A couple questions about a 228 Seafarer...

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I did stop in at Jacobsen's in Edmonds oh probably a month ago or so but they didn't have any 228 Seafarer's for sale at the time. g

I can't be the only owner willing to take you out. I bet if you got the dealer to hook you up with the owners club, one of them will have a 228,
they are pretty popular. Call them and ask about that club, you might make some Grady friends.

Jacktrop99

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think the context matters. I've got the v2 hull and a 2020 Yamaha 250 and it struggles in lumpy conditions that we have here on the Pacific (Santa Cruz, CA). 114 gallons of gas, 10 gallons of fresh water, gear and two adults on board. I'd hate a 200, I don't think it would be safe on snotty day, and around here, it's snotty most of the time.

Someone else said "go run it on your waters" and I 100% agree with that.
We run are boat in the Atlantic and have up to 8ft waves In are inlet on a normal day and it takes it fine with no problems

GEII

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
I owned a 2008 seafarer with a 250 four stroke. I felt it was more than enough power for the choppy New England waters...

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I owned a 2008 seafarer with a 250 four stroke. I felt it was more than enough power for the choppy New England waters...

Yeah, the 250 is enough. If I were to do it all over again, I'd go 300 for a better hole shot when I'm in lumpy seas, but the 250 works. Add a little trim tab and you pop up.

OP was considering 200 and unless s/he's on a lake or fairly flat water, that's maybe "ok" but not "fun". And I can easily imagine conditions here in northern california that it could get pretty sketchy with a 200. The 228 is a big small boat (or a small big boat), pushing 5000ish pounds onto plane wants some grunt.