat at 5900 lb.s :cry: So, a different trailer is eventually in order. But due to budget constraints, this one will have to work for now. I was going to put new ST215/75R14 tires on it (the ones on there now are the original 195/75B14s...and very dry rotted), but if I'm going to sell it in a year or so, why bother? So, I'm looking around for some large used 14" tires, or 15" rims and tires to make due with for now. I'm only going to be doing short hauls anyway and this one has lasted 34 years...

richie rich

Reaction score
GW..looks like a nice project...

If you're not pulling the tank, I'd leave the foam....once you pull up that foam and see what's in there, you're gonna want to pull the tank....and hopefully, that's all......

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Brian, i hate to tell you this, but when i desided to change my tank just because it is old, i did not smell ANY gas at all and the tank had at least 80 gallons in it, so when i start removing the foam(i had empty and dried the tank a month before) when i got to the starboard side half way down to the foam i smell gas(tank was empty), after digging and digging i realized that the foam was soaked with GAS. As you know, i have not remove my tank yet but i know has a hole somewhere. Do your self a favor and before do anything empty the tank and remove it for inspection or better yet install a new one. You might have a bomb under your feet. PLEASE, remove it, or do a pressure test(i don't know how true that test would be though, because the tank is enclosed with foam on all sides and the tank was coated with resin at the factory and makes a very good seal with the foam).
Also, how thick was the bottom where the head seacocks were?

gw204

Reaction score
Re: '76 Formula 233 project: Getting started...

Not much has happened lately. I did manange to pick up some "new" rims/tires and a 55 gallon drum to put the old fuel in though.

The rims are stock 15" 5-spoke aluminum from a Jeep Cherokee/Wrangler. Tires are Goodyear Wrangler RT/S, size 215/75R15 and have a max capacity of like 1742 lbs. at 44 psi...a huge improvement over the 1400 lbs. max of the 195/75B14s that were on there before. The rims are just in fair shape, but the tires have lots of life left. Got them for $125.

IMG_8412.jpg

Cleaned them up, put them on the trailer last night and discovered (which I kind of expected) that I have some bearing work to do. 2 of the 4 seemed OK, 1 was really tight and the last sounded like there wasn't any grease in the hub.

Gotta do something about those fenders too...

IMG_8417.jpg

The drum I picked up for $20. Yes, there are free ones around, but this one is clean. Going to start transferring the old fuel to it this weekend.

IMG_8413.jpg

gw204

Reaction score

Anybody want to buy some nasty wet foam or rotten wood???

IMG_8419.jpg

IMG_8421.jpg

The wood came from just underneath the lip that supports the tank hatch. I think it's some type of treated 2x2 because it wasn't the consistency of "normal" rotten wood. These strips were just nailed to the stringers. Yes, nailed. :roll: Looks like they were put there to give some additional structure for the tank hatch screws to bite in to.

I haven't looked super closely at the top of the tank yet, but it appears to have some pretty severe pitting in places. Guess it's time to take some measurements and get some quotes... Dang. :cry:

IMG_8420.jpg

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

I had filled 16 black garbage bags with that nasty foam.
You are lucky your wood was nailed, mine was ...................... STAPLED with wide crown (1") staples.
5/8" ? That is great, at least i know she is very strong by the keel.

gw204

Reaction score

Got all the old fuel out over the weekend. Turned out to be about 45 gallons, which was 10 to 15 less than I had expected.

Then I got sidetracked again with removing the boot stripe. Much to my surprise, it peeled off very easily. Each side came off in one consistent strip.

IMG_8422.jpg

Today I started digging foam in prepartion for pulling the tank. Got about 2-1/2 hours in before I gave up. What a f*cking nightmare that was!! :x There is roughly 2 to 3 inches of space between the tank and stringers/bulkheads so not a whole lot of space to work. What I did was cut several lines in the foam with a regular hand saw and then jam my "special tool" into it, pry against a 2x6 laying on top of the tank and break pieces off. This special tool is nothing more than a mattress support bracket from an old crib that I cut the end off of. Basically what I ended up with was a piece of steel angle iron about 1" wide on each side and about 4' long. Not ideal, but it works. I was able to dig down to the hull bottom on the port side and in front of the tank. On the stbd side, I got down about 1/3 of the way before running out of room. So, I'll have to come up w/ something else to get down the rest of the way.

IMG_8423.jpg

IMG_8425.jpg

IMG_8424.jpg

The foam toward the front of the tank isn't too wet. But the stuff at the back is soaked. To be continued tomorrow...

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: '76 Formula 233 project: Digging foam...

Nasty foam huh, isn't? I did the whole boat. Let me tell you, you move fast, as oppose to me, my belly is in the way :lol: :lol: :lol:

gw204

Reaction score

I've only been able to work on it this much recently because I take my 2-1/2 year old son out with me (he plays at the helm). If I didn't do that, my wife wouldn't approve of me spending this much time on it.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

You are lucky. Both of my sons are very very allergic to fiberglass dust, so no help there, my daughter is my princess, my wife steps in the boat only for fishing or ride, so i work alone. :bang :bang :bang :bang

gw204

Reaction score

Went at the stupid foam for about another hour tonight. Got down to the hull bottom on the stbd side and about 3" down one side behind the tank. Two piece of PVC are preventing me from digging on the other side. That shouldn't make or break the tank removal though. I then stuck a 2x6 down between the tank and the port stringer and pried a little. I didn't expect it to break free...and it didn't.

IMG_8427.jpg

I also stuck the lens of the camera in the sending unit hole in the tank and snapped a pic. Aside from the pieces of foam that have fallen in there, it looks really clean.

IMG_8432.jpg

Lastly, I pulled out the fill hose. Since I'm going to run the new hose via a different path, no need to leave this one in. That opened up the hole through the starboard stringer enough for me to grab a pic and poke the core a little. It doesn't look good...

IMG_8433.jpg

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: '76 Formula 233 project: Digging foam...again

Hate to tell you this Brian, but you better start ripping the floor, stringers are shot. What i found out is that formula did a great job on the transom, mine is solid, except the bottom inch or so where the tabs were screwed. Who ever did it had no of what 5200 means, or even silicone, not a drop in there.

gw204

Reaction score

My hopes for a "quick fix" are pretty much gone at this point. So, what's probably going to happen is progress will slow tremendously once the tank is out and I'll shift my efforts back to the lil' Mako...and completing the basement remodel that I've been working on here and there for the past two years. :oops:

Guess I need to update the Mako thread now...

gw204

Reaction score

It is what it is... No :bang .

I still like it. :wink:

gw204

Reaction score

I either like the bracket to have no platform at all or the platform has to be full width. I realize that poses some issues with Formula because the transom flat doesn't extend all the way to the sides, but there are ways around that.

When the time comes, the Formula will probably get a Gil bracket. I really liked the one on my old 252. The Mako will most likely get a home made fiberglass bracket in order to maximize flotation.

gw204

Reaction score

NEM is gonna hate me for this...

My tank came out with zero fight. I laid a 6' 4x4 across the tank compartment, put my floor jack on top of it and ran a piece of chain around the fill port on the tank and the arm of the jack. Gave it a couple of pumps, heard the tell tale popping of the foam breaking free and it came right up. Took all of about 3 minutes from start to finish. Then another 5 to 10 to wrestle the tank out the compartment and over the side. I couldn't believe how easy it was. :praise

IMG_8468.jpg

As you can see, the foam didn't get completely under the tank when poured and I'm sure that attributed to my unusual good fortune.

IMG_8469.jpg

I haven't found any obvious holes in the tank yet, but I'm sure they are there. The dark area right at the bottom of the belly of the tank coincides with the area of no foam. The aluminum there is near PERFECT.

IMG_8473.jpg

IMG_8474.jpg

Guess what happenened next? Side track number 3. The captain's chairs...

The back rest brackets and slider bases looked to be in pretty good shape. So I salvaged them and am planning to use them to build new seats. I'm not yet sure if I'll use Starboard, Ipe, Mahogany, etc. but I figured this will be a cheaper alternative to buying new seats. The actual seats are going out with the trash.

IMG_8478.jpg

IMG_8472.jpg

To be continued...