'76 Formula 233 project: De-powered

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hang in there Brian, don't put too much pressure on yourself. It takes all the fun out of the project and that's what it's supposed to be "FUN".

gw204

Reaction score
Didn't have much "fun" yesterday, but I made some progress. Spent 12-1/2 hours in the car and solved my bracket (or lack thereof) problem... :goodjob

IMG_8553.jpg

Was originally looking for a non-platform bracket, but since the wife and kids expressed their desire for a platform for swimming purposes, I figured that keeping them happy will make my life easier in the long run...

gw204

Reaction score
I think the only "deal" I've gotten so far is the new 80 gallon tank (complete w/ WEMA sender) for $100... I doubt I'll ever be able to top that. :)

Found it on THT/ClassicSeacraft. It was on a 23' Seacraft and the owner was switching to a Hermco in order to prepare for a future 4-stroke. I met him at the McKee Craft plant in Bolivia, NC where he was picking up a new leaning post/livewell.

gw204

Reaction score
I spent a little time over the weekend working on the bracket. I wanted to get the existing caulking off of the mounting surface so I could see how much corrosion I need to address and then make a template for checking fit against the transom.

The good news is the caulking came off w/out too much trouble. The bad news is it revealed a bit more corrosion that I wanted to see. Most of it is around the bottom four mounting holes of the tub. I'm not real worried about it though as I should easily be able to patch up the areas with some gray Marine Tex, or just have a welding shop fill them in.

Anyway, I also got the template made up using some thin scrap wood and a hot glue gun. My main motivation behind doing this was to be able to mark and drill all the bracket mounting holes BEFORE I install the new transom. That way I can use those holes for thru-bolts when I bed the core and not have to randomly drill more holes that I really need.

I tried to get the template positioned on the transom, but it was proving to be too much of a pain in the neck with the ends of the tarp hanging down. I only had a short window in which to work, so I didn't bother to tie them back. I got the template lined up with the centerline mark I had previously made on the transom, but I got a little thrown off when I discovered that the transom doesn't seem to be symmetrical (there's more distance from the hull bottom to the rubrail on the stbd side than on the port). So, I gave up until I have more time to get the cover out of the way and take accurate measurements.

I was going to snap a few pics, but the batteries in my camera were dead and my supply of spare AA's was all used up...

georgemjr

Reaction score
I tried to have some aluminum work done to the original bracket on my 88 24' offshore. The welder was unable get anything to adhere to the bracket. He thought it was due to long term salt intrusion. I used a product like marine tex for aluminum. Worked great for 10 years and still looked great when I sold the boat...

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Brian, i am glad you decide to keep the 233 and continue work on it, as you know, i cut up mine into a center console and i really, really, really thinking about an outboard instead of the I/O. The bad news is i bought the motor :bang :bang
Do you know anybody who wants a 383 MPI factory rebuilt in 2007 with 150 hours? Comes with a Bravo III and everything in between.

gw204

Reaction score
Stick that engine/drive up on THT. Someone will snatch it up. Or maybe you could use it in a Jackshaft configuration?

Since you have to rebuild the gunwales, have you thought about doing a broken sheer line? I love that look, but somehow ended up with two boats w/out it...

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Broker shear sounds good but i don't know hoe the Formula would look with it, not really meant for that boat.
Got any pics of jackshaft boats(i know Albemarle 24 has it, but actual picture of the inside?)