228 Baitwell Aerator Addition

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a brass clam fitting like the one in the pic above. Be sure to get a full flow ball cock and a full flow barb for it. I used all 3/4 thread and 3/4 hose to a diverted valve for my wash down and livewell. It works perfect.
Thanks for the tip Sparkdog!

Woof woof ;)

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Looks like there is a way to work both aerator and washdown with a dual port livewell pump and a washdown off one seacock.

That's if I am interpreting correctly. Break out another $500 :eek:

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I don't have any pick ups on my hull, only a drain hose that go to the thru hull.

There IS an old thru hull transducer that was never removed, but not in use. Sits right beside the bilge pump so in theory I could yank that out and put the pick up there, hoping the od is same size or smaller than the new pick up.

I've removed the livewell more times than I care to admit, so that can be done in my sleep.

If I install a new pick on the hull, can I get by with one for both livewell and washdown somehow?

Thanks again for the help with this!

If you don't have any pick ups under the hull it means you won't have any seacocks either. the livewell was never connected as a livewell then either. It could be used to store drinks or fish hence the outlet in the rear transom to empty the tank.
Through hull ducers usually have much bigger holes on the hull, note I said usually.
You can certainly have one pick up and one seacock for both livewell and deckwash I think you are very capable of doing all the installation $500 may just do it but hey it's a B.O.A.T. remember.

Here is what you need :
A bronze scoop pick up as per above picture. Perco under $100.
A proper ball valve seacock as per KY's photo, note he has 2, you only need one . Perco make one in USA ( not Chinese) Under $150
A Rule pump like this one Rule 405FC Livewell/Aerator Water Pump 1100GPH SeacockFitting 12V Boat Marine MD.
You don't have to use Rule and similar pump will do but I like Rule. Johnson make them as well. That 1100 pump works very well I installed the very same one in my last 228. You can buy them anywhere for under $60.
This pump has another outlet , you can see the plastic screw blocking it. That pump will screw on to the Ball valve seacock, the seacock will screw on the bronze strainer /pick up.
You will need a long S/S rod fixed on the ball vale arm so you can operate it as per KY's picture.
The rest of the stuff you need will hoses clamps deckwash fitting, a spiral hose etc .. You can buy a kit for under $150 depending on the size you get. SEAFLO 12V 5.0 GPM 70 PSI Washdown Deck Wash Pump KIT for Caravan Rv Boat Marine $120 on Ebay
You will also need to put a small hole on the side (very low) your tank and some plastic fittings for the water feed in the tank. You can buy a PVC pipe with rubber on the bottom that will fit snug in the hole on the bottom of your tank cut it to size a bit under the top of the tank put a plastic grill on the top so the fish don't go down the hole if you have little baitfish in there and your done.
Of course you need electrical connections done with a switch for each pump on the helm where your other switches are.
I Add a variable switch on mine so it goes on and off depending on how many fish I have in the tank .
VARIABLE 12V Livewell Aerator Timer Adjustable by Leisure Lectronics LWS-V $40 on EBay
When mounting your deckwash pump make sure you mount it upside down, the electric motor on the top pump underneath , pump will last a lot longer this way.

1589855903272.png

1589855788798.png
1589855750797.png
1589855686662.png

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thx Hoon!

I'll go fetch boat tomorrow and bring her home to yank out old transducer and go from there. My HOA and neighbors love it when my vessel is out front. o_O

Thanks for taking the time to walk me through this. Helps me out alot man!!

I think the old transducer is a small od, there were two other side nuts/bolts on the inside of the bilge if I remember correctly, but will find out soon and report back with pics.

Off to the races...

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm confused....your livewell doesn't pump water in?
Guess I learned from my 4 sisters and decided to change my mind LOL.

Decided to move forward on the new pickup for aerator and washdown,

Like the New England weather, stay tuned, tomorrow that forecast might change :rolleyes:

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have one clam intake fitting with a ball valve and a full flow 90 coming in. I have a 3/4 hard wall hose going to the shuflo 60 psi pump. Then the pump feeds a diverter valve that splits 2 ways. One hose goes to the livewell and the other hose goes to the wash down garden hose fitting. I can turn on the wash down and livewell at the same time or run each accessory individually.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here's how mine was setup under the livewell. Looking at pic, left side is baitwell pickup, right side is raw water wash pickup.

View attachment 13241
Wait wow, you 228 owners get handles to operate your valves from the back corner seat hatches? That’s messed up grady does that, and then on the 226’s we have to lower the motor dam and then pop two deck hatches on your knees to get to the valves. Can you take another pic of all the hardware that’s involved in that setup.
Also is that wires to a bilge plug light? What model and how do you like it?

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I have one clam intake fitting with a ball valve and a full flow 90 coming in. I have a 3/4 hard wall hose going to the shuflo 60 psi pump. Then the pump feeds a diverter valve that splits 2 ways. One hose goes to the livewell and the other hose goes to the wash down garden hose fitting. I can turn on the wash down and livewell at the same time or run each accessory individually.
That's another way of doing it, it is how cheap boat manufacturers do it, like Trophy. I have to say it works but is not the most efficient way of doing it although it is the cheapest. You are using a pressure pump to feed the livewell , pressure pumps don't have the volume that bilge/aerator pumps have and they are using a lot more power. They are ideal for deckwash as you need pressure . On the bait tank you need volume not pressure.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Wait wow, you 228 owners get handles to operate your valves from the back corner seat hatches? That’s messed up grady does that, and then on the 226’s we have to lower the motor dam and then pop two deck hatches on your knees to get to the valves. Can you take another pic of all the hardware that’s involved in that setup.
Also is that wires to a bilge plug light? What model and how do you like it?
It would be impossible to operate without the levers on a 228 unless you have 5' arms!

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore

This is the diverter valve I have. It is mounted on the wall under my rear rod holders. The knob is on the outsiDe and all hose connections are on the inside. I believe I used longer bolts since my wall is about 1/2 in thick. It was actually factory installed in 1988. I replaced it in 2005 n it is still working great.
D41C86A7-72B5-4645-9110-29FD7ED0C53E.jpeg720CCAFE-BA37-4D35-98A9-A446E13F8DBF.jpeg7B3862F0-AECB-4C9A-9029-8FEAFF4946F0.jpeg

Reactions: leeccoll

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Groco is sometimes cheaper than Perko and has the same quality. The 90 degree at the ball valve accepts a 1 inch hose for the inlet. That could help maximize your intake for the two 3/4 supply outputs out of the diverter valve. Be sure the hose from the bottom of the hull to the pump is hard wall so it doesn’t collapse under suction.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It would be impossible to operate without the levers on a 228 unless you have 5' arms!
Yeah no I get it lol just never thought about it till I saw it. This winter I want to add that. Want to see where the handles attach under the seat.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Summer,,,,,I looked for a pic of the other end of the handle, didn't have any. They end under the jump seats.

As far as the drain plug light, I got it from boatpluglight.com. It works fine for what it is. Wine and cheese cruise and hanging out at night, haven't used it to fish.

20171127_115929.jpg20180127_194232-1222x1629.jpg

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Rain today, and other obstacles, will try to emancipate existing thru hull tomorrow.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Yeah no I get it lol just never thought about it till I saw it. This winter I want to add that. Want to see where the handles attach under the seat.
Here you go, Both starboard and port sides. The old 228 was different they had a hole on the brace , the rod was guided through there.As you cab see on this boat they have aluminum brackets with holes.

Attachments

• 20200520_114039.jpg
    20200520_114039.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
  • 20200520_114118.jpg
    20200520_114118.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
  • 20200520_114235.jpg
    20200520_114235.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
  • 20200520_114132.jpg
    20200520_114132.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here you go, Both starboard and port sides. The old 228 was different they had a hole on the brace , the rod was guided through there.As you cab see on this boat they have aluminum brackets with holes.
Alright thank you! Definitely a winter project I’m doing