attach new panels to dash

Diad

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
For those of you that have redid your dashboard or switch panels, how did you attach the new material to the fiberglass? I was thinking of using the blind inserts so that i can remove them easily. Basically, just 5200 the insert into the fiberglass hole and then screw into it. The purpose of this is that my fuse panel is under one of the gauge panels on the 265. If a fuse blows, i want to be able to remove the panel easily to replace. The reason that i am thinking this is because while removing the existing panels i think that every screw broke or was so seized up that i'm hoping to avoid this in the future.

thoughts?

TVillani

Reaction score
Model
Dolphin
I just replaced my switch panels and the holes didn't line up, I filled the existing holes with epoxy, sanded and redrilled to the proper measurements. Then i used rivnuts. Be careful if you go this route though, it doesn't take a ton of pressure on the tool to over-expand the nut and crack the gelcoat. Not speaking from experience. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: SkunkBoat

Diad

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
So the Rivnuts appear to be aluminum and most of the screws appear to be SS. Will there be an issue with these metals? I haven’t seen aluminum screws. I have seen some type of steel rivnuts but it doesn’t say stainless of any grade.

TVillani

Reaction score
Model
Dolphin
You’ll be fine. Just don’t cross-thread. Screw them in nice and slow. If you cross-thread ss to aluminum it’ll be a pin to back the screw out. You can get ss rivnuts though.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
So the Rivnuts appear to be aluminum and most of the screws appear to be SS. Will there be an issue with these metals? I haven’t seen aluminum screws. I have seen some type of steel rivnuts but it doesn’t say stainless of any grade.
well, yes, the originals were aluminum too and the screws got stuck after many years of salt.
They do make SS rivnuts but you need an expensive tool.

I was able to use a cheap kit from Harbor Freight with aluminum rivnuts. I spray them with WD once a year.
You will need new gasket material

I think the rubber well nuts can work. I had tried one that fit I had laying around. It seemed to sit higher and would need a bigger gasket.
Also they stay connected to the screw once the tension is released. I wasn't sure of the metal in the one's I had wasn't plain steel with a gold color coating.