Adding Rod Holders

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a 2003 330 Express, and am planning to add a pair of rod holders in the gunwales, between the two stock pairs. Looking around, I found taylormarine on the auction site. They have the "new" version of rod holders at a much better price than the "old" version of the holders. Any reason not to use the new version on my boat? My first preference is to have GW holders, but may elect for Lee's in the end.

Thanks

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I added rod holders in my boat in the same place. I used lees as my rods can't tell the difference. Easy install.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Think about what angle rod holders you need to add and where they will point.
You probably have the aft 30 degree pointing straight back and the fwd 30 degree pointed 45 off the side
To go in betwwen you might use a 15 degree pointed 45 out.
That "might" keep lines from crossing tips on a strike. I figured that the rod in the one in between will bend and the line will hit the aft rod

On my 265 Express I was able to point 30 degree rodholders straight out, mounting them forward of the existing fwd ones.
I had to get the GemLux ones that don't have screw flanges. They mount with a big nut. That bit of extra leeway gave me room in the gunnel width.

In between the originals I put a big 0 degree swivel rodholder for a bent-butt rod when drifting for sharks/swords/ tuna

aVedCd6l.jpg

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Depending on your needs there are better options than the OEM Grady White holders. Lee’s and CE Smith come to mind as well as some custom swivel holders.

For example, I have swivel holders in the stock locations on my 208, one more swivel holder forward on each side, and a side mount swivel holder on each side of the splashwell. We use 80 lb class reels with 130 lb. mono and fight fish from the holder, though, so you might not need to go as heavy. If I were fishing lighter gear I’d go with something like SkunkBoat has setup above to give more flexibility but definitely stay away from the OEM holders as they aren’t built as strong as the aforementioned brands.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sdfish

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Why not install a track and then purchase rod holders (Cisco Fishing Products - one example) that you can move / adjust any way you need. You can remove when not required and add as many as required. More flexible for various fishing requirements.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I was thinking it would require 15* holders in that spot, but yes, the angle will be important to ensure a good fit, and to keep lines somewhat separate.

My initial thoughts would be that the two forward holders would go to the outrigger lines, and the rear holder would be the inside corner baits. Then i could add one in the tower leg for way way back. That gives 7 spots.

Track style as suggested would just not work for offshore use. Tuna and other pelagics would break those in a heartbeat.

I don't foresee fishing for giants with 80 or 130's in my future, so swivel holders may not be needed. Heaviest is likely to be 50 wides, but stand up for sure.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I was thinking it would require 15* holders in that spot, but yes, the angle will be important to ensure a good fit, and to keep lines somewhat separate.

My initial thoughts would be that the two forward holders would go to the outrigger lines, and the rear holder would be the inside corner baits. Then i could add one in the tower leg for way way back. That gives 7 spots.

Track style as suggested would just not work for offshore use. Tuna and other pelagics would break those in a heartbeat.

I don't foresee fishing for giants with 80 or 130's in my future, so swivel holders may not be needed. Heaviest is likely to be 50 wides, but stand up for sure.

That sounds like a pretty good setup. The 15 degree holders should be easy to install between the stock locations. I’d suggest having a multitool/jigsaw and chisel handy to help with cutting the hole as the gunnel might be too thick for your hole saw bit to go through all at once.

Will you be running a center rigger for the WWB or straight off the rod tip?

When mounting the holders we sometimes use eye bolts for a tie down location; I’ve also used these on the underside of the gunnel for a cleaner installation:

Dog River Tools Stainless Steel Multi-Purpose Tie Down Anchor Strapping Hooks for Mounting in The Garage, Work Shop, Truck, Trailer, Golf Cart, Fence https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YNMGCBF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Xp4DzFpMq7xtE

After installation you’ll need to play around with your outrigger rigging to add or minimize dropback as desired. You also might not need to double rig the outriggers if you pin the aft lines down to the stern cleats.

What ever you do, use the correct through-bolts and washers to reinforce the install. Don't be lazy and just run panhead machine screws into the cap.

Agree. Always through bolt rod holders.

If trolling with 50 wides I’d bite the bullet and pay for backing plates. Regular washers don’t provide much more surface area than nuts and fender washers often will not clear the rod holder tube.

Also make sure to seal all of the holes you make; might want to check the stock Grady White holders as well as the holes on mine weren’t sealed...

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
The middle rod holders I installed on my boat are 15 degree. When installing them I put rods in the holders before I screwed the holders in place to get the position correct. A hole saw will cut through the gunnel just fine. I eyeballed the angle, then used a file to get them to sit perfectly. just remember to use epoxy to seal the exposed wood. I also used a lees associated backing plate to secure them in place. If you have under gunnel lighting just double check before you drill as to not hit them.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
A hole saw will cut through the gunnel just fine. I eyeballed the angle, then used a file to get them to sit perfectly. just remember to use epoxy to seal the exposed wood. I also used a lees associated backing plate to secure them in place. If you have under gunnel lighting just double check before you drill as to not hit them.

Scratch my comment about the multitool/jigsaw; we needed them when drilling the hole for the gunnel mounted outrigger bases at 45 degrees. Also a good point about watching out for the lighting

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Holokai, do you have a y pics of your rod holder setup that you can share. What year is your 208?

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Holokai, do you have a y pics of your rod holder setup that you can share. What year is your 208?

My 208 is a 2005.

Snapped a couple pics of the port side holders. The far aft holder is a cheap, non-swiveling one that we use when clearing rods for a big fish or when staging a gaff/net/bangstick when landing fish.
The rest of the holders swivel; the most fore holder is used for deep drop style fishing or drifting baits. It also serves as extra storage similar to the far aft holder.

I have one side mount swivel holder on rach side of the splashwell that I run the corner rods from; these are pinned down to the aft cleats with roller trollers.

There are also 3 spare rod holders on each bimini support and one on the pedestal base. We use these to store bait/spinning rods. They can also hold the heavier trolling setups but not when running at high speed to/from the spot.

The holder with the brush in it is a base for the center rigger.

Let me know if you have any questions.

895EF298-D50E-43B8-8B10-7ADD383239AC.jpeg4773506D-0C28-4754-AF77-D2B6BB3BAA81.jpeg

Reactions: Sdfish