Any Grady owners fishing the Great Lakes

Sba

Reaction score
I just bought a 228 Seafarer with a full swim platform, I am considering putting a 9-9 kicker on the boat, has any one with a 228 done this ? If so please shoot me an e-mail, I have a few questions about mounting the kicker, weight , where to get a transom mount, etc. Sbandrasik@aol.com

nascarjonb

Reaction score
Great to see someone on this great lake forum. I have a older spirit 175 with a 115 Yamaha. I fish lake Erie out of Sandusky area and also the Cleveland area at times. I am too also trying to mount a swim platform on my boat but I dont have alot of room and i also to want to hook a 9 horse to the back for trolling but dont have any idea how to mount it all with such a small space to work with.

Sba

Reaction score
Nascarjon, they informed me that I cannot mount a kicker to the swimplatforms, not strong enough , said I need a special bracket, the swimplatforms will separate.Sure wish someone who has done this would respond

Reactions: Makshark

Fishhog

Reaction score
Get ahold of South Shore Marine in Huron, Ohio. They are an awesome marina and know there stuff. I bought a couple of Contenders from them and they did some really cool stuff on mine. They will know you need. I hope to be purchasing a GW there this spring. Good luck. Where is your home port? Mine is Huron.

Sba

Reaction score
Fish Hog , my home port is Turtle Creek close to Port Clinton, I have been to Huron , Grady White dealer many times , talked to the owner last month about adding a Yaham 9.9 kicker to my 228 Seafarer, he told me in his opinion , that is the worst thing a Grady White owner can do, said it compromises the handdling characteristics of the Grady, pulls the scuppers down below the water line , and a few other things, he strongly discouraged putting one on, They are good people at South Shore ,and know a great deal more about boats than I ,especially Grady's , however I question there advice. I contacted Grady White manufacture, and they said they actually made a kicker plate for Grady's at one time , however , lack of demand , quit making that option for the 228, Still in a holding pattern, until I can talk to someone who has a full swimplatform and has mounted a kicker to a 228Seafarer, want the pro and cons also the type of mounting bracket used , Thanks for trying to help ,Steve

captainmichael

Reaction score
I have a 208 Adventure with a Panther kicker bracket which I installed myself. The kicker is a 9.9 Yamaha electric start and power tilt. The Panther bracket is a hydraulic lift. I have the ability to not only raise the motor with the bracket but also I can also power tilt the motor as well. This gives mean a large range of trimming options.

I have had no issues with this set up at all. It not only gives me kicker get home insurance but great trolling capabilities. There has been no impact on the performance of the boat due to the extra weight in the stern. Non whatsoever. The only issue is some water leaking back into the boat through the scupper if a couple of adults are standing in the stern. I feel that is a very small price to pay for all the advantage.

If you need more info or have more questions on it just drop me a line.

Mike

captainmichael

Reaction score
Dear Captains
I noticed some of you are from around Lake Erie. In case you are not aware, there is a Lake Erie Grady White Club that is sponsored by South Shore Marine. We have existed since 2003 and have been with South Shore for about 4 years. I posted a introductory in the club section of this forum. If any of you would want to be added to our e-mail list of news and events, just send me your e-mail and I will be more that happy to add you to the list.

Mike

dwain

Reaction score
Website
www.bodkinrealty.com
Steve: I had in my files somewhere regarding a bracket for a kicker on the Seafarer. A gentlemen from the west coast sent me photos of his. It was the best set up I have ever seen. If you want photos let me know and will send. Dwain

Sba

Reaction score
Pics of mounted motor

Dwain, would really appreciate any pics you have , already have some from Lake Erie post but these can always help me and other people, thank you and have a safe and great new year , Sba

Michigan Brian

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I realize this is an old thread. I have not been on this site in a few years and just read through this

I have a 1994 Adventure 208 and have fished Erie for many years but have since moved my boat to my pole barn in the Traverse City area.

I know the folks at (Steve) at South Shore Marine and they are fine people

I will echo what Capt Michael as I have the exact same kicker setup on my Grady and its been great. I have had a little trouble with the actuator and motor on the Panther Lift. I did have to buy a new actuator/motor assembly a few years ago as there was a plug on the underside of the unit that had fallen out and water got in. They have redesigned this so that plug no longer is there. My Panther is not a hydraulic lift, its has an electric motor that drives a worm gear actuator.

I also have a Panther Steer on it with 2 controls, one at the transom and one at the helm that provides great control

spx1000

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Lake Ontario just joined the GW Family this week!

252gw

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
254 Sailfish out of Sodus Point Lake Ontario

Fishtales

Reaction score
Not from the area, but saw the waves in the GLs and some of the damage the high water and waves was doing to some of the homes. Seems that a GW would be well suited for the GLs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Denko

Joez

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
South end of Lake Michigan here, generally fish out of Hammond indiana in a '93 226 Seafarer. Grew up chasing salmon on my families '79 205 Gulfstream, and bought my seafarer about 8 years back. Great boat for the great lakes, that's for sure.

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Nice to see a Great Lakes Grady group!
I'm hoping to join the team next year. I'm going to run out the summer this year and start actively looking next year for a Lake Superior salmon boat.
I'm leaning towards a Journey 258 but would consider 232, 228 as well as a Tournament/Freedom 225. My wife would prefer the bowrider option.
Personally I would like the boat to be put on a trailer and would like Max beam. Hence my coming to the 258. Does anyone have experience with a 248/258 on the Great Lakes? Too much boat? Would a 228 be enough? If the right 232 came up I would definitely consider it and just pay for yearly permits for trailering to northern Michigan.
Cheers from northern Ontario!
BB

252gw

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
We are upgrading from the 254 to a 330 and will continue to fish out of Sodus Point Lake Ontario. So far this year fishing has been pretty good. Look forward to getting the bigger boat

papfelbach

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
!985 25 foot Sailfish in the waters of Green Bay. Fish Creek Wisconsin. Catching walleye, small mouth bass and the hated sheepshead.

Green place to fish and boat.

Reactions: brodie129

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I trailer up from Kentucky with my 228. This will be my 3rd year coming up. We fish out of Lakeside Marblehead and stay at Mar-Lu.

20200910_180349.jpg

J-cubed

Reaction score
I have a place in Au Gres Mi. on Lake Huron/Saginaw Bay. I have been chasing Mr. Marble Eyes there for about 30 years. A good friend of mine runs his Explorer out of Bayport Mi. on the other side of the bay. It's good to see another Grady on the water once in a while.

Reactions: Walleyze