Advice on a 282 Sailfish

used2sail

Reaction score
Good evening, thanks to the moderators for adding me to the group. My wife and I are looking for a boat that we can use in the ocean around our New Hampshire home. Id estimate that we are looking to use the boat 50% for cruising and exploring the coast and the other half for fishing. We looked at a 2006 282 sailfish today and we both liked it and are considering an offer on the boat. If we do purchase this boat we'd be keeping it at a slip at the selling marina and travelling there to use the boat. We are hoping to be able to overnight on the boat as the marina has shower/laundry facilities ashore and the salesman says that there are many others that stay aboard during the summer months. Is this realistic, its a small cabin but it seems doable as its just the 2 of us and we have the mid berth for stowage? Its a 2 hour drive from our home to the coast and being able to stay on the boat is really going to be what makes this work for us. id like to get some feedback from folks who own these boats and have some experience staying overnight aboard the boat.

also any input on things to look out for on this model. I gave the boat a good going over and she seems solid. I am planning on a survey if it gets that far. The boat has yamaha 225's for power with less than 200 hours. The story goes that the owner had 2 boats and this one was on a mooring while the other was at his dock and this one got little use. Allegedly the marinas master yamaha guy has gone over the engines and pronounced them healthy. I asked about the exhaust and the sales guy is going to check and see if they were scoped. What else should i be looking for??

Peterb21

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a 2003 Sailfish with twin 225 yamaha's. I have a slip in Plymouth MA and love the boat. I purchased it in 2020 from an original owner and the engines had 750 hours on them. I love that i have never felt unsafe on the boat. It is very solid and is great for a combination of cruising and fishing. I am tall so staying on the boat for multiple weekends would be tough for me. I personally would tend to look at the Marlin to get more room if i stayed on it a lot.

Air conditioning is a big plus as it can get stuffy in the cabin at night. I would also assume you have shore power and an inverter. Other than that i love the boat and its great for me. I can head offshore 30 miles without any worry.

Good luck. 200 hours on those yamaha's is a big plus.

Reactions: used2sail

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Have the thermostat housings checked for corrosion. That issue is just, if not more common than the exhaust, but is often overlooked. The fact that it was a moored boat would really make me want to see what they look like.

Reactions: efx and used2sail

Fishtales

Reaction score
I agree solid boat. Definitely survey the boat and look for water intrusion. That is prob the biggest thing. I had a 2002 Sailfish.
The cabin is on the small side but you can make it work for 2. Helm area is a bit tight if you have 2 chairs. Nate sure you sit in the companion seat if equipped. You may find it a tad low to see out the windshield. Other than that, very nice boat.

Reactions: used2sail

used2sail

Reaction score
There's No A/C on this boat hopefully its not too stuffy, There is shore power; I didn't see an Inverter but i didn't ask if there was one i only saw a battery charger behind the battery switch.

Thanks for the heads up n the thermostat housings, I'll be sure to have those checked out.

This boat has the 2 Pompanette helm seats. the 2006 brochure shows them as an optional seat. they are pretty comfy but the do make for a narrow passage between the seats. They seem to be very comfortable and adjust several different ways. I'm definitely planning on a survey and water in the hull especially the transom is what I'm most concerned with.

seasick

Reaction score
My first question is: Do you have previous boat ownership experience?
Don't take this the wrong way but if new at the game you may not see things you need to see. A thorough survey as you plan is most important. I would not rely on an engine status report from a mechanic at the marina where the boat was kept and probably serviced. You need an independent mechanical inspection. Having n experienced boating friend tag along can be helpful
Your survey should include a hull inspection for moisture and that means the boat will have to be hauled out, most likely at your expense. You need a sea trial also by the surveyor assuming you don't have a lot of experience with the type of boat
200 hours is low usage and often too little usage is worse than high hours. Boats and motors don't like to sit without use.
When you look at the boat, if you can, try out the aft berth to see if you and your spouse would be able to use it for an overnight. For simple short duration trips, it may be easier to use the aft berth instead of the V berth. No reconfigurations to do and you have more room forward for all your stuff.

Don't forget to factor in things that might need updating. Electronics like chart plotters become obsolete quickly these days and those things are expensive to replace. Same goes for upholstery, drop curtains, cushions, etc.
Whatever you think something marine should cost, triple that number:)

Good luck.

used2sail

Reaction score
I do have previous boating experience, but virtually all my small boat experience is fresh water on smaller boats both wood and fiberglass hulls. My saltwater experience is mostly commercial steel hulls, I’m a retired container ship chief engineer although I do have some recreational ocean time from way back. There’s not much correlation between a 50,000 ton ship and a 28 foot grady though so that’s why I’m seeking input.
I’m in agreement that the low hours might be too low and actually would like some input on what problems might manifest from lack of use.

the boat is presently out of the water , I crawled all over it and under it yesterday.
If this moves forward I’ll attempt to get the surveyor aboard for the sea trial
The electronics are all raymarine, there’s a hybrid touch e series 12” MFD and an HD color radar and it seems those were introduced around 2012 so they are more recent than the boat, I have no idea exactly when they were installed. Upholstery and curtains will be cleaned by the selling marina and seem to be in good condition with the exception of the curtains in the head which are quite nasty

seasick

Reaction score
I am a bit humbled by my poor assumption. Your previous profession as chief engineer is a big advantage.
Yes this is a different boat ( by far) form both the commercial vessel and your lake boat but that is why a professional survey is advised. He or she should have hands on experience with similar models and should know what issues to look for on your model.
You did use the term 'selling marina' and again if that means that the marina is acting as a broker, I would not use a mechanic or surveyor recommended by the marina. There can be conflict of interest issues.
As to lack of use, the low hours could be really low usage every year or no usage for longer periods which can be a lot more detrimental. Even worse is the situation where a boat is not used and not routinely maintained because it had so little hours put on it. The two issues that I think are important is moisture/water in things where it shouldn't be like filters, lower units, VST tank, etc. and contaminated fuel that gets gunk or sediments that can clog up the systems over time. It wouldn't hurt to ask the marina if the motors were serviced per the recommended schedule. ( remember, if the marina is a broker, it can not by law lie about facts and they would know that. So don't hesitate by asking them a lot of 'general' questions about history they are aware of, maintenance records and the like. " The motors have very little hours on them. Was the boat not used for extended periods of time?"

The same approach goes for the hull and components. Long periods of no use could mean long periods in the weather or long periods on land while covered (like shrink wrapped). The summer sun cab really bake a boat if covered. Likewise, condensation can accelerate corrosion of electrical connections and things like fuse, breaker and switch panels. Tank sensors, pumps, physical hardware can all get gummed up over times of no use. Seacocks can freeze up.
If you haven't done so, go to Grady White Archived User Manuals. Find your year and model and print out a copy of the owners manual. It will help you make a list of all the systems that you probably want to check

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sounds like you're pretty squared away on what you'd like and what you need to do to get there, hiring a surveyor is something I always recommend to any potential boat buyer and having the Yamaha's scoped is also a necessity. Less than 200 hours is next to nothing for a 16 year old boat, of which I'd make sure everything on the motors gets double checked, a sea trial run with the surveyor and so forth to make sure you're getting the boat in the condition advertised. Sounds like you've already possibly got a surveyor but if you don't here are two nationally accredited marine surveyor websites so you can find one nearby. I've only got a 228 Seafarer, so I can't really give you any input on the boat itself other that the obvious and what the marine surveyor should be able to show you. My neighbor has a 270 Islander that seems like it would have more than enough room for 2 people and minimal gear to overnight in, thought I guess part of it would depend on your stature and how much stuff you bring with you.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a 04 Saifish and love the boat. t is very versatile for cruising and or fishing. Mine came with twin 225 and they were flawless for 12 years until they weren't. Be very certain that the exhaust has been replaced. There are many low hour 225 'st hat have experienced engine failure due to the corrosion getting into the power head. Sleeping in the cabin is pretty comfortable. My overnight experience is generally 2 or 3 days trips. Good luck with the survey if you move ahead with the purchase.

used2sail

Reaction score
You did use the term 'selling marina' and again if that means that the marina is acting as a broker, I would not use a mechanic or surveyor recommended by the marina. There can be conflict of interest issues.
the marina that is selling this boat took it in on trade. They were the original selling dealer for the boat but I’m told that a different marina did the maintenance for the owner as he resided a bit further up the coast. I asked and there is no ownership relationship between the 2 marinas but the salesman said they do have a good business relationship with them. The story I’m told is the original owner had this boat at a mooring in front of his home but also had another boat at a dock. The boat at the dock got most of the use and this one got hauled and stored every fall and serviced then broken back out in the spring and went back on the mooring .
The same approach goes for the hull and components. Long periods of no use could mean long periods in the weather or long periods on land while covered (like shrink wrapped). The summer sun cab really bake a boat if covered. Likewise, condensation can accelerate corrosion of electrical connections and things like fuse, breaker and switch panels. Tank sensors, pumps, physical hardware can all get gummed up over times of no use. Seacocks can freeze up.

the enclosure appears newish, it’s in great shape and isn’t faded, the eisenglass is all very clear and doesn’t look like it’s been baked , the arm rests on the helm chairs are a bit weathered and could use replacing down the road but arent too bad. The rest of the upholstery on deck looks good, the cushions for the top of the cabin on the foredeck look as new. The cabin upholstery looks good too, a bit of mildew in spots but the dealer is committing to cleaning that before delivery. The fiberglas headliner in the cabin on the forward end that wraps around from port to starboard is cracked in a couple places. The sales man told me that was common in our area and stems from the cold winters causing the hull to shrink and crack the headliner. He has committed to repairing that and covering the piece with some material to give a nice appearance. There’s a couple Small things that need tending to, broken plastic hinge on the electronics box, missing hinge pins on the toilet paper door. I didn’t get into testing all the systems like the wash down , bilge, livewell, no freshwater pumps as she was out of the water and I felt that was what I’d be paying a surveyor to do. I’ve seen neglected boat in the past and this one didn’t seem neglected it just didn’t get used much for some reason,

Last edited:

used2sail

Reaction score
Sounds like you're pretty squared away on what you'd like and what you need to do to get there, hiring a surveyor is something I always recommend to any potential boat buyer and having the Yamaha's scoped is also a necessity. Less than 200 hours is next to nothing for a 16 year old boat, of which I'd make sure everything on the motors gets double checked, a sea trial run with the surveyor and so forth to make sure you're getting the boat in the condition advertised. Sounds like you've already possibly got a surveyor but if you don't here are two nationally accredited marine surveyor websites so you can find one nearby. I've only got a 228 Seafarer, so I can't really give you any input on the boat itself other that the obvious and what the marine surveyor should be able to show you. My neighbor has a 270 Islander that seems like it would have more than enough room for 2 people and minimal gear to overnight in, thought I guess part of it would depend on your stature and how much stuff you bring with you.

Thanks for the links to the surveyors, there one right down the road from where the boat is that looks like a good fit. I’ll definitely look to get the engines scoped and confirm the status of the exhaust, I don’t think the thermostat housings can be scoped but I’ll ask that they get checked.

as far as us fitting on the boat I think we are gonna be fine, id love to hear from folks that have done it regularly to see what their experience has been and any tips they might offer.

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ok, so here goes, 2002 282, same power, 2100 hours. I sleep on mine a few times a season, usually with my son, occasionally with a fishing buddy. We did a family of 4 a couple of times when the kids were really really little, not possible any longer. I am on the Chesapeake, it gets hot as hades in there, but I doubt you have that issue so far north. There's really only be a couple of times its been an issue, and under the fan it's a delight, it's whoever sleeps in the mid-birth that gets the shaft. I have the caframo taku fan and it blows the cabin out in minutes. Mounts to the underside of the escape hatch, plugs into cigarette lighter, that I've replaced btw. It's pricey but I've had mine for years. Make sure you have the screen or at-least the screen frame for the hatch, it can get buggy.

In terms of comfort, I cut a piece of foam rubber into a triangle for the V-birth, those cushions are absolute stone, you'll need something. Pack light, it's definitely doable, but be smart about what you bring. I put a lot of our junk up on the dash when we are tied up for the night and arrange the cabin for sleeping.

I think the other items have been addressed.

used2sail

Reaction score
Ok, so here goes, 2002 282, same power, 2100 hours. I sleep on mine a few times a season, usually with my son, occasionally with a fishing buddy. We did a family of 4 a couple of times when the kids were really really little, not possible any longer. I am on the Chesapeake, it gets hot as hades in there, but I doubt you have that issue so far north. There's really only be a couple of times its been an issue, and under the fan it's a delight, it's whoever sleeps in the mid-birth that gets the shaft. I have the caframo taku fan and it blows the cabin out in minutes. Mounts to the underside of the escape hatch, plugs into cigarette lighter, that I've replaced btw. It's pricey but I've had mine for years. Make sure you have the screen or at-least the screen frame for the hatch, it can get buggy.

In terms of comfort, I cut a piece of foam rubber into a triangle for the V-birth, those cushions are absolute stone, you'll need something. Pack light, it's definitely doable, but be smart about what you bring. I put a lot of our junk up on the dash when we are tied up for the night and arrange the cabin for sleeping.

I think the other items have been addressed.
Thanks for the information on the fan to ventilate the cabin and the heads up on the cushions. Its nice to hear you've gotten the number of hours on your 225 Yamaha's , any secret to your longevity??

I think i've hammered out the deal on the boat, pending sea trial and a survey we are moving forward !!

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
So I have a 2008 282 Sailfish that I bought this year. Love the boat, its been great and I feel VERY comfortable on it in the ocean. I bought the boat for fishing and some day trips or sandbars, and it is built for that! The cruising part, maybe not so much. I noticed you only received one or two comments from members who have actually slept on this boat - could be an indication that it's not the primary objective of this boat! I grew up on cruisers, that were built for comfort and sleeping, and that is not this boat. It can do it (if you're not too tall), but it's really a fishing a boat with a place to take a nap.

When I found my boat, it was (almost) love at first sight. Solid, clean, nice engines, medium hours and obviously taken care of. I've put on 100 hours so far this yar, and plan to add many more in the fall fshing season, and have enjoyed every minute. But it is a fishing boat, not a cruiser. If you want a crusier, buy a cruiser. I grew up on cruisers, from 24 - 36 feet, and they were very different from the foot print of the Grady (bigger cabin, more seating, better galley and they always had heat!).

Just my opinion, and I hope you find the perfect match for what you're looking for!

used2sail

Reaction score
I bought the boat for fishing and some day trips or sandbars, and it is built for that! The cruising part, maybe not so much. I noticed you only received one or two comments from members who have actually slept on this boat - could be an indication that it's not the primary objective of this boat
this is why I’m asking about overnighting on this boat, I’m going to fish this boat a good bit and a cruiser with blood and bait in the carpet isn’t going to work either. It’s obviously a small cabin so I’m wondering how useful it is when 2 adults attempt to stay aboard. I’m not sure exactly how often we will be staying aboard but it’s likely to happen as it’s a 2 hour ride home from the coast to our home and sometimes we just aren’t going to want to make that ride especially if we plan to go out the following day. . I’m Glad to hear you like your boat I’m sure we will enjoy it too should we buy this one we’ve been looking at.

I’m going through old threads on the exhaust corrosion issues on the F225’s does anyone have anything to offer on this ? I’m seeing that scoping the exhaust isn’t a 100% guarantee that there’s not a problem.

Zebulon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If no record of exhausts being done assume the kits are needed and reflect that in your offer price. Don't even bother scoping them. ASAP after purchase go to a reputable Yami Cert mechanic and have them done. I did this with my 2005's with 480 hrs that ran like a top on sea trial and one motor needed the kit and other didn't but both were done for piece of mind. Basically for free.

used2sail

Reaction score
If no record of exhausts being done assume the kits are needed and reflect that in your offer price. Don't even bother scoping them. ASAP after purchase go to a reputable Yami Cert mechanic and have them done. I did this with my 2005's with 480 hrs that ran like a top on sea trial and one motor needed the kit and other didn't but both were done for piece of mind. Basically for free.

I’m kind of stuck using the marina where the boat is being sold, there’s no trailer and even if there was my 1/2 ton truck wouldn’t get very far with this boat. I asked the sales guy and he basically told me not to worry that with such low hours there wouldn’t be a problem. I’ve already contacted a surveyor and asked that the engines get looked at, hopefully he has a guy who is willing to do the inspection at the marina. I’ll discuss the corrosion issue with the salesman and surveyor on Monday.

Peterb21

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I’m kind of stuck using the marina where the boat is being sold, there’s no trailer and even if there was my 1/2 ton truck wouldn’t get very far with this boat. I asked the sales guy and he basically told me not to worry that with such low hours there wouldn’t be a problem. I’ve already contacted a surveyor and asked that the engines get looked at, hopefully he has a guy who is willing to do the inspection at the marina. I’ll discuss the corrosion issue with the salesman and surveyor on Monday.
It certainly sounds like you are doing a lot of due diligence here. Get the survey done and scope the engines and and close the deal! I'm not sure if its already been said, but if you have the thermostat housings checked for corrosion, have them replace the thermostats while they are in there. They have to take a bit of parts off to inspect them so it makes sense while you are in there to have it done.

I had mine done at the servicing dealer of the previous owner. They are a highly reputable dealer in CT so i was comfortable with them doing the work. Here is the work order for both engines. It was worth every penny to know what i was getting. All the tests came out good and the thermostat housings were in good shape except for the frozen bolt which they were able to replace.

Good Luck!

1666444492265.png

seasick

Reaction score
Typo on my part. Should have said..
Personally, I would be leery about 2006 225s.

Last edited: