Backing into slip + fenders

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
22' Fisherman...backing into slip no issue. The fenders are annoying...either getting them out of the console and cleating before we back-in or keeping them on the cleats. I am contemplating "hull-saver" dock cushions in response to my annoyance with fenders. I guess I could always cleat the fenders to the dock?!

Looking for your opinion...worth it? Any downsides? Anyone else do something different?

Here is a link to what I am potentially going to buy & a picture of how the boat is at the slip with fenders.

https://www.overtons.com/hull-saver...-straight-360182.html?dwvar_360182_color=whit

Thanks!
Ian

Attachments

• Boat at dock.jpg
    Boat at dock.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 47

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Considering putting fenders is on takes about 45 seconds, I'm not sure that "I" would classify that as annoying :) But hey, different strokes for different folks, right?

That said, I would prefer to have protection on the dock than on the boat. Not so much because of a perceived inconvenience, but with fenders, you always run the risk of them rolling up and onto the dock at which point they're, obviosuly, not doing their job.

What you've linked to looks like a very good option and I've done similar things over the years. Those will work very well.

Reactions: igblack87

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
That should work.

I have a big fender hanging on the center of the dock(up out of the water). I have a roller fender at the tip of the dock. I hang one on the stern cleat of the boat when I tie up
I don't have a full picture of it. My floating dock has an outside fixed pole and I use a line setup to hold the boat off the dock

https://www.amazon.com/KUFA-Dock-Wh...&pd_rd_r=5d0ae3a7-a5d4-4657-8d02-f1f458a37394

KuMyjrKm.jpg

Last edited:

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Appreciate the opinions. @DennisG01 the source of annoyance isn't just cleating and dealing with dock lines...its the fact that I also have twin 3.5year old boys that find ways to make the fenders into weapons, lol! @SkunkBoat appreciate the photo, i'm a visual kind of learner.

Is it worth it to find 6" thick vs. 4" thick? I saw someone else at my marina with Montauk Supply dock fenders....they were $120 a piece...holy crap!

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I see more more and more boats owners in my marina using the dock guards. Personally I have a similar setup to Skunk, plus an additional fender mid ship which tucks between the bow rail and the house when not in use. I get it tough fenders take up a lot of space especially in a smaller boat.

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
I would recommend carrying at least two good fenders for those times you may have to tie up at an unfamiliar dock, or come along side another boat.
Agreed. Should have mentioned, that I would still have the fenders on board...just hope not to use them all to frequently!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Appreciate the opinions. @DennisG01 the source of annoyance isn't just cleating and dealing with dock lines...its the fact that I also have twin 3.5year old boys that find ways to make the fenders into weapons, lol! @SkunkBoat appreciate the photo, i'm a visual kind of learner.

Is it worth it to find 6" thick vs. 4" thick? I saw someone else at my marina with Montauk Supply dock fenders....they were $120 a piece...holy crap!
Oh, I understand about having kids on board! :)

Best thing I found (and you can actually start them doing some things, even at their age)... give them "jobs" to do. It doesn't matter if the job is actually helpful right now. The point is that "they're helping daddy". It could even be "coiling up a rope to look nice" - when you're coming into the slip and you need them sitting down, that's a good one. The goal is to direct their focus. The key is being consistent with them. Will it work for you? I don't know - it worked well for me! :)

Yes, the 4" is plenty thick. It's 4" over the entire length of itself - which is quite a lot - especially since you'll be using multiples.

Last edited:

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
22' Fisherman...backing into slip no issue. The fenders are annoying...either getting them out of the console and cleating before we back-in or keeping them on the cleats. I am contemplating "hull-saver" dock cushions in response to my annoyance with fenders. I guess I could always cleat the fenders to the dock?!

Looking for your opinion...worth it? Any downsides? Anyone else do something different?

Here is a link to what I am potentially going to buy & a picture of how the boat is at the slip with fenders.

https://www.overtons.com/hull-saver...-straight-360182.html?dwvar_360182_color=whit

Thanks!
Ian
I

Thanks!
Ian
I would be more concerned about my motor hitting the dock, looks awful close in the picture. Why don't you just pull in? I use hull huggers on the dock.

Thanks!
Ian
I would be more concerned with my motor hitting the dock in the picture looks pretty close. Why don't you just pull in? Also I have the hull savers and they're great

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
I
I would be more concerned about my motor hitting the dock, looks awful close in the picture. Why don't you just pull in? I use hull huggers on the dock. I would be more concerned with my motor hitting the dock in the picture looks pretty close. Why don't you just pull in? Also I have the hull savers and they're great
Good observation. I have about 2.5feet from the dock to skeg/prop. Use a nice spring line to make sure the hull doesn't move closer.

I dont pull in as the slips on the side of the dock I am at are relatively unprotected, lots of chop, waves and wind. Also, my transom is wide open - bow out is best!

Last edited:
Reactions: PointedRose

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I put these on my marina slip 5 years ago, Hull Hugr Marina Bumper, Docking Boat Bumpers. I take them off during the winter and they work great and are as good as new. Still carry my fenders for docking elsewhere. I bought them on Amazon for about 30 bucks, noticed now they are 67 bucks.

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
I put these on my marina slip 5 years ago, Hull Hugr Marina Bumper, Docking Boat Bumpers. I take them off during the winter and they work great and are as good as new. Still carry my fenders for docking elsewhere. I bought them on Amazon for about 30 bucks, noticed now they are 67 bucks.
got a picture of how your slip looks with them in it??

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
I see how you did your dock fenders...might go that route, i saw someone else that got like 2x 60" ones and liked that idea too. i will definitely be getting a corner piece.

love the goldens...my black lab would be a panting mess on our boat.

Reactions: Legend

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Ok good people. Thanks for your help. Here are a couple of photos:

Material is very vinyl...not sure how well it will hold up (dock fenders were $28 a piece...we'll see). What a b*tch to screw them in - 4 stainless steal lag bolts w/stainless washer on the top & 2 stainless steal w/washer on the sides.

I'm happy with it though. Keeping the other fenders in the console for docking and raft ups. Purchased from Overtons.com, great site and good prices.

Ian

Attachments

• Dock Fender Forward.jpg
    Dock Fender Forward.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
  • Dock Fender Midship.jpg
    Dock Fender Midship.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • Dock Fender Stern.jpg
    Dock Fender Stern.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 19
  • Dock Fenders Installed 2.jpg
    Dock Fenders Installed 2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
  • Dock Fenders Installed.jpg
    Dock Fenders Installed.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I would care for them as I would for the vinyl in the boat (e.g. spray with 303 Marine Protectant). Also, if you are seasonal, I would remove them for the winter and store them indoors (or out of the sun & weather).