Anyone Offshore in an Adventure 208?

CheapGrady

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Good afternoon all,

New to the forum, but I've lurked here while researching Grady-White models. I have a new to me Adventure 208, 1998 model with a Johnson 200hp Ocean Pro that I'm hoping to have on the water soon. I'm very curious to hear if anyone is venturing offshore in their Adventure 208 and what their experience has been. I'm on the Texas coast with easy access to Galveston Bay and the Gulf of Mexico, while the bay offers plenty of fishing spots I'd love to stretch my legs into the Gulf for a change of scenery as often as time, the weather, and my wallet allow.

Got an Adventure 208 and go offshore? Kindly indulge me with a few tales.

STRMH8TR

Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

New to the forum, but I've lurked here while researching Grady-White models. I have a new to me Adventure 208, 1998 model with a Johnson 200hp Ocean Pro that I'm hoping to have on the water soon. I'm very curious to hear if anyone is venturing offshore in their Adventure 208 and what their experience has been. I'm on the Texas coast with easy access to Galveston Bay and the Gulf of Mexico, while the bay offers plenty of fishing spots I'd love to stretch my legs into the Gulf for a change of scenery as often as time, the weather, and my wallet allow.

Got an Adventure 208 and go offshore? Kindly indulge me with a few tales.
Interested also. Trying to decide between this and something bigger

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison but I've got a GW 228 Seafarer and while it's kind of the bigger brother to the 208 Adventure, I'm thinking it's definitely doable in regards to the boat itself being up for the challenge. I think you'll definitely have to pick and choose your days for going out a bit more than say a 25'+ boat, but I think you could make it work under the right weather/conditions. I'm admittedly a bit more of a fair-weather fisherman and fish up here in the Seattle area in Puget Sound where the waters are a bit more protected. That being said, I've been out in some not as favorable conditions and the boat handled them just fine, though I think for us guys with "smaller" sized boats, it's usually a tale of the boat being up to the challenge, though oftentimes the captain/crew might not be.

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It's really more about the experience of the skipper than the boat. The 208 is a very capable . Much more capable than the boats I used to 20-30miles offshore in my younger years. Start with trips close to shore. Get to know the boat and do what you feel comfortable with. You need to go out sometimes when the weather isn't great to see how the boat handles. As you gain experience venture further offshore. You most probably know things like how the trim the boat in head-on and following seas. If you get caught out in bad weather ( if you boat enough it will happen) don't rush. Take it easy. The boat will get you home.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Having an experienced skipper is always a good thing, that being said you could have the most experienced skipper in the world but if you're out in a 20' boat or less with 10' swells then you're going to get pounded the entire way out and back.

TeK

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Pick your days, you’ll be fine as long as your comfortable with the boat and the motor. Who goes out in 10’ swells anyway. Try Lake Erie, one of the toughest lakes to ride in the rough.

Reactions: PointedRose

CheapGrady

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thank you all for the replies so far. I'll be working up to 20-30 mile offshore trips if everything goes to plan. I ran across a guy who is very active in tournament fishing in my local waters and is highly experienced offshore who echos some of what has been said here. He's good to go 30 miles offshore in a Adventure 208 so long as the weather is favorable and he knows the pedigree of the motor.

I'll likely stage my trips as I learn the boat. Start in the lake and do some considerable shake down runs. Move to the bay to see how the handling is on some light chop, then on to a trip to the Galveston jetties which are 5-mile long and protect the entrance to the Houston ship channel.

Reactions: Peter A

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Edit - now. See your note about the experienced captain saying 20-30 miles!

See this, around post 103. https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/2021-adventure-208-build.30958/page-6

Go for it! Now the caveats…

I have a recently acquired 208 with a 200 I4, all mechanical controls, in NJ. Have made several ocean trips 2-10 miles off the beach and the boat does well from running Barnegat inlet into reported 2-3 ft wave heights @ 7-10 secs. That’s very approximate, overall these were good weather days with favorable winds and no nasty conditions the prior day or forecast for the following day, in the middle of the day with lots of boats around fishing. I have not had this particular boat out in any real weather but will push out in some snottier days to see how she does.

Depends on your definition of offshore. In the ocean and sight of land, a bit farther maybe 20-30 miles, or beyond that and truly offshore? I feel pretty good as-is, boat, safety gear, boat handling, seamanship out to around 10 miles. There is a CG station at Barnegat inlet where I enter the Atlantic, that’s a nice bonus.

Ultimately I would like to feel good going out 30 miles or so to Barnegat Ridge. Feasible from there to get back quickly ahead of bad weather, or slowly if caught in the weather. Any farther, I’d like a bigger boat with twins, and a raft. Twenty feet is just that, even if a seaworthy 20’.

My boat is pretty new, but I need to know how everything works and is put together. So I have been spending time going over how every boat system is put together. I have decent mechanical skills. I won’t go any farther out right now until I have more bad weather helm time AND a lot more redundancy: backup handheld GPS, backup VHF, perhaps some kind of Sat text or voice communication, Sirius weather, a backup bilge pump, perhaps a radar, a good set of mechanical and general spares, spare prop, ditch bag with EPIRB. I don’t know if the 208 has a big enough anchor locker for 300 ft line so feasible to set an anchor in 50ft depth? I have only 200ft now. Maybe all that is overkill for not that far out but I’ll feel better.

I was once thirty miles out off Belize, outside the reef in 10-15 foot swells in an open 15 foot skiff with a 60hp outboard, no radio, going fly fishing for bonefish in Honduras with a guide. On reflection not a great idea.

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
The best advice in the responses is to pick your weather. My 208 can take a lot more 'abuse' than I can. In rough seas it can pound and that can take a toll on hour back
In swells, at rest as when bottom fishing, it will roll a lot and if you or your crew are prone to queasiness, they will be uncomfortable.. The 208 , at least mine, has one fairly small wiper. In wet weather or when taking spray over the bow, it can be hard to see clearly.
Before you commit to a 20 mile trip, you need to learn the boat and assess whether you feel comfortable with the existing equipment. You need to identify problematic components and plan for them.
Note that the boat will act differently with curtains than without.
Deploying and retrieving the anchor in rough seas can be a challenge and dangerous as the forward deck is small and the walkways are very narrow.
For me my weather limits are 2 foot seas, 12 mph or less winds as a general rule. I have been caught in bigger seas, perhaps 4-6 foot and stronger winds. Getting back to port was slow, stressful and totally not fun.
My scariest experience was not offshore but rather inshore traversing a narrow channel from the bay to the ocean. Out of nowhere, zero visibility fog rolled in and before I had a chance to head back, I was totally blind. I don't have radar and I was afraid to turn around because I didn't want to expose more boat area to incoming traffic. Much larger boats were returning to port. I could hear them but couldn't see anything. Eventually I got a bit of clearing and managed to turn around and run for home:)

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Great advice in the above comments!
I routinely take my 1999 GW Adventure 208 out up to 50 miles out in SoCal and Mex waters.
We are super lucky here, SoCal has stable weather and not prone to surprise storms.
I pick my days and don't go out if it is more that 12-14 mph wind or is sea state is short interval.
Typical days are 5-12 mph winds and 1-3 foot swell at 6 + secs.

That said, I make sure I keep my boat in great shape, single engine is well maintained. I have 2 bilge pumps, all safety devices, including PLB etc.

If it gets rough, I just slow down coming in. I do NOT unnecessary risks, if I don't feel comfortable - I cancel my trip.

I recommend, you stay in close, get a good feel for your boat, go fishing on other peoples boats and just get some time on the water. You will know when you feel comfortable going further.

1692821727377.png

Reactions: apostleislandsphoto

gbgrady208

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I think everyone covered this quite well with the key being a safety first orientation. I take my 208 out in the open Pacific Ocean all the time, including many trips through the Golden Gate Bridge and out in the ocean 25-30 miles from the bridge. The currents and swells are nasty under the Golden Gate, but the 208 handles it well if you slow down a bit and take the right course. Safety first for me is don't go in nasty conditions (just cancel and replan the trip for a nicer day), I carry a PLB, the radio on the boat, a handheld radio and I have the Fell Marine man overboard system installed with FOB's on both the Captain and passenger life jackets, and we wear our inflatable mustang vests 100% of the time. Even better than PLB would be an EPIRB. I also carry a reasonable amount of fix-it materials and tools in case I ever have to patch something up or get the boat to limp back to the harbor. One person already said this, but I'll say it again - - the boat can take more punishment than I can which means I plan my trips for conditions that will be comfortable and feel confident that the boat will get me back if things quickly degrade while a long way from the harbor. Put differently, the 208 is fine in the ocean - - just pick your days and remember it's a lot more fun when the conditions are good than when they are bad.

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Just some 208 perspective, I was out yesterday a few miles off Barnegat Inlet, NJ.

The NW swell was big enough, the larger waves were occasionally eye level when I was standing (I am 5’8”). No breaking waves, just enough spacing, rounded on the back sides so no digging the bow 18- 20mph into head sea. Following sea no problem at 25mph. No pounding but a busy ride, lots of throttle adjustments. Pretty light load, just me but a full fuel tank (and hardtop). Four blade prop had plenty of traction and 200hp 2.8 Yamaha had lots of reserve power. This is about the limit for a low-stress day, for me. Floating at idle, the rolling was a bit much but fishable.

Went out the channel against the incoming tide with the NW wind not an issue versus a more typical S/SW summer wind that builds a nastier channel passage. Easy passage back on slack tide.

Watched the 30’-35’ boats moving offshore at a reasonable pace throwing some big bow spray but fairly level rides. A big triple-engine, regulator-type hull moved by me on the way in at a pretty good clip.

Reactions: PointedRose

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
…I have the Fell Marine man overboard system installed with FOB's on both the Captain and passenger life jackets, and we wear our inflatable mustang vests 100% of the time…

I need to check out the man/dog overboard system and get that installed over the winter. I see that the Helmaster EX systems will pilot right back to a spot, cool - I am practicing doing the mark (Garmin UDH94sv) and return maneuver hopefully just for that cooler that gets launched and not a warm body.

gbgrady208

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have the Fell Marine 1st Mate system on both my 208 and my Marlin 300. A must have safety device, especially if you troll with autopilot set (which is how we fish for halibut, salmon and tuna in Northern California. Install was very simple on the 208 (completely plug and play and that part of the wiring harness is easy to locate and access. Their customer support is excellent if you have any real-time install issues, but it doesn't get much simpler than this. The nice part of the 1st Mate system is the module mounts out of sight so there is no drilling involved. And, you original tether based safety device stays as is. Good luck!!

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Just to echo the other people, it's the experience of the skipper that matters. I know a guy who used to go 30-40 miles off shore in an 18 foot center console Grady (he runs a Canyon 271 these days).

You need to go out in a following sea, a head sea, a cross sea with a decent swell, say 7'@11s, and get used to that. The boat is fine, it's who is driving that matters. And no judgement on your skills, I don't know what they are. I wouldn't send a new guy off shore in a Marlin. You need to know your boat and your engine really well.

The last time this came up, my advice was "do you know all the sounds your boat and engine makes? When something is different, do you immediately notice it and figure it out? If no, you aren't ready, if yes, you are getting there".

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have fished the Gulf extensively for many years. And as my signature indicates, I've had 3 Gradys including a 204C. The 204 and 208 have similar seaworthiness, but the 208 has a softer ride. So I'll relate some experience with the 20-footer.

I would routinely run out 30-40 miles from Tarpon Springs on nice days (2 ft or less) and would run about 12 miles in 3-4 footers (not that I'm old, I would never do that). I had a couple of 80-20 mile trips out to the Middle Grounds in that boat, but we would get towed out by a shrimper overnight so we would have plenty of fuel to get back. We really had to pick our day for those trips. Never during summer thunderstorm season.

I now run at least 30 miles out from Homosassa on almost every trip. Other than the extra 2 feet of cockpit space, the 226 rides about the same as a 208. I tested both models before I got the 226.

I've never fished out of Galveston, but I know that you are on a shallow shelf similar to the West Coast of Florida. So I assume that you have similar sea conditions. People who have not been on the shallow Gulf really don't understand the wave conditions, so you need to take suggestions from folks from other regions with a grain of salt. They have never seen 3 ft waves with a 3 sec period except maybe on Lake Erie. We can have a low swell with a wind wave flow at an angle that will turn even 2 ft seas into a washing machine.

So here are my recommendations:

2 feet or less will be fine. But don't go very far offshore if thunderstorms are predicted.

2-3 ft is doable if the period isn't bad and you are tough, but forget it if the forecast calls for 4 ft or greater.

Know your inlet conditions. Inlets can be much trickier than running offshore. Especially if you have a wind against the tide situation.

Get all the safety equipment that you can afford. AIS VHF, EPIRB, and a good hand-held VHF for a backup in case your batteries go out. You will need 300 ft of anchor rope in case you get into a situation where you can't do anything but steer into the waves. This happened to me twice over the years when we got stuck in bad offshore thunderstorms. We needed to anchor after an hour of stemming the waves since my arms gave out. If we drifted, we would have swamped. A sea anchor is useful for deeper water or as a backup. The old axiom that the boat can take more than you can is very true.

But as long as you are weather and equipment aware you should have a good time offshore with your 208.

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
A bad 208 day

IMG_5217.png

A better day

IMG_5219.png
A low wind, big swell, longer period kind of day but probably a few bigger waves lurking in there.

IMG_5220.png
Unfortunately no 2ft - 6+sec days coming up, these are all 15mi East of Barnegat Light off NJ, but can stay in the Barnegat Inlet or Bay, which can be bad as well but low risk and a short ride back to the dock.

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It's all well and good looking at the weather and wind reports before going out, but the weather can also change quite quickly and without much notice. There were a few times where I'd be coming back from fishing in Edmonds with my 21' Arima, of which yes I know that a 21' Arima is quite different from a GW 208 Adventure, but to where the tide and winds changed and it made for a brutal ride back. That was also only about 10 or so miles from our cabin, and to where I couldn't imagine trying to head back to the barn and having to go 40-50 miles with brutal winds and 2'+ chop the whole way.

CheapGrady

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have fished the Gulf extensively for many years. And as my signature indicates, I've had 3 Gradys including a 204C. The 204 and 208 have similar seaworthiness, but the 208 has a softer ride. So I'll relate some experience with the 20-footer.

I would routinely run out 30-40 miles from Tarpon Springs on nice days (2 ft or less) and would run about 12 miles in 3-4 footers (not that I'm old, I would never do that). I had a couple of 80-20 mile trips out to the Middle Grounds in that boat, but we would get towed out by a shrimper overnight so we would have plenty of fuel to get back. We really had to pick our day for those trips. Never during summer thunderstorm season.

I now run at least 30 miles out from Homosassa on almost every trip. Other than the extra 2 feet of cockpit space, the 226 rides about the same as a 208. I tested both models before I got the 226.

I've never fished out of Galveston, but I know that you are on a shallow shelf similar to the West Coast of Florida. So I assume that you have similar sea conditions. People who have not been on the shallow Gulf really don't understand the wave conditions, so you need to take suggestions from folks from other regions with a grain of salt. They have never seen 3 ft waves with a 3 sec period except maybe on Lake Erie. We can have a low swell with a wind wave flow at an angle that will turn even 2 ft seas into a washing machine.

So here are my recommendations:

2 feet or less will be fine. But don't go very far offshore if thunderstorms are predicted.

2-3 ft is doable if the period isn't bad and you are tough, but forget it if the forecast calls for 4 ft or greater.

Know your inlet conditions. Inlets can be much trickier than running offshore. Especially if you have a wind against the tide situation.

Get all the safety equipment that you can afford. AIS VHF, EPIRB, and a good hand-held VHF for a backup in case your batteries go out. You will need 300 ft of anchor rope in case you get into a situation where you can't do anything but steer into the waves. This happened to me twice over the years when we got stuck in bad offshore thunderstorms. We needed to anchor after an hour of stemming the waves since my arms gave out. If we drifted, we would have swamped. A sea anchor is useful for deeper water or as a backup. The old axiom that the boat can take more than you can is very true.

But as long as you are weather and equipment aware you should have a good time offshore with your 208.
Thanks for the reply, many have offered advice which is appreciated but it's nice to hear from someone familiar with the Gulf of Mexico.

CheapGrady

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thank you to all who have continued to offer advice and personal experience. I'm coming from a 32ft Carver aft cabin that was a twin inboard and not something you wanted to take out in chop. I'll be taking it slow while I learn my fishing spots and how the boat handles. Having nothing to prove I'll likely have no reason to intentionally head out in 3ft or larger seas, but I'm comforted to know that as long as I do my job I'll be at my breaking point before the boat does when I end up caught in some bad weather.