Auto pilot on 228

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The only issue I have had with my install of the 300 is, no affect on the helm compass but each action of the pump creates a static burst on the radio, Not sure how to deall with that yet .....I believe it is coming from the controller via the pump action. Not too many places to reinstall the radio and still have good access. Will keep working on it. Cheers trapper

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Do you have a ferrite suppressor on your radio power line? That usually helps. So does wrapping aluminum foil around your antenna wire.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Doc, I asked someone that fits them in, I even told him about the compass located so much forward he said it should be fine, remains to be seen.
I bought everything in a kit form, the AP 44 kit includes everything you need for the installation, including T connectors, even the 3 hydraulic hoses with fittings and brass T fittings.
All up cost $AU 2,900, about 2000 USD. I will post pictures when I get around to fitting it in, probably next week.

Reactions: Ky Grady

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
While on the subject thought I would show my install. Thanks to John Halfhitch for the pic placing tutorial.
processor on port side of cabin bulkhead with leads over to the NMEA backbone through to the helm.
lKYIk09l.jpg

Installed the compass on a 6 inch hatch plate, hides the 20 ft. of cord , not to be cut. Also makes it easy to level on install and access power at the helm
hankTVql.jpg

Crowded helm showing the 20 amp breaker (instant shut down) by the compass and the AP control by the radio
SAcMmebl.jpg

Cover for the compass in case of damage on laying down hinged floor cover
hnpBWWJl.jpg

Showing plywood floor, making it easy to access coats life jackets and boating stuff as needed.
N3v7Ef7l.jpg

Fun in the sun! Cheers trapper

Last edited:

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Doc, I do not have a suppressor on my power line , so will look into that and maybe try the tin foil trick first. I guess you recognize the pics. Thanks. trapper

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You sure have a crowded dash! I recognize the Yamaha, Furuno, and Bennet gauges and controls, but what is the rest of that stuff?

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What "Stuff"....... top left water pressure gauge, LED bilge light (could never see the stock one) Box with cable is electric speed control for kicker (iTroll) dial your speed and switches from trolling to idle etc. with a push of a button. Radio beside the AP control. Right bottom is dual controls main and kicker. YellowLED light is showing ACR is working (charging). Have I missed anything? All part of spending lots of time and enjoyment on the Pacific. No not necessary, but accumulated over time and do enjoy all installs. Are you suggesting I need a bigger boat to lesson the clutter..........now that is an idea! trapper

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What "Stuff"....... top left water pressure gauge, LED bilge light (could never see the stock one) Box with cable is electric speed control for kicker (iTroll) dial your speed and switches from trolling to idle etc. with a push of a button. Radio beside the AP control. Right bottom is dual controls main and kicker. YellowLED light is showing ACR is working (charging). Have I missed anything? All part of spending lots of time and enjoyment on the Pacific. No not necessary, but accumulated over time and do enjoy all installs. Are you suggesting I need a bigger boat to lesson the clutter..........now that is an idea! trapper

Awesome!!!! Blame the need for a bigger boat on Doc Stressor,,, I need to try that with my wife. 228 to a 282,,,,that would work!!

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I just fitted my Simrad auto pilot, still to water calibrate. Some pictures of the fittout , very tight where I put the drive motor as you can see.Grady Auto pilot 009.JPGGrady Auto pilot 009.JPGGrady Auto pilot 011.JPGGrady Auto pilot 022.JPGGrady Auto pilot 002.JPGGrady Auto pilot 006.JPGGrady Auto pilot 019.JPG

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm getting buyer's remorse over my Furuno AP. I was sold a bill of goods about it at the Miami Boat Show where a salesman and an "engineer" told me that it didn't need a heading sensor if I only wanted to follow GPS tracks from my Simrad Evo3. While that may be true, it turns out that the software won't let you set up the system unless it detects a heading sensor. So I needed to spend another $700 which took me over the cost of the Simrad AP44 system.

The Furuno is overkill for a small boat. It is built like a tank, but the processor unit is huge and the compass is not waterproof and has a lot of exposed wiring. I wish I had that sleek Simrad system which would interface directly with the Evo3 MDF and fit better in the Grady.

I'm having a problem with the Furuno right now. After I buttoned everything up the pump will no longer turn on. Must have pulled something out or clipped a wire. Once I get it going, I'll see if the Sabiki mode will actually hold me over a wreck under real-world conditions. If it doesn't I may just sell the Furuno and get an AP44.

Last edited:

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the grief with the Furuno AP. Why another heading sensor ? Does the one that came with the AP not work? Yes It may be a bit of a tank , but once installed it works very well, . Have enjoyed the using the Sabiki mode, and steering with point and shoot remote. Interfaces very well with my MDF. I believe the controller is water proof, you just cannot attack it with a power washer. Anyway it was in my price range..... USD to CD ouch! but enjoying . trapper

Last edited:

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My heading sensor works great and was very stable banging through a 3 ft chop yesterday. My Simrad MDF sees it just fine. It's the heading sensor that isn't waterproof which concerns me, not the controller. I have mine located the same as yours and it was soaking wet when we got back. We do a lot of deck washing in order to keep the chum and fish guts under control and the spray gets right under the cabin door. If I keep the Furuno I'll need to mount the sensor higher over a bunk. The best location would be under the deck.

The Simrad system integrates with the Evo3 in ways that the Furuno can't. You are using your Furuno with a Furuno fish finder as I understand.

Check this out:

Simrad AP44 One Touch Navigation

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
WOW, yes that is too cool! It does make my set up appear a little primitive, but I suppose with the new Furuno MFD $$$$ it would come close to the Simrad system. Would it be easier to incase your sensor in a water proof container (small pail with a snap on lid etc.) and fasten that to the same area? trapper

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just don't like the location of the heading sensor on the step going down to the cabin floor. I keep boxes of tackle on the bunks and I needed to keep reminding people not to step on the sensor when they went in and out of the cabin. I guess that I could build another step over the sensor that extends the full width of the entrance step. That would help with the water problem as well.

I can understand that the gesture controller would be nice feature for your area. You can just point toward a landmark and go to it. But I'm out of sight of land most of the time and running between saved waypoints. I use the screen exclusively and won't have any use for the gesture controller.

wrxhoon, have you had a chance to try out your system with the sensor located in the bow yet? How is it working out?

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I haven't taken her to water yet, the weather hasn't been kind here in the last week, big seas and rain. I will report when I water test Doc .
I'm not taking her to water just to calibrate, I will go fishing out wide so not a lot of time to calibrate and test especially if the bluefin turn up in numbers.
In any case if the sensor doesn't work well where it is I will relocate but I won't be putting it in the bilge .