Advice on selling my GW

seasick

Reaction score
Personally, when I see a well detailed older boat for sale, it makes me nervous. That's because the detailing can cover up/hide things that they don't want you to see. A clean boat with the expected wear and tear is a much better indicator of condition and how it was treated.

CosbyLAX

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Where is the boat located…. And do you know what you might be asking for it?
Seasick was correct... VA. I really haven't done much research other than look at similar boats on BT.com. From that $120k + or - a few k. I'd probably pay to get an appraisal or survey. It's completely loaded, the only thing I had to add was Lewmar V700.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Personally, when I see a well detailed older boat for sale, it makes me nervous. That's because the detailing can cover up/hide things that they don't want you to see. A clean boat with the expected wear and tear is a much better indicator of condition and how it was treated.
I mostly & respectfully disagree with this assertion.

IMO.. if an older boat was neglected, it will show even after a good detailing. One thing I would watch out for is "fresh" paint that was slapped on to cover up rust, corrosion, etc. Further, maintenance & service records are an important aspect. Anyone who maintains their boat will have the records and receipts.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It's funny because awhile back I was having this same conversation with a buddy about boats and he's one of those guys to where he wants the boat to basically look impeccable, or else he won't buy it. Myself on the other hand, it depends on the price, the actual condition and a handful or two of other things to determine if the boat is right for me. Most people around here don't have covered mooring or storage, so their boats are exposed to the weather, elements and so forth almost all year. I'd rather see a boat with normal wear and tear on it that needs a couple hours of cleaning and elbow grease to make it look great again, as that's usually a better indicator imo that the boat has been used, not just sitting for years. Boats that have sat for years and years, especially around here, are about the worst thing that you can do for a boat. If you have any experience with boats, you can generally tell the overall condition pretty quickly and if the owner is being honest and forthright with you. I will say this, that having dealt with boats and old cars over the years that when I see one looking like it's impeccable, I'll generally ask myself the questions of "what's wrong with it?" or "what is the owner trying to hide?" Just my thoughts and opinions on the matter of course, I personally don't usually have my boat looking like it did off the showroom floor because at the end of the day, it's a fishing boat and is going to get dirty. I definitely don't neglect it or mistreat the boat, but I'm not going to spend hours cleaning and detailing the boat to then have her sit out on my mooring buoy all summer long with the seagulls crapping on it and so forth.

seasick

Reaction score
In actuality, we don't completely disagree. Fresh paint includes brand new bottom paint that look's great until yo see all the chipouts and gouges that were painted over. Serious mold that has deeply penetrated the upholstery can be 'bleached' out and look decent for a while.
Hull gouges and cracks can be patched so as to look good but if done incorrectly, will fail over time or worse yet, will not show the extent of damage.
Eisenglass is another area that be made to look good but only for a while. If the UV coating is gone, the 'glass' will cloud up. There is no cure for eisenglass that has had the UV coating polished off. Canvass is a bit tougher to hide age and wear but I suppose there are products that will make it look good but for how long.
I agree that maintenance logs are a good thing to have but they don't tell the full story. As I have said many times before, if an owner neglected or abused the boat, he or she probably neglected the motor (s) too. I like to see normal wear and tear as well as the inevitable signs of use.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
My line of thinking is that if a boat was neglected, no amount of spit & polish is going to bring it back and the neglect will show and be evident on close inspection.

I use my boat for pleasure, fish my boat, lobster with it, etc., etc., etc. BUT... I take really great care of it. Care = all engine maintenance per the Yamaha schedule, always run Yamalube additives, always flush the motors, never use cleaning products meant for the home (e.g. bleach, scouring powders, etc.), detail regularly, shrink wrap during the winter, etc., etc. I see boats that aren't well maintained and it shows even after an attempt at reconditioning.

Just my $00.02.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My line of thinking is that if a boat was neglected, no amount of spit & polish is going to bring it back and the neglect will show and be evident on close inspection.

I use my boat for pleasure, fish my boat, lobster with it, etc., etc., etc. BUT... I take really great care of it. Care = all engine maintenance per the Yamaha schedule, always run Yamalube additives, always flush the motors, never use cleaning products meant for the home (e.g. bleach, scouring powders, etc.), detail regularly, shrink wrap during the winter, etc., etc. I see boats that aren't well maintained and it shows even after an attempt at reconditioning.

Just my $00.02.
Depends on the level of neglect. It's imo near impossible to hide damage that's done to the boat such as fiberglass repair work and so forth. But if it's just the boat being dirty, then that's something to where it can be cleaned up with a multitude of different products out there for sale. Also, it depends on how much of a deep dive a potential buyer or inspector wanted to take on looking at the boat. Sellers will say just about anything to try and sell their boat, some items of which could be difficult to dispute without tearing apart the motor, etc. I forget which member it was, maybe saltyone, but he said that the previous owner mentioned he had just reconditioned the trailer before he bought it. Come to find out, the brakes and everything were completely falling apart and to where it looked like it shouldn't have been able to stop the boat/trailer for any sort of stop. Fishermen/boaters are very much "tellers of tall tales" with fishing, and especially with regards to everything they claim to have done to their boats. I tend to take what they say with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saltyone

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I found the thread and it was saltyone who found the issues on his trailer.

Reactions: Saltyone

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
IMO.. if an older boat was neglected, it will show even after a good detailing. One thing I would watch out for is "fresh" paint that was slapped on to cover up rust, corrosion, etc. Further, maintenance & service records are an important aspect. Anyone who maintains their boat will have the records and receipts
Respectfully very disagree.
Good detailing and a clean boat will not cover up corrosion, rust or defects that fresh paint will cover up. Or if components don't operate correctly.
I feel good detailing helps to show the overall care a boat was given. Under your rationale I should leave the boat dirty to make you feel more confident. Does not add up.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Respectfully very disagree.
Good detailing and a clean boat will not cover up corrosion, rust or defects that fresh paint will cover up. Or if components don't operate correctly.
I feel good detailing helps to show the overall care a boat was given. Under your rationale I should leave the boat dirty to make you feel more confident. Does not add up.
Hi,

I think you may have misunderstood what I meant or perhaps you meant to respond to someone else (perhaps SEASICK's post). I wrote that even a really good detailing going to remedy a boat that wasn't cared for. Also, slapping paint over corroded parts aren't going to fool most folks.

Reactions: GW1990

seasick

Reaction score
Hi,

I think you may have misunderstood what I meant or perhaps you meant to respond to someone else (perhaps SEASICK's post). I wrote that even a really good detailing going to remedy a boat that wasn't cared for. Also, slapping paint over corroded parts aren't going to fool most folks.
It's a lot easier to 'fool' a newbie. We see it all the time.

JustEnough

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
Just went through this as both a buyer and seller. Really depends on how complicated the boat is but a broker is your buffer and a good one will minimize the hit you take after survey. "Typical" fee around me is10%.

The wrong buyer can cause a lot of brain damage and it's the brokers job to manage expectations plus they do not get paid until closing so there is real motivation. Get a couple proposals - the values may exceed your expectations so the broker will earn their $.

CosbyLAX

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Just went through this as both a buyer and seller. Really depends on how complicated the boat is but a broker is your buffer and a good one will minimize the hit you take after survey. "Typical" fee around me is10%.

The wrong buyer can cause a lot of brain damage and it's the brokers job to manage expectations plus they do not get paid until closing so there is real motivation. Get a couple proposals - the values may exceed your expectations so the broker will earn their $.
Thank you, appreciate the insight!

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Hmmmm.... let's see here/now.....

GW 257 CC...late model, low hours, twin Yamahas, no bottom paint, rack stored, excellent condition, RADAR & outriggers suggest to me it's well equipped,,,,

I would without question go FSBO and see what happens. Let's say pricing is around $135k - $150k. I wouldn't be too quick to want to give five figures to a broker.

Priced appropriately, it should sell pretty quickly.

Just my $00.02

Pighunter

Reaction score
Great advice here, I may be putting my 228 up for sale later this summer.

CosbyLAX

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Hmmmm.... let's see here/now.....

GW 257 CC...late model, low hours, twin Yamahas, no bottom paint, rack stored, excellent condition, RADAR & outriggers suggest to me it's well equipped,,,,

I would without question go FSBO and see what happens. Let's say pricing is around $135k - $150k. I wouldn't be too quick to want to give five figures to a broker.

Priced appropriately, it should sell pretty quickly.

Just my $00.02
Thank you JJF! I was kind of leaning that way. I think the boat would sell itself. There's not a day goes by when I'm on that boat and someone tells me how much they like it. That being said, either direction I decide, there has been great feedback on this site. I wish I had found it sooner. Probably would have saved me some $ on maintenance.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here’s a 2017 on BT for $155k, of which as mentioned I definitely wouldn’t want to potentially give a broker up to 10%, or $15k, of the sale. There’s this boat and a couple other similar ones on BT. I’d keep my eye on them to see if they sell or not and how quickly, if they do sell.

seasick

Reaction score
I am not equipped with body armor, weaponry , or accompanied by a forensic accountant:)
I don't want to meet a stranger to do a deal where there is !00 grand or whatever on the table. I also am and everyone should be, aware that there are phony bank checks and /or money orders out there. I don't do crypto currencies either/

If someone is dopey enough to meet me with cash and we meet at a branch of my bank where I can deposit the payment, then I would consider that option
The best approach for both parties is to do the deal at a bank branch where both parties have accounts and you involve a bank officer to oversee the transfer and confirmation of funds.

Of course there is the option to use a broker and not worry if you will be on the 6 o'clock news!
It's sad to say but that's the way it is.

Reminds me of a friend of mine many years ago who was selling his sail boat. Asking price was $55k if I remember correctly. A person answers his ad and says he is interested in the boat. A few day later, the buyer shows up and says he wants the boat. No survey, no sea trial. My friend says OK and the buyer goes to the rear of his car and opens the trunk. In the trunk are blocks of bills, wrapped in cellophane. I forget how much each block was but the buyer counts out the appropriate number and hands them to my friend to count.
After counting and signing over the papers, my friend asks if the buyer is worried carrying all that cash in the trunk and the buyer replies " No, who knows it's there?"

I wonder what that boat was used for......

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
I'm not sure that a broker would be writing any guarantees against fraud either. It's possible they could be scammed too but if you know as much as they do and do a careful well documented and researched transaction it should be OK.
I'm surprised the guy with the cash in his trunk had bills that were not counterfeit. Crime is always possible.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I'm not sure that a broker would be writing any guarantees against fraud either. It's possible they could be scammed too but if you know as much as they do and do a careful well documented and researched transaction it should be OK.
I'm surprised the guy with the cash in his trunk had bills that were not counterfeit. Crime is always possible.

No one is going to drop $55k in counterfeit money in one spot. It's a definite way to caught. It takes a lot of work to spread counterfeit money money around.