Advice on raising scuppers?

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Holokai, that's really an entirely different setup given there is no hose. I assume what you have there is similar to lobster-style boats I'm familiar with in Maine. It's basically just a hole in the side of the boat. The water "deflector" is different too - it's really just a deflector, right? Meaning, there's no "grate" to trap foreign material (leaves, etc)?

Correct. It’s just a clamshell facing aft to prevent scooping water while underway. It also acts as a sort of Venturi as well which helps to “pull” water out.

I’ve been contemplating how to redo the scuppers and delete the hoses though I’m not sure that would work with the way the hull is constructed (too much stress on a rigid tunnel/drain vs the hoses due to the deck and transom being separate pieces).

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
First and foremost, I very much applaud your inititiative.

A couple of concerns that pop into my head, though...

-- With them mounted on the side and so close to the floor level, you run the possibility of water being forced INTO the scuppers as you're underway and flooding the cockpit.

I had scuppers just like this design exiting the side of the boat vs the transom on my Pro-Line for 5 years. They work better in my opinion. I used to make fun of the Grady guys getting their feet wet when my deck was dry. (height was the issue there) but not much water gets in from slapping waves, no more than gets in your fishbox and front scupper holes. Only when trolling in a certain wave condition.

Fishtales

Reaction score
The older GWs have the brass tube drains that go out the transom and really can't be raised. The side drains on the newer hulls have water drain thru the flat cockpit floor, down a 1 1/2" hose to a thru hull on the sides or transom of the boat. The latter is what is being raised a bit (still needs to be lower than the deck).

The problem with the scuppers in the water is that if that hose is compromised (and they dry rot over time), water will come into the bilge and you may not recognize it until you have a situation on your hands. To the degree you can get them out of the water, you have a better chance of dealing with a compromised hose.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
On my 226 the scupper drains (4) are ever so slightly below my deck and have a little taper in the deck right in front of them. Obviously they can not be raised, so the type you are referring to probably are farther forward from the transom and have hoses running to the back scuppers. Picture is pre restoration.

View attachment 17263
Sir Grady,
Yes that makes sense. I have the 2 rear jump seats, so I had a bit of room. I replaced the hoses when I raised the scuppers. I think they were about 28" long as far as my memory recalls.

Reactions: SirGrady226

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I really like this thread DanF started. Safety is our number one concern, and I enjoy hearing other people's views.
So thank you Dan!

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
A lot of boats here have side-mounted drains; many also have a modified clamshell cover as shown in the picture that help with the backflow. Force boats are made locally and designed for rough water; I can confirm the design drains water fast enough to keep fishing on small craft advisory days. It should be noted that the construction of the hull is different and the scuppers are just cutouts in the hull whereas our Gradys have the hose/fittings so the same diameter scupper on a Force will drain faster.
I should have made it clear that I was referring to the OPs side mounted deck drains (self bailing) and not other types of drains. Mt small Grady has side mounted gravity fed drains for the helm are and they are low to the water line. The difference is that those drains down get lower when the aft squats, they get higher.
I do see your point and am still interested in how the OP solution works out.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Fishtales, I have a 2006 Adventure (Garage stored) All the through hull hoses look great from the hoses exterior. Apart from wrestling them off to possible inspect the inside of the hose, Is there a degrading over time window, or any way of doing a test without removal? Thanks

Fishtales

Reaction score
Fishtales, I have a 2006 Adventure (Garage stored) All the through hull hoses look great from the hoses exterior. Apart from wrestling them off to possible inspect the inside of the hose, Is there a degrading over time window, or any way of doing a test without removal? Thanks

I'm in the same date range. I check spots in the boat (squeeze the hose and look for any weakness or crumbling). Maybe a scope camera pushed through the hull thru holes? I'd say at 18-20 years you need to replace.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It is done, that's the white sanitary hose in the second pic.

For anyone doing this, after doing 4 of these, I found the easiest way is to loosen the white flange nut under the deck, and unscrew the topside drain from the elbow. I used a large file in the 2 grooves on top, and once it started moving, it was not difficult.
Once that is disconnected, try to pull the hose off the transom thru hull. If it won't budge, remove the phillips head screw holding the flapper in place(Don't lose the hard rubber piece that the screw goes thru), Use a heat gun, or your wife's hairdryer, thru the transom thru hull for about 20-30 seconds, and it should slide off.
Reinstall in reverse, except, go ahead and screw the elbow tightly onto the deck drain, and twist it towards the hullside. That will let you get the edge of the hose barb into the hose, and as you twist the elbow into the proper line, the hose should slide on.

Fishtales

Reaction score
It's the access to some of them that has me concerned.

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You might think that hose is about to fall apart, until you try to wrestle it off.View attachment 17305
Nice to see your fittings are trimmed off. I just pulled mine to get new hoses and the deck drain fitting is almost 3 inches long! This meant that the elbow was lower than the thruhull at the back! I'll be trimming things up to look like this photo. Still going to look get the newer elbows that are once piece.

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Anyone know what size and type hose is needed for the scupper hoses on an Adventure 208?
TIA, Jeff

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Indeed Fishtales, reminds me of the 1986 fuel hose I replaced last summer.

View attachment 17359
I see your fuel hose and raise you one that is flowering. ;)
81F26263-8858-4B67-8D99-D188CC175BF0.jpeg
When I did my tank I found this first and found also the others weren’t to pretty either. It’s kinda out of sight out of mind so when something comes up and has you looking it can be quite sobering.
New Marine grade hoses aren’t cheap and I can tell you it was a royal PITA to swap them out.
I envy those guys with big boats that can just go down below and easily reach anything they need to get to. I scraped the hell out of my hands arms and back reaching the connections and had to be creative using tool extensions to reach and tighten hose clamps especially for the upper fuel fill.

DanF

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I want to report back on this project.

The new through hulls work beautifully. They are slightly below the cockpit floor yet 1-2 inches above the waterline fully fueled. I moved them up 3" hole center to hole center but in hindsight 2" probably would have been adequate. Accelerating, turning, reversing, etc. - water cannot be forced "uphill" into the cockpit via the through hulls. My impression is that the cockpit drains slightly slower than before but the difference is difficult to notice. I eliminated the livewell hole in the bottom of the bilge (I never used my livewell) so there are now no holes below the waterline.

Why bother? My boat sits in the water 6 months a year so this project brought me peace of mind that she won't sink while unattended due to a failed hose. The old hoses - probably original - dissolved in my hands when I removed them. If you trailer your boat this may be less of a concern. The work wasn't difficult and everything is easily accessible (for a boat).

Attachments

• finished thru hull.jpg
    finished thru hull.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 12

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
When they start looking like this 20 year old hose.View attachment 17301
My 20 year old original hoses were like that. They have steel wire that rusted...rubber is toast.
If you are reading this and you have a 20 year old boat, you need to change those hoses and probably the fuel fill hoses

Reactions: PNW_Drifter