A drunk driver destroyed my Grady

burrjh

Reaction score
Well, what we had been planning for months to be a great week of fishing in Charleston has turned into a nightmare.

How quickly things change. We were driving in from Greer this AM when a drunk driver hit us from behind. I don't know how you miss a 22 ft Grady but this thug did. We were running 60 so he must have been doing well over 80. It was 6:20 AM in Orangburg and no other cars on the road.

The impact sent the trailer tongue into the truck bed and knocked the boat off the trailer. The boat slide about 50 - 75 yards down 26 before coming to a stop in the ditch.

As I walked back to check on the guy in the car I caught him walking "stashing his goods" in the woods. He took off when I approached him. I walked back to my truck and noticed another car pull up, pick him up, and take off.

This idoit took off leaving my boat and half his car siting in the ditch.

Luckly somehow I kept the truck from flipping and neither me or my first mate were hurt. I can only hope this thug has air bag rash from Hell.

The highway patrol assured me they would find this guy. I'll post some pictures of the accident and the thugs car. I sure would like to have a word with this idiot.

burrjh

Reaction score
d67f939a.jpg

a15b28f5.jpg

The thugs car
179149d0.jpg

a0cf17ba.jpg

4ce4092d.jpg

d375a15b.jpg

c0fdc7d4.jpg

ec902ba0.jpg

Fishtales

Reaction score
Wow. You have my condolances. At least you and your mate were not injured. Hopefully they catch the guy and you are made whole.

Pez Vela

Reaction score
"Looks like pre-accident damage to me," said his claims adjuster. "A rear ender couldn't do that."

Very smart to get the PICS! Glad the entire crew is O.K. Keep us posted on developments. Sorry it happened.

jaydub

Reaction score
Wow, that really sucks. Is that a 222;looks familiar to me. I REALLY hope they find the guy. Do you know if the damage is repairable? Sorry for the damage.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Crash

The hulls are extremely durable. If you didn't bust up a stringer or punch thru it can be repaired. It could have been worse (rollover). Find a good glass/gelcote shop. Call the factory for recommendations.

I prematurely launched a 16' glass bass boat 30 feet short of the water on a steep ramp. We push the boat in the water (ouch!), put it back on the trailer, inspected it, re-launched and went fishing. Not the same as dropping it at 60 mph but it sounded AWFUL when it happened.

Good luck!

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
That stinks big time . Glad you and the 1st mate are ok. I would definatley include the grady factory in the loop on this if insurance wants to fix it. The part that would worry me the most is the Keel and the thickness of whats left of the glass. Forget the gel coat it's just to make it pretty. What matters is how thick the keel is now. Also the transom and how much strain and pressure was leveraged against it in the "unloading" and subsequent reloading on that damn rollback and tied down with that chain and dog.
Good luck with this and I hope it all works out to your satisfaction.

burrjh

Reaction score
jaydub said:
Wow, that really sucks. Is that a 222;looks familiar to me. I REALLY hope they find the guy. Do you know if the damage is repairable? Sorry for the damage.

I'd make you a heck of a deal on a trade :)

burrjh

Reaction score
Do the folks at Grady do repairs themselves? Honestly, without knowing more about the repairs, they are the only people I feel comfortable with.

Unfortunately I did not get a look at the guys face. When I approached him he took off in the woods. All I can say for certain was that he was a pretty good sized black male.

I was about 200 yards ahead of his car and it was still dark when the other car arrived. At the time I thought it was him trying to drive his car. I later realized what had happened. There's a few things I would have done differently if I had been thinking a little straighter.

Does anyone have any recomendations on a lawyer that would handle this type of thing. I don't feel like I should come out on the losing end of the deal.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Call the factory. They may not take this type of work on because of insurance. If not they should be able to tell you who they send the hull warranty work to.

panhdjoe

Reaction score
Please tell us who your insurance company is so we can avoid them "pre accident damage" I might have lost it and then they would be taking me to jail. Joe

Bama96

Reaction score
Man I can not imagine what I would have done to that guy after he hit my baby. Ambulance would have been needed. My opinion would be have them total the boat and pay you the retail value. Then buy it back as salvage and repair it. Good luck.

denmarksc

Reaction score
Wow! Thank God you weren't hurt. I'm from this area of SC. Sorry I don't associate with thugs. If I recognized the car, we'd both go woop his backside!

Good luck on the repair / claim.

burrjh

Reaction score
The car was registered to a lady in Manning SC. I'm assuming by the look of the car she might not be the upmost respectable business type. Still waiting to hear from the Trooper and to find out what insurance company she has.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Wow -
The boat looks pretty good considering what it went through - I thought it would be broken into bits after that crash.

pretty expensive car to ditch and run - Bet they called it in as stolen

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Wow :shock: Sorry to read this story and glad you and your mate are doing well. When I read your story images went through my mind on the magnitude of the damage and honestly, I am impressed with the build of Grady given what your boat went through after hearing your story and seeing the pictures

. Sorry. so sorry as my boat is perhaps one of my prized pocessions. She is my baby and I suspect your boat could be too. My family surely ranks well above my boat, but few other things rank above the boat.

Good luck and we travel 26 routinely and know it can get congested and so forth. Take Care and Happy New Year.

sickday

Reaction score
GYP-SEA said:
Bet the car was stolen. :(

The troopers will get that guy, its what they do! Stupid drunk! I dont care how good your insurance is, what a heart break. Sorry buddy. I dont think it was stolen