autopilot

Dhirsh

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
That kit won't work on Seastar 1000 psi outboard hose. That is 3/8 nylon tubing for baystar or inboards with rudders. Those are 3/8 compression fittings for the hose.
I stand corrected there. I used it for twin 150’s on a standard SeaStar single ram. Shouldn’t use that kit for your application. Better to have a hydraulic shop set you up with hoses and fittings

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
So all components in now waiting for mechanic to come by and bleed system with his bleeding device. Not an easy task finding room for the new hoses and tees. Put them mostly in the space on right of helm where chase for wiring to stern is. It is tight and might enlarge that area to accommodate better. There was a lot of foul language and leaking hydraulic fluid. My concern is the number of times I had to assemble and disassemble the fittings until I finally got things in the proper place. Does this promote leaks?

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
System in all hooked up and bled. Went for commissioning run yesterday. All went well except for compass linearization which never finished (see below), it was amazing and so much fun.
A few points
Do spend time in planning stage as to where things will go, wire routes, hose routes. Measure twice cut once is mode of operation.

Electrical part fairly easy and straight forward, hydraulics another story.

I used same as Skunk Boat, -5 (5/16) MSH (marine steering hose), and Parker field replaceable fittings. Hose is cheap buy extra. My intention was to put hoses and tees under helm, but it turned out to be way to much stuff with tees and stiff hose. Had to relocate to below and to right of helm in wire compartment. This meant fittings were assembled and disassembled more than once. I was afraid of leaks none encountered due to that. I did not use thread sealant on any fittings first time around and all npt fittings leaked and required emergency repair when mechanic came to bleed. I used blue monster tape on npt's which was left over from log splitter repair. Solved that issue fine. Bleeding was straight forward with one exception. Instructions say return tube must have "continuous" upward return to helm. Mine dropped about 1/2 inch before going up and when bleeding pump it could not push out the air. Had to add a spacer under the pump to create continuous up direction and immediate success.

Commission run was uneventful with one exception, linearization. Would not finish. When back at dock went through set up again and noticed factory default is compass in locked state. Unlocked it and hopefully will finish next outing. AP worked fine without linearization finishing.

Probably other little things I am forgetting. The manual is to long and somewhat confusing at times, but read it and re-read it, then read it again.

Very happy so far and am now thinking about axiom mfd/plotter to add to system.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Just replaced my old navpilot with Garmin reactor 40 w/smart pump V2 on my 330 Express. I mounted the control and left the rest to the tech and glad I did as it was a lot more involved than expected.

Looking forward to getting out this weekend but so far so good! Good luck!

ttles714

Reaction score
My used 2007 marlin, with Grady power steering , had a Raymarine e127 when I purchased it .... i wanted auto pilot .. . After doing a lot of research and picking the brains of several marine electronics installers and a dealer/ technician that has never done me wrong , I went with the following :
Stayed with Raymarine auto pilot, ( no compatibility issues ) .. I decided for a few bucks more I would have him sell and install the unit for me .. He gave me a good deal and they did a great job ... I also added an e7, that he had sitting on his shelf , it was a demo still in the box ( 300 bucks) .. .. All the units talk to each other and the Auto pilot will steer and track to a waypoint .. The auto pilot can be controlled from either MFD or the pilot head itself ... The auto pilot steers the boat much better than I do !!! They added all the components to a new Starboard face panel and installed ll into the electronics locker ..

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
added 7in raymarine axiom mfd and it is just amazing. no more random wanderings while trolling. we start with a plan and try to stick to it. it has produced, including my first sailfish hookup. which only lasted a few minutes but was great, i will never forget that first jump!