Anchor size for 272 sailfish

Fishtales

Reaction score
Your on the edge of size most change around 30'. look at Delta Fast Set. I've had one since 07 and like it. Performs well for the conditions here. Might be good to ask around in your local area as conditions vary.

seasick

Reaction score
There is no straightforward answer. The most appropriate anchor depends on how it is going to be used and what bottom conditions it will have to deal with.
For example, if the primary need is for overnight or 'semi-'permanent' anchoring, you will need a different model that if all you want to do is drop an anchor while you fish. In the later case, the bottom type will favor one style of anchor over another. There are many sites that will help you size an anchor. A lot of times, the chain is as important as the anchor type.
Once you select a style and weight, you may have an option of material, galvanized or stainless. SS anchors look cool but are quite a bit more expensive than galvanized and loosing a nice shiny SS anchor is a lot harder to deal with than a less expensive model (which is still painful to experience!)
You probably also want to also carry a second anchor, usually a tad smaller for backup and more importantly double anchoring. That may be a different style depending on how you plan to use it.
Take a look at this site for Danforth, a very popular anchor

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have been using a Delta fast set 13# rated to support a 25' boat, it did ok, but went to a 22# for deeper water and it does ok in less than 30' water, but start going deeper and sometimes they take a bit to set.
In my case, I have 600' 8 plait 1/2" line with 25' 1/4" high test chain and still not happy with the set at times.
Just purchased and installed today the Mantus M1 17# for my 25' boat. The next size up is 25#. I think either will work on the 27'.
Check some of the youtube video's on anchor comparisons and decide from there what you think you should do for your personal preference and basis on what you see in the testing results.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Could look at more chain if you still have issues. The length of the boat is usually the minimum for deep water.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
A lot will depend on where you are anchoring including type of bottom and the conditions. Overall I have been happy with delta anchors. With both my previous 265 and current 305 I have used the 22# with 25 ft of chain. Both boats initially came with 15ft of chain which I increased to 25ft. If you are using a windless, that will dictate line size and chain size. The conditions that I typically anchor in are under 40ft and in relatively calm conditions and sandy bottoms. During the fall blackfish season I switch over to a claw anchor as we are typically anchoring in rocky areas and it just seems to hold better, it is also a lot cheaper to replace if it gets hung up. Another tip is to look around your marina and boats in your area and see what they are using for anchors. One of my dock mates suggested the Delta which has worked well for me.

jillyrubyjane

Reaction score
Model
Dolphin
Seachoice utility anchor. Welded joints appear strong. Galvanization is generous. Slip ring works well to back anchor out of being stuck. I would recommend this to a friend and buy again if fitting out a new boat.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Seachoice utility anchor. Welded joints appear strong. Galvanization is generous. Slip ring works well to back anchor out of being stuck. I would recommend this to a friend and buy again if fitting out a new boat.
Jilly, your posts often have a questionable link that goes to some unspecified website. I've only hovered it and have never clicked it for fear of spam. Do you actually own this anchor to give it an honest review? Reason being, this is a VERY entry level anchor, way down the scale of "better" anchors. And, yes, that comes from personally having it in my hands.

SoLucky

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Jilly, your posts often have a questionable link that goes to some unspecified website. I've only hovered it and have never clicked it for fear of spam. Do you actually own this anchor to give it an honest review?

Dennis,

I think you have a browser add-on installed that is modifying posts with ad links. I don't see any questionable links on Jilly's or other's posts that you have said had questionable links in them.

-- JB

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Dennis,

I think you have a browser add-on installed that is modifying posts with ad links. I don't see any questionable links on Jilly's or other's posts that you have said had questionable links in them.

-- JB
Interesting. I don't know much about computer stuff. But... the word "anchor" in Jilly's post isn't "clickable" for you? It's weird, though - I see that in a lot of Jilly's posts.

Mooree

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 307
I bought this Extreme Max anchor to replace the crappy one we got when we purchased a pontoon. The old anchor did hold the boat in place and we kept floating across the lake on windy days. Bought this and boat stays put even on the windiest days! It is heavy seems to be of good quality. Highly Recommend !

Last edited:

oldrusty

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Dennis the word anchor is clickable on my computer sooo.. I won't click on it though

Reactions: A&J Outdoors

oldrusty

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
link goes to Marinetalk.com if you cursor it it says where it goes

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Old post resurrected by a brand new member's first post :)

Yeah, the jury is still out (in my mind) about Ruby. Most, if not all (just going from memory there), of his/her posts are like the one in #8. They always appear to have no real experience with a product - instead, just re-stating what an ad might say about the product - along with that link. I suspect Ruby either owns/works for that site or somehow gets paid when people click on the link. Either way, I'mnot doing it - it comes across as underhanded and sneaky to me.

fishon

Reaction score
If you want your anchor to hold, a proper amount of chain is required in order to maintain a horizontal pull on your chosen anchor. With an inadequate amount of chain and some swell you’re likely to create a more vertical pull on the anchor and possibly dislodging it. Take a glance at a Chapmans inregards to anchoring and equipment. A boat length worth of chain is not adequate, try using a boat length and a half of chain with an appropriate anchor and see how that works. A 30’ marlin should have 45’ feet of 1/4 chain to start . The key is maintaining a horizontal pull on the anchor.

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If you want your anchor to hold, a proper amount of chain is required in order to maintain a horizontal pull on your chosen anchor. With an inadequate amount of chain and some swell you’re likely to create a more vertical pull on the anchor and possibly dislodging it. Take a glance at a Chapmans inregards to anchoring and equipment. A boat length worth of chain is not adequate, try using a boat length and a half of chain with an appropriate anchor and see how that works. A 30’ marlin should have 45’ feet of 1/4 chain to start . The key is maintaining a horizontal pull on the anchor.
I agree - I have a 330 Express and use a Delta 22 with 50 feet of chain.