adding a wash down

joesmo86

Reaction score
I want to add a wash down to my 209 escape, my plan is to tee off after my livewell pump, but not sure where to run my plumbing to hook up a hose, an for my hose a picked up 1 of them flex hoses from an as seen on tv store, that expand when pressure is applied then coil up to almost nothing, any suggestions would be appreciated an maybe some pics to see what others have done, thanks

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
I would check to see where Grady puts the wash down connection on a 209 with this feature. Grady does a great job of figuring out where things should go.

joesmo86

Reaction score
yea thats true, so If you have a 209 escape with a wash down can you post pics of it? thanks

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
Click on links above, go to Grady White web site, click on Fisherman 209, scroll through photo album until you get a shot of the aft end of the cockpit. See wash down connection on port side.

OldCarolina

Reaction score
Joesmo86,

Here is the page out of the 2012 owners manual with the outlet shown aft port side. You can see it in an image i the slide show of the 2012 209 from the Grady website.

Let me know how it goes because I'm considering the same mod on my boat. I have a shurflo piranha 800 pump and if you have the same thing I'm curious how well it will work.

Good luck.

SJ

Attachments

• 209washdown.jpg
    209washdown.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 5,165

seasick

Reaction score
Although what you suggest is doable, there are factors to consider. First of all, you need a two way valve not a Tee. You have to block the flow to the livewell while routing water to the washdown.
The gallons per minute requirements for the livewell are smaller than needed for the washdown. So if using the livewell pump you will have a somewhat weak washdown. If you up the pump rating, you will push more water into the livewell than optimal. That is not as bad as not enough water flow though.
Finally, the livewell pump is rated for continuous operation whereas the washdown isn't. Using a livewell pump will be OK (but perhaps weak flow) but using a washdown pump will result in premature failure if used for long periods in the livewell.
The optimal solution of course is a separate pickup. seacock, pump and plumbing. Have you checked to see if there is a separate pickup? My boat was not originally equiped with washdown but did have the seacock for it. Adding the feature was pretty easy. Even the wires were pre run.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I agree with seasick you need another pump.

The livewell pump is a normal bilge pump , high volume (1100 g ph) but low pressure and draws very little current (3.3 amp) . A typical deckwash pump is 4-7 g per minute (240-420 GPH) , so much less volume but at 40-70 psi and draws much more current, ideal for washdown to clean up.
When I bought my 228G she didn't have one either ( she only had freshwater) , this is how I did mine.
I bought a 1100 G rule aerator pump with another outlet from here;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rule-Tournament ... a3&vxp=mtr
I took off my old rule pump from the through hull that was used for the livewell and screwed the new pump in its place . The bottom of this pump has a plug , take the plug off and screw a pick up hose for youe washdown . Find a good place to install your new washdown pump , this is what I used and it works very well with as much pressure and volume as your garden hose.
This is the kit I used , don't be tempted to buy the 4.0 or 5.0 ( they will do the job but the 6.0 comes with a much better nozzle and more volume) http://www.islandmarineelectronics.com/ ... _4722.html

Don't install the pump low in the bilge where it will get wet with saltwater, It won't last long, don't worry it will suck water up high unlike a bilge pump that has to be bellow water level to work.
If you buy that kit the only othet stuff you need is hose ( make sure is heavy duty so it won't burst and clamp it well) cable, fuse etc...and this outlet to srew hour coil hose to it.
http://www.sea-dog.com/groups/2399-wash ... ter-outlet

All up not much more than $200 plus your time to install . If you want to install the outlet in the same place as GW do follow the diagram . I installed mine on the starboard side because it suited me better than the factory port side .

OldCarolina

Reaction score
Wxrhoon's post is the way to go. I had no idea they made livewell pumps with secondary outlets before the pump. Oh that's perfect. Two pumps running off one hole in the bottom of the boat.

Great post.

SJ

seasick

Reaction score
On your boat, the bilge is relatively dry so the pump doesn't get wet on the outside. It will be wet on the inside since it connects directly to the seacock and is just about at or below the water line. I am not sure that with the current plumbing, there will be sufficient pressure using the dual output pump since the live well will be filling with water when the pump is on. It may be necessary to add a shutoff valve to the live well feed.
Hve you looked to see if there is an existing separated water inlet for a washdown?

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Here's what I used when I replaced my plumbing. Mine was on a T-22, so you'd have to determine if you had enough space and access - ball valve attached to the thru hull scoop, hose to a Surflo Pro Baitmaster pump, plumbed to the valve shown below, plumbed to both baitwell and washdown fittings in the cockpit. The pump is located high on the interior transom, and mounted vertically with 'motor up'.

ballvalveLargeSmall_zpsea800bc0.jpg

I maintain a 35 gal baitwell without any flow restrictions, but it would be easy enough to add a metering fitting if there were an excess flow problem. In my setup, access is easy to flip the valve when I need the washdown, the pump is rated for continuous duty, and I've certainly used it that way (5-7 hours each time out in the summer). My experience is that 'livewell' pumps make lousy wash downs, and most 'washdown' pumps do not have the guts for continuous use with a live/baitwell. You might be able to adapt either to your needs, but I had poor results when I tried ... :wink:

wrxhoon

Reaction score
seasick said:
On your boat, the bilge is relatively dry so the pump doesn't get wet on the outside. It will be wet on the inside since it connects directly to the seacock and is just about at or below the water line. I am not sure that with the current plumbing, there will be sufficient pressure using the dual output pump since the live well will be filling with water when the pump is on. It may be necessary to add a shutoff valve to the live well feed.
Hve you looked to see if there is an existing separated water inlet for a washdown?

Only the bilge pump is fitted to the seacock , bilge pumps can be under water, here in Australia people use a bilge pumps mounted on the bottom of the transon to pump water to their fishwells , they use a 1/2" pipe that ends up under the transon for the water to feed the livewell when the boat is on the plane.
Sorry but I can't get a photo as it is under the livewell but the system works very well .
The only time the livewell will fill up is if the boat is moving and the seacock open or if you use the 1100 gal rule pump when stationary. The livewell will NEVER get water in it if the boat is stationary and you turn the washdown pump on. The reason for that the pick up for the washdown is before the bilge pump. These dual port pumps have been available in USA for many years now . I bought mine in USA, they have them here now but twice the price, just like everything else here . I had the same set up on my previous boat a Trophy 2002. The factoty set up on that used a pressure pump to do both with a switch , stupid set up but Trophy are cheap boats so they saved one pump all of $45 !!! The location of the pressure pump was stupid too , it was low in the bilge , the last one to two years.
Actually I have a T with a valve just before the hose goes in the livewell tank the other hose I run to my tuna tubes fitted on the transom, thats the reason I use 1100 gal pump , I can have water feeding bothe at the same time or just the livewell.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
OldCarolina said:
Seasick,

Are you saying that in wrxhoon's system, the livewell will fill with water with washdown pump on and the livewell pump off?

It will NOT as there is nothing pumping in to it.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I don't know why Grady don't use this set up, saves having two through hulls, it will also create problems with your transduccer. You have two one on each side so you don't have clean water for the tranny to work . I'm lucky my boat only had the one on the starboard side and I put my tranny on the port side. I know tranny is better on the starboard side but works great because the engine is further back thanks to the engine bracket on my 228G.
I think the reason they don't use it is because the twin port aerator pumps didn't exist many years ago and they stuck with the two trhough hulls over the years.

seasick

Reaction score
OldCarolina said:
Seasick,

Are you saying that in wrxhoon's system, the livewell will fill with water with washdown pump on and the livewell pump off?
His solution is a single pump with dual outlets. If there is no shutoff to the livewell, it will get water whenever the pump is on and that includes when using the washdown. I didn't look at the the site he referenced so I can't say if there was a valve.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I don't know why Grady don't use this set up,

They did for a long time, except they used a crappy plastic 'Y' valve. That's why I plumbed my own 225G ... :wink:

OldCarolina

Reaction score
Seasick please go back and read wrxhoon's post. Read the entire post carefully. The livewell pump is not on and the livewell does not fill with water when the washdown pump is on. Two pumps. One hole in boat. Beautiful.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
OldCarolina said:
Seasick please go back and read wrxhoon's post. Read the entire post carefully. The livewell pump is not on and the livewell does not fill with water when the washdown pump is on. Two pumps. One hole in boat. Beautiful.

I'm glad someone understands how it is done guys, I would put up pictures for everyone to see but I can't as it is under the livewell and I don't want to remove it to take pictures.

ONE hole on the bottom of the boat thats all you need, ONE through hull fitting again thas all you need, srew the aerator pump on the through hull, this pump can be bought with another outlet ( dual outlet pump) the top outlet feeds in to your livewell and the bottom outlet ( this outlet is before the pump) feeds to your SECOND pump anywhere you like to install this second pump , this SECOND pump is a pressure pump with the outlet going to your washdown fitting , screw your washdown hose end to this. Do all the electrical connections and presto you have a washdown and a livewell both working with different pumps just like as if you had two holes on the bottom of your boat ( Grady do this 2 hole option). You switch the washdown pump on and ONLY the washdown will have pressure, you can leave this on all the time if you like as you press the trigger the pump will pump, trigger off pump stops unless you have a leak, you switch the livewell on only the livewell will have water coming in. I can't understand why GW don't use this option.
My set up saves another hole on the boat, another through hull, that would save them money in parts and labour!!

I hope all concerned understand how this set up works, I can't make any simpler.

seasick

Reaction score
wrxhoon said:
OldCarolina said:

I'm glad someone understands how it is done guys, I would put up pictures for everyone to see but I can't as it is under the livewell and I don't want to remove it to take pictures.

ONE hole on the bottom of the boat thats all you need, ONE through hull fitting again thas all you need, srew the aerator pump on the through hull, this pump can be bought with another outlet ( dual outlet pump) the top outlet feeds in to your livewell and the bottom outlet ( this outlet is before the pump) feeds to your SECOND pump anywhere you like to install this second pump , this SECOND pump is a pressure pump with the outlet going to your washdown fitting , screw your washdown hose end to this. Do all the electrical connections and presto you have a washdown and a livewell both working with different pumps just like as if you had two holes on the bottom of your boat ( Grady do this 2 hole option). You switch the washdown pump on and ONLY the washdown will have pressure, you can leave this on all the time if you like as you press the trigger the pump will pump, trigger off pump stops unless you have a leak, you switch the livewell on only the livewell will have water coming in. I can't understand why GW don't use this option.
My set up saves another hole on the boat, another through hull, that would save them money in parts and labour!!

I hope all concerned understand how this set up works, I can't make any simpler.

I think I got it now after this latest post. There are two pumps, one for each task bu the input is shared. The tee off feed t pump 2 is before pump 1. Am I getting it?