advice needed

dale1

Reaction score
Greetings, I'm shopping for a 282 sailfish or 305 express. I have a 24' sea chaser walk-around now. it has A/C but no generator, and a porta-potty for a head. We fish mostly, but would like to spend more time on the boat not fishing. We have slept on our boat several times, but the open head is an issue for the wife.
So. I want to upgrade to a Grady.

Questions?
1. Are some years better than others?
2. Can I trailer the 30' without much drama?
3. how much does a loaded 28 or 30' Grady weigh?
4. if I find one without A/C, can I do the upgrade?
5. Yamaha seems to be the most popular motor. How many hours can I expect from the 225 or 250 4 stoke?

Any other advice is greatly appreciated. Incidentally. I'm a tinkerer. I just installed A/C and windlass on my boat now. My price range is around 50 to 75k.

thanks,
Dale
478-272-3650

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'll start by saying welcome to the web site and I wish you the best in your quest for a Grady.

I won't address your first three questions, as I have no direct knowledge.

4. Almost certainly. I installed a 6,500-BTU reverse-cycle unit by Mermaid Marine Air in our 270 Islander, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding a place for one in a Sailfish or Marlin.

5. Our F150s have about 1500-hours and I expect at least that much again. No reason to expect less with well-maintained F225 or F250. Make sure you are aware of the exhaust corrosion issue with some years on the F225. I have heard it has occurred on some F250s, but not positive of that.

Brian

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I can only give some advise so...
Start with '98 and newer Sailfish (full running bottom and no issues with 4 stroke weight).
I think in '00 the Sailfish had a facelift and is more "wife friendly" and should be in your price range.
AC is an option but you need a generator (you're used to that anyway).
If you're full of gas and gear, plan on a 10K pound capacity trailer.
It's oversize with the 9.5 beam, some places don't care some will twist your horns. I towed mine across town but wouldn't want to across the state.

I'm not sure you can get a 305 with your budget but some Marlins should fit, it's a Sailfish on steroids and you can get a genset built in. Towing a 30' boat with a 10.5 beam will have some drama.

Just about any modern 4 stroke SHOULD last at least 2000 hours, but like anything treat it like garbage and it'll turn into garbage.

dale1

Reaction score
Ok. Thanks. Do any of the hulls or transforms have wood inner structor?
I read last night for a couple hours on "the hull truth " A lot of comments about the 28 and 30 footer needing at least 250 hp motors? Any comments on that welcome. I can't mess this up:). To much money at stake:)

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes, GW uses wood stringers but they are sealed and warrantied. THT has some loud anti-GW folks so beware of the bias. I owned a 272 and now a 300. Excellent boats. The 300 is larger, rides better, but costs more. I have F225s which push it to a 28kt cruise with ease. The F250s add 2-4 kts to that.

I love my Marlin and would buy another without hesitation.

EDIT: You asked about the 305. It is the same hull as the 300. The layout is more family oriented with more seating at the helm. The tradeoff is less cockpit space. They also cost around 20K more when new. I prefer the 300 layout but YMMV.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a great (lift kept) 2000 sailfish being brokered at Taylor Marine Center in Ocean City, MD. Great boat! I moved up to a 330 express but still love my sailfish! Great fishing boat, plenty of range and can handle just about anything you can throw at her! http://www.taylormarinecenter.com/index ... ne&id=6825 Happy to answer any questions if you PM me.

dale1

Reaction score
Ok. Thanks.
What year did they come with the fold up rear deck seat?
Also. I wonder why the express costs more than the marlin?

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Express is 33 feet and marlin is 30. A lot more boat just like marlin is a lot more boat over sailfish. More fuel burn though cause it is heavier. No idea on folding seat.

dale1

Reaction score
OK, thanks. I see there are alot more Marlins for sale also?

Does anyone trailer a Marlin very much. I go to the gulf coast or east coast from Dublin Georgia reqularly. about 10 to 15 times a year pulling a 24' walkaround now. About 6k per year. I'm used to it, but i'm concerned about trailering a 30 footer. any comments or advice welcome.

thanks
dale

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
10.7 beam on 305 vs. 9.5 beam on 27. I believe you need permits and a heavy truck that can handle the weight.

capeguy

Reaction score
Hi Dale,
I have an '06 Sailfish 282 with T225 Yamis. This is my 3rd season. I use the boat for combination of family, lobstering, fishing around south shore of boston and cape cod.

I believe the 282 is 8,000lbs + and has a 9'6" beam making her a wide load and very heavy to trailer. I do not.

The 225 Yamis are great for this boat. I cruise at around 3900 rpm, 29mph, get 1.4-1.6 mpg depending on sea conditions and load. WOT I hit 40mph. This is not a speed boat, if you are looking for top end, this is not the boat. I have no need for more HP.

This boat has a GREAT ride. It handles 3' seas easily and I have come home from PTown in 6-8' seas and felt relatively comfortable. It loves a head sea.

The '06 has the fold down bench seat, it may have been new on the '05, not sure. It makes a huge difference. Huge fishbox at the transom, plus a bench when needed. But folds up out of the way.

I doubt you can get an '06 or newer for $75K unless the engines have high hours...

One thing to know is the '06 282 had issues with the adhesive used on the headliner in the cabin. The headliner can crack when temperature changes, such as in a new England winter. GW has been great and repaired it 2X, this year will be the third... My understanding is it is ONLY the '06 282 that had this problem.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I trailer my Sailfish twice a year; to launch in the Spring and haul in the Fall. I only go about 9-miles and I'm pulling it with a 3/4 ton Chevy PU with gas engine. I wouldn't want to trailer it any further.

dale1

Reaction score
OK, thanks. you guys are scaring the heck out of me.

I went to look at a 305 Marlin. Wow, that's a big boat. I dont know if im comforatable trailering that 6 thousand miles a year. I guess I could leave it at the coast if I figure out a plan for that.

next question. Ive noticed the 2 stroke motor boats are conciderably less. as much as 20 grand for the same year boat.

1. Are the four strokes that much better?
2. does anyone here trailer a 28 or 27 footer regularly. watched a guy trailer a 25' grady this weekend without any drama.

thanks again,
dale

smattparker

Reaction score
I'll put my 2 cents in...I purchased my 01 282 back in early spring and have fished and played hard in it the last three months. I have 200hpdi's, 400 hrs when purchased, around 500 now. I cruise at 28mph and get 1.4 to 1.9 mpg depending on conditions, WOT is around 45 mph with 100 gallons, tackle, wife and two tax deductions. I've always owned and fished center consoles (except a turd I bought mainly to flip (2005 Sea Boss WAC)) and I thought I'd be disappointed after the wife insisted that if we purchased a larger boat it had to have a cabin. I was pleasantly surprised. I couldn't be happier and I have no complaints with the 282. It isn't near as fast or quiet as smooth of a ride as my buddies 29 Sea Vee, but on an all day offshore trip I'd take the Sailfish any day. Too many creature comforts to list. I like being able to go 75+ miles offshore, catch fish, not get wet, use facilities, and take a nap after I land a few big fish. I trailer my boat with a 2012 Tundra small v8 (4.6L). I live less than one mile from a gas station and only 1.5 miles from a boat launch. While I wouldn't advocate a long interstate haul, my 2wd small v8 Tundra has absolutely no problem trailering or pulling out the Sailfish. Its a great all-a-around boat and is the perfect for a small family who likes to fish offshore. My first Grady and I no plans of selling anytime soon. Good luck on your quest!

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My sailfish is for sale as I posted. It has 2000 225 2 stroke OX66. Great engines and easy to work on. Take care of them and they will take care of you. If money isn't a problem, buy new and get 4 strokes. However, if you we're to buy my Sailfish, you would get a lot of boat for the money. The 2 strokes are lighter and provide more power overall. Fuel burn isnt bad either although you do need to add oil. 4 strokes are nice but some of the older F series (2005 and earlier) have had corrosion issues - see recent Boat U.S article (http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2012/oct ... laints.asp) I currently own a 2006 express with twin 250 4 strokes. The engines are nice and quieter at idle but the OX66s were and are good engines and never had any major problems.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My sailfish is for sale as I posted. It has 2000 225 2 stroke OX66. Great engines and easy to work on. Take care of them and they will take care of you. If money isn't a problem, buy new and get 4 strokes. However, if you we're to buy my Sailfish, you would get a lot of boat for the money. The 2 strokes are lighter and provide more power overall. Fuel burn isnt bad either although you do need to add oil. 4 strokes are nice but some of the older F series (2005 and earlier) have had corrosion issues - see recent Boat U.S article (http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2012/oct ... laints.asp) I currently own a 2006 express with twin 250 4 strokes. The engines are nice and quieter at idle but the OX66s were and are good engines and never had any major problems.

TCinVA

Reaction score
I wanted to chime in on the towing aspect, I don't have any experience owning that big of a boat. I have towed both boats and my rock crawler on a heavy car trailer for many thousands of miles, and I wouldn't want to tow anything over 8'6" beam. Also, the weight you are considering towing would need a strong truck. I have a 1 ton diesel dually Dodge, and I'm glad to have it just towing my 20' Overnighter. Pulling isn't the problem, stopping is. The first time you have to make a panic stop with a heavy load behind you, your perspective will change on what an acceptable trailer load is. Anywhere near the max tow rating of a vehicle is okay for occasional tows, but 6,000 miles a year I would want to be well under (like 50-75%) of a tow rating to be able to drive on a road trip in a relaxed and safe manner.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Think we have a bit of confusion. I believe the 305 is an express cruiser vs the 30' Marlin which is a walk around. Big difference in cabin space. If you and the wife are smaller the express will be fine. My wife and I are tallish and need the extra head room. ALSO, it is my HO that the Sailfish or Marlin WA are safer boats. My wife will not walk out on the deck of an express to handle lines. Yea, she did it 15-years ago but says she's not as nible.The 30' Marlin with 250 OX66's is a gas hog. Couple threads here confirm that. The Sailfish is a bit better with the 225 OX66's. gradywhite28 just moved up to a 305 Express from a Sailfish. He wouild be the one to give you a good opinion Be nice if he spotted this thread or you might want to just PM him. Great poster and I'm sure he'll help.

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have owned a 2006 282 with twin 225 4 strokes for 3 years now and I tow it twice a year about 175 miles each way. First I will say the boat is great and seems to be better than most her size on fuel. In my 3rd year now and once you learn the hull you should not get wet and feel very safe. The room down below is pretty good. She is a great boat for the family I have an 8 and 10 year old and the cabin is a great place for them to seek shelter. The head has enough room for me and is a huge plus. Having the enclosure is great for extending the season and heading out in rough weather. I do love the boat for my current situation.

DO WATCH THE CORROSION ISSUE and ASSUME 06 and old you will have it (Go by engine MFG Date) and if the overhaul has not been done take it off the price. I have to repair mine this year still under YES warranty so very lucky.

You can get one my year for around your budget with low hours I did 3 years ago with 165 hours on motors.

Now to towing her. First she is oversized and if you tow her without the proper permit and get in an accident insurance will not cover you. Next she is heavy and with trailer and fully loaded can top out almost at well over 11k almost 12k. The poster who mentioned stopping was right on and she should not be pulled with to small of a vehicle. I use an F350 PowerStroke and you know she is back there. Also the height with the radar up is a big issue, I have remounted mine on a fold down mount. I am right around 13' 9". I have a triple axle trailer too and it is rate for 12,500. Going across the Sagamore Bridge in MA I have to take both lanes and on back roads it can be hairy. The other drivers on the road will be your nemesis. I don't mean to scare you but if you do plan to haul her get the right truck and you will eventually get used to it plan for a few white knuckle trips.

Happy to answer any other questions.