A drunk driver destroyed my Grady

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Man that sucks.

From time to time I have pondered what would happen if somebody rear-ended my outboard sticking out there.

Brad1

Reaction score
So sorry to hear about your Grady.

I loved my Grady so I can understand how upset you would be. Hopefully insurance will make you whole again.

And I certainly hope they catch the guy.

midnight-rider

Reaction score
It burns me up

Every time I read about your boat. I'm retired Lawman and I used to pull idiots over who were following anything trailered too closely. I would asked them did they have any idea what would happen if they rear ended a trailer. I used to trailer 50 miles from my home to PAX NAS or 67 to Point Lookout State park and had a few close calls with Idiots. I finally painted my lower unit of my Out board Bright Orange. I figured this would help driver behind me see my boat and it did.
I bet the driver of that car was DWI and the owner will claim it was stolen for insurance and or to protect who was the driver. I glad that you and your passenger were not injuried. Good Luck with the repairs.

burrjh

Reaction score
I finally determine who the owner of the car was insured with and have setup a claim with her company. The insurance company is a subsidiary of Allstate so I'm not sure how this will effect the process.

I need to find an person who can give me an estimate on repairs. I need to make sure I find someone who will do the repairs correctly and take into account all internal structure of the boat. If anyone has recommendations I'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks again!!

burrjh

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about this company out of Florida.

They responded to my thread on thehulltruth.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Been following your troubles on charlestonfishing. Hope everything works out for you. Sounds like your making some progress though.

burrjh

Reaction score
Update:

I have spoken with Grady White and they do not deal with this type of repair. They echoed what you guys are saying, I need to make sure someone inspects the stringers and transom to insure the internal integrity of the boat. They referred my to a couple of boat surveyors in Charleston.

I spoke with the Trooper who pulled came to the scene. He claimed the car had been searched but that they didn't find anything. He also said that nobody had tried to make contact with the car owner. He basically said that if this guy didn't come forward they wouldn't find him.

After jumping through hoops to get the Allstate agent handling the claim against the car owner to answer the phone, he told me that he heard car was stolen. However, he couldn't verify a time that the car was stolen. He said another agent had told him this. I'm waiting to hear back from him.

Of course after hearing this I got on the phone and started raising hell.

I first spoke with the who guy who impounded the thugs car. He said that no one had searched the car and that the cert. letters he sent to the owners and the lien holder both came back. The police officer lied. He said that he got into the car and found the owners insurance information along with a black male's drivers license in the glove box.

I got on the phone and called the HP and asked to speak to the Sergeant in charge. After explaining all of this to him he has gotten the sheriff's office involved and has setup a time tonight to go inspect the car. He also volunteer to call the insurance agent. He said the car is not showing up as stolen in his system.

I also spoke with an attorney. He's a good friend and is giving me advice (free off the record). However, if he gets involved it's 1/3 of whatever is recovered. Hopefully it want come to that but it eats me alive to think this guy can destroy my boat take off and come up with some bs story that the car was stolen and walk away hurting my insurance record.

Hopefully, the Highway Patrol will do their job and finally follow up on this. to be continued.....

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
At this point it doesn't matter who isn't doing their job, what he said or you thought you heard. Get copies of the accident report the trooper filed.

A lot of labor involved to replace the glass and restore the finish. If it were bottom painted it would be easier but matching that factory gelkote finish is going to be expensive. Busted transome or stringers require lots of disassembly to get in to work. Given the extent of the visible damage and possible internal damage they may total the boat.

What are you going to do it this vehicle was not insured? If it were me I would get my insurance company involved. You send money to them every year now its their turn. They would settle up with you and chase after the car owners insurance company, etc. for reimbursment and deductibles.

Does your insurance cover replacement value or a fixed amount that would put you back in a equivalent boat?

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Several months ago I was hit and run accident where the other guy keep going. A few things I learned from the experience.

1) My insurance covered what turned out to be a total of my vehicle. Their idea of replacement value sucked but it wasn't worth persuing for a relatively small difference. Main problem was the adjuster who developed an attitude once I questioned her value.

2) Read the accident report carefully. In my case the officer had switched the vehicles on the diagram showing my car as the one that fled. I was able to go through the process amended and corrected.

3) My insurance had a provision for reduction of the deductible by 50% if it was an uninsured motorist. The insurance company had to be reminded that that was the case several times. Eventually I got them to read the accident report and / or call the officer. They did not want to do any investigation.

4) Nobody other than the victum cares about the other driver, where he went, what happened, or will but any effort into finding the person. The goal of everyone else is to get files off their desk as soon as they can.

5) Good luck. Glad no one in your truck was injured.

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
Wow you have a good control over your temper. I would have chased the guy down and beat him to an inch of his life with my mag-light. I hope they find the guy, dont count on him having insurance, and lock his ass up.

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Hey buddy, terribly sorry about your boat.( been following your personal nightmare) I agree with CaptainKenny! I do believe some serious retaliation would have been justified! 8)