228 Baitwell Aerator Addition

wrxhoon

Reaction score
You are getting there Lee, Just one thing the livewell outlet looks a bit small for my liking , to make sure the tank doesn't overflow it has to be 1.5". In the picture it looks about the same diameter as the inlet , if that's so it will not work.
Use the same diameter as the scupper hose.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good catch Hoon!

I'm guessing that I have to change the thru hull fitting/hose size for the discharge to accommodate the overflow as well?

I will verify the existing hose size for the live well drain tomorrow.

Fill is as you say, 1.5"

Thanks~

wrxhoon

Reaction score
The factory fitted livewell has the outlet in the middle of the tank as per picture previously posted. The location is not a problem as long as it is at the lowest part of the tank and even if it isn't no big deal it means you may have a few drops of water in the tank when you pull the pvc pipe off to drain . The through hull for the livewell is the same diameter as the scuppers and that works very well, my tank never overflows. The fact that your tank wasn't used as livewell, they just had any size hose/through hull just to drain ice or whatever..
At least you know what you are doing but it is time consuming but hey the satisfaction is there doing it yourself and there are lots of people here happy to give advice..

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The factory fitted livewell has the outlet in the middle of the tank as per picture previously posted. The location is not a problem as long as it is at the lowest part of the tank and even if it isn't no big deal it means you may have a few drops of water in the tank when you pull the pvc pipe off to drain . The through hull for the livewell is the same diameter as the scuppers and that works very well, my tank never overflows. The fact that your tank wasn't used as livewell, they just had any size hose/through hull just to drain ice or whatever..
At least you know what you are doing but it is time consuming but hey the satisfaction is there doing it yourself and there are lots of people here happy to give advice..
Ordered a 1.5 drain and stainless thru hull today. Picked up hose/clamps at local West Marine. Again, good catch I really appreciate the help.

Already removed the old drain fitting on the tank, this is an easy change out at least. And now the new drain can accommodate the 1.5" overflow drain tube :cool:.

20200601_151152.jpg

Last edited:

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
New thru hull installed for live well drain, and new drain elbow for the 1 1/2" drain hose. Used a Dremmel for enlarging both installs since a hole saw would have done a lot of damage spinning everywhere since there were holes previously cut out.

Taking some friends out fishing tomorrow, so I can test the new sea cock install for leaks, and have some fun too!

20200603_170457.jpg
20200604_142103.jpg

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Good work Lee.
In future if you need to enlarge a hole you can fix a piece of plywood on one side for the holesaw guide drill bit to stay in place .Of course what you did worked just as good.

Reactions: leeccoll

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hoon,

I'm an impatient worker!!

The good news today was boat is water tight. Tested this morning before heading out fishing and the new additions were dry as a bone~meaning sea cock and drain thru hull.

My next to last step is getting the wiring ready for the switches so when they arrive I can make short business of the final wiring hookup.

I did purchase the adjustable timer for the livewell you use. I think that is a nice addition too!

Anxious to button everything up and run it on the water. I bet there still is a 1-2 week window on receiving the new switch panel.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Tested out the motor for the live well and wash down today after getting wiring ready when my new switch panel shows up.

Both worked, glad I tested on water, the live well's hose clamps needed tightening for both fill and drain. Dry bilge :)

20200608_140028.jpg

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I hope you installed a one way valve on the hose that pumps water to the tank Lee. If you haven't water will drain out via the pump when the pump is not on.

• Wow

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
"Install a non-return inline valve they say"

"You'll love working in the bilge they say"

Valve installed, new mini-panel panel switches for the live well and wash down from New Wire Marine in route, scheduled to arrive on Monday. Hoping to put this puppy to rest by mid next week.

Will be out on water tomorrow so I can test for drips and verify it will keep the live well primed.

20200613_161634.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: wrxhoon

wrxhoon

Reaction score
"You'll love working in the bilge they say"
You love working in the bilge, especially if you are 6' plus and a bit overweight like most of us. In any case she will work and keep a tankful of livies . I have about 40 in there when the dollies (dolphin to you guys) are around.

• Haha

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Cut out and installed new switch panel today.

I do like it back near the livewell and wash down.

Ran outta time to get the aerator timer installed, but definitely happy with this install so far.

20200615_183007.jpg20200615_183511.jpg20200615_183034.jpg

Last edited:

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Last piece of the puzzle installed-yahoo!!

Now I can have the livewell cycle as little or much as I want.

I had a heck of a time figuring out the simple wiring, but finally clicked in.

Another upgrade for the books :cool:

Thanking Jerry aka wrxhoon for lots of advice, and same to all members who chimed in to help as well. Appreciate you guys!

20200616_115211.jpg