228 Baitwell Aerator Addition

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Have a question,
My 228's rear center baitwell doesn't have an aerator or pump. I only use it to keep fish that I catch alive if I feel like taking a few home to eat. I currently fill it up using my Homer bucket. They of course die from lack of oxygen in a few hours.
Could an addition of aerator keep between 2-4 fish that are around 22" alive for the day, or not enough oxygen to support them?
I am curious if any of you have tried this, and what were the results.
Thank you for your consideration :p
Lee
PS-When I keep replacing water by draining and topping off, they can make the day, but that's another chore I dislike.

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Depends on the fish. Sturgeon, striper, catfish and halibut will live out of water for hours. Lake trout and rainbows seem to die 5 minutes after you catch them. You could try a little portable battery operated pump with a hose and aerator stone and give it a shot.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Are these fish freshwater or saltwater? I ask because of you are catching freshwater species , you can use an aerator either a "aquarium style pump" with an air stone or you can use an impeller style one that runs on 12 volt clamps to your battery. The latter will be better because it really injects air into the column and it circulates water. If they are freshwater species you can add some ice to the water . As cooker water holds more oxygen. If you are going after saltwater fish , I would use the Baitsaver brand impeller .

The other side of the equation. Is this. Fish don't make urea and convert it urine. they pee straight up ammonia. That live well is only 22 gallons. I have a reef aquarium and typical rule of thumb for an marine aquarium is 1/2 inch of fish per gallon. This is for territory but it's also to manage the waste load of the system. If your goal is to keep them alive until you get back home , you need to be mindful of the oxygen , waste and temperatures of the water. A stressed fish uses more O2 , produces more NH4 and is sensitive to temperature especially Warner temps. I realize you're not trying create a balance aquarium here , but if your goal is to keep alive for more than a couple hours , replace water, aerate the heck out of it and keep it on the cool side.

Reactions: leeccoll

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hmmm, mine has a pump and a stand pipe with a screen over it that allows it to fill and drain, replenishing the water.

20181013_121334.jpg

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Depends on the fish. Sturgeon, striper, catfish and halibut will live out of water for hours. Lake trout and rainbows seem to die 5 minutes after you catch them. You could try a little portable battery operated pump with a hose and aerator stone and give it a shot.
Yeah, was thinking of something more permanent, will probable just keep draining then adding H2O.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Are these fish freshwater or saltwater? I ask because of you are catching freshwater species , you can use an aerator either a "aquarium style pump" with an air stone or you can use an impeller style one that runs on 12 volt clamps to your battery. The latter will be better because it really injects air into the column and it circulates water. If they are freshwater species you can add some ice to the water . As cooker water holds more oxygen. If you are going after saltwater fish , I would use the Baitsaver brand impeller .

The other side of the equation. Is this. Fish don't make urea and convert it urine. they pee straight up ammonia. That live well is only 22 gallons. I have a reef aquarium and typical rule of thumb for an marine aquarium is 1/2 inch of fish per gallon. This is for territory but it's also to manage the waste load of the system. If your goal is to keep them alive until you get back home , you need to be mindful of the oxygen , waste and temperatures of the water. A stressed fish uses more O2 , produces more NH4 and is sensitive to temperature especially Warner temps. I realize you're not trying create a balance aquarium here , but if your goal is to keep alive for more than a couple hours , replace water, aerate the heck out of it and keep it on the cool side.
Freshwater fish....
That makes sense, hence when I keep draining and adding they seem to do okay. Lot's of poop as well!
Water in the Alpine lakes is plenty cool, so that's no issue.
Thank you!

Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
No Skunk,

I would have to add a seacock below waterline, something I don't think is worth it for my needs.

On my old 20 footer I used a cooler and a bucket. Worked fine for bunker.

In my freshwater days I remember that when we bought herring from the tackle shop we had to use an aerator stone and NEVER change the water....except one lake...Round Valley Reservoir that had clean cold water.

If we bought shiners, they went in a bait bucket with holes, over the side. If you aerated the same water they were toast...

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am trying to keep my catch alive, not bait. I use lures to catch.

Farewell and adieu to you Spanish Ladies

Last edited:
Reactions: Bloodweiser

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Lee,
The picture KY put up is the best solution. My current boat has the same set up. I don't use it for the catch, If I catch something for the table it goes straight on ice they are much better than keeping them alive because they stress when kept in small area.
I keep my live bait in there, mostly yellowtail and slimmies but I can have 40 in there so the tank is very full and they keep fine all day.
If you have a raw water washdown you already have a seacock, if so you can get a pump with a spare outlet, you can use that to install the livewell pump.
My old boat didn't have a raw washdown but she had a plumbed livewell so I did as above to install a raw water washdown.
If you want to do that I can post details how to do it.
My current boat has 2 seacocks one for livewell and the other for washdown. I prefer the way I set up the old one with one seacock to worry about.
I only use my boat for offshore fishing so when I get her back home I have 2 seacock pick ups to rinse. I put a fitting that I made with hose attachment under the boat where the pick ups are and run the pumps for a few minutes to get rid of the salt water.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks Hoon,
Now we are getting somewhere. I never thought about the taste of the catch on ice vs live. Mostly because the water temps are 50 degrees at surface right now.
I am practical by nature, so skipping ice made it easier for me, but I'm okay icing down if I decide to keep something for a meal. Except for billfish, I never targeted species I didn't want to eat.
And yes could use your help with an installation of a system. I don't have a washdown on my boat. I have a drain on my livewell that water and goes through the port thru hull. Now that I am thinking about it, there is also one on the rear starboard as well. There might have been a washdown at some point, but the PO didn't use the boat for anything except family fun (no fishing).
I would love a washdown system, and a livewell too if I can add without too much headache. Was not a top priority, but would be nice.
I am wondering if the starboard thru hull has been sealed off inside the boat. I have it an hour away, so no chance to look at it right now, but I can bring it to my house for a couple days to work on configurations. Thanks for you offer to help, I am all ears :)

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
And thanks for everyone's input as well!

Really helpful getting other's opinions and suggestions.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
The livewell drain on both my 228's is on the rear starboard side so I assume if you have an outlet there it will be it.
Next check to see if you have a bronze pick up under the boat, my old boat that didn't come with deckwash had the pick up on the starboard side and she will have a seacock in the bilge slightly to starboard side next to the bilge pump. Your boat is a lot older than my old one and could different but not likely.
Have a look there and let me know if you have that and we'll go from there.
I have to warn you that the livewell tank will have to come out if you are to modify in order to have both livewell and deckwash.

1589801752925.png

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here's how mine was setup under the livewell. Looking at pic, left side is baitwell pickup, right side is raw water wash pickup.

20180722_141642.jpg

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The livewell drain on both my 228's is on the rear starboard side so I assume if you have an outlet there it will be it.
Next check to see if you have a bronze pick up under the boat, my old boat that didn't come with deckwash had the pick up on the starboard side and she will have a seacock in the bilge slightly to starboard side next to the bilge pump. Your boat is a lot older than my old one and could different but not likely.
Have a look there and let me know if you have that and we'll go from there.
I have to warn you that the livewell tank will have to come out if you are to modify in order to have both livewell and deckwash.

View attachment 13232
I don't have any pick ups on my hull, only a drain hose that go to the thru hull.

There IS an old thru hull transducer that was never removed, but not in use. Sits right beside the bilge pump so in theory I could yank that out and put the pick up there, hoping the od is same size or smaller than the new pick up.

I've removed the livewell more times than I care to admit, so that can be done in my sleep.

If I install a new pick on the hull, can I get by with one for both livewell and washdown somehow?

Thanks again for the help with this!

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here's how mine was setup under the livewell. Looking at pic, left side is baitwell pickup, right side is raw water wash pickup.

View attachment 13241
Thanks for posting the pic KY, now I understand what's going on. What's the blue rectangular box down there? Looks like it says "sure ball".

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't have any pick ups on my hull, only a drain hose that go to the thru hull.

There IS an old thru hull transducer that was never removed, but not in use. Sits right beside the bilge pump so in theory I could yank that out and put the pick up there, hoping the od is same size or smaller than the new pick up.

I've removed the livewell more times than I care to admit, so that can be done in my sleep.

If I install a new pick on the hull, can I get by with one for both livewell and washdown somehow?

Thanks again for the help with this!

I have a brass clam fitting like the one in the pic above. Be sure to get a full flow ball cock and a full flow barb for it. I used all 3/4 thread and 3/4 hose to a diverted valve for my wash down and livewell. It works perfect.