Adding a raw water washdown and live well to my 2009 Grady White 226 Seafarer

waynenvabeach

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My GW did not come with a raw water washdown or live well. I was thinking of turning the small ice box on the port side into a live well and also adding a washdown under the port stern seat or port gunnel. I am a little concerned about drilling a hole in my boat, and location. Should I drill 2 holes one for each? can they share a pickup? I will post pictures when done.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I added a live well and wash down with much help from other Grady members and guidance 3 months ago.

I only cutout one hole and used a dual pump.

You can plumb the lines after the sea cock anywhere on your hull.

No fears about drilling the cutout. PM me with any questions.

Lee

Last edited:

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I’m the Shurflo Rep. In 1994 I came up with the idea of the extra port at the base of the livewell pump. We patented it and now license other companies to use it. You only need 1 seacock with the dual port. Shurflo sells Grady all theur livewell pumpS. We have the Piranha, The Bait Sentry and our High Flow pumps.
Put a 3/4“ scoop Strainer thru the bottom. Then screw a 3/4” ball valve on that. Then screw the pump directly into the valve. Unscrew the white plug near the base of the pump. Put a 1/2” male thread by 3/4” barb into that hole. Plumb 3/4” hose up to your Shurflo Blaster washdown pump. Then plumb 3/4” hose from The livewell pump up to your livewell. We have an excellent livewell fill valve too from Shurflo.
All these parts are available from Defender Marine.

Reactions: waynenvabeach

waynenvabeach

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hi I wanted to leave a follow up. I am finally almost completed. Still have a thru the wall hose bib to install. It is working and tested. The wash down has great pressure. The live well is working as expected. A big thank you to usmm1234. I became a Defender 1st member and was able to order everything needed. At first when putting in the thru hull pickup I got it backwards but noticed it right away and installed it correctly. Here are a few pictures.

Attachments

• installed thru hull fitting.jpg
    installed thru hull fitting.jpg
    814.1 KB · Views: 62
  • shut off valve and live well pump.jpg
    shut off valve and live well pump.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 61
  • Salt water wash down. Very happy with pressure.jpg
    Salt water wash down. Very happy with pressure.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 59
  • extended drain in ice box converted to livewell.jpg
    extended drain in ice box converted to livewell.jpg
    529.7 KB · Views: 61
  • inside livewell. with light and air..jpg
    inside livewell. with light and air..jpg
    527 KB · Views: 56
  • coiled hose. Still need thru hull hose bib.jpg
    coiled hose. Still need thru hull hose bib.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 60
Reactions: PNW_Drifter

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nice job waynenvabeach!

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Hi I wanted to leave a follow up. I am finally almost completed. Still have a thru the wall hose bib to install. It is working and tested. The wash down has great pressure. The live well is working as expected. A big thank you to usmm1234. I became a Defender 1st member and was able to order everything needed. At first when putting in the thru hull pickup I got it backwards but noticed it right away and installed it correctly. Here are a few pictures.

Man, you did it Right!

taydawg197

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
How did this end up working out? Looking to do a similar job on an 03 208.

Thanks!

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My GW did not come with a raw water washdown or live well. I was thinking of turning the small ice box on the port side into a live well and also adding a washdown under the port stern seat or port gunnel. I am a little concerned about drilling a hole in my boat, and location. Should I drill 2 holes one for each? can they share a pickup? I will post pictures when done.
You only need one 3/4” pickup thru the bottom. The Shurflo Piranha has a dual port feature that allows you to attach a washdown pump to an outlet port at the blue case of the pump. You will need a 1/2”MPTx3/4” barb fitting. Get the small 500 piranha and the 3.5gpm Shurflo Blaster.

Reactions: taydawg197

Fishtales

Reaction score
Very good info in this thread.