Backing into slip + fenders

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
I would care for them as I would for the vinyl in the boat (e.g. spray with 303 Marine Protectant). Also, if you are seasonal, I would remove them for the winter and store them indoors (or out of the sun & weather).
What are the benefits of 303 Marine Protectant? Is it like a Yamashield or...?

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
303 is a really good vinyl protectant to help stave off dirt, mold and UV damage.

Reactions: igblack87

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have Dock Hugr fenders on my slip - I remove them over the winter and clean them before storing. They are about 4 years old and still look great. The only downside to them - if you have a wind that is blowing you against them they be squeaky noisy.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
My floating dock has a free standing pole on the outside. I ran a line to the floating dock with a sliding ring and a "spring" line. In combination with the port bow line, which is not "floating", it holds the boat off the dock so it doesn't rub on the fenders. After a storm it also prevents the "brown foam" from piling up between the boat and the dock, staining the hull. I use the center dock line to pull the boat tight to the dock for loading. Normally the lines have slack and the boat freely floats away from the dock

IMG_2343.jpeg

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
looks like you dont have a spring line preventing rearward movement

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Its not a great drawing. The bow lines prevent rear movement because there are two of them
as long as there is enough of a longitudinal component to them, you should be good. the drawing makes them look almost completely lateral.

seasick

Reaction score
Its not a great drawing. The bow lines prevent rear movement because there are two of them
What is your typical tidal swing? How is the line to the forward port piling tied off. What is the length of the line from that pole to the cleat?
As I see it, all the lines except that port fwd line are tied off to a point that moves up and down with the tide. The port fwd line on the other hand probably doesn't and could be an issue if too short.
Have you experienced a really taut condition on the line?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
What is your typical tidal swing? How is the line to the forward port piling tied off. What is the length of the line from that pole to the cleat?
As I see it, all the lines except that port fwd line are tied off to a point that moves up and down with the tide. The port fwd line on the other hand probably doesn't and could be an issue if too short.
Have you experienced a really taut condition on the line?
The drawing doesn't show the correct angle of the bow lines and doesn't show the sag in any of the lines.

yep the port bow line is the only one not floating. Everything else goes up and down with the tide. You are correct there has to be enough slack in the lines for outgoing and low tide (bow faces outgoing tide). The lines are all set the right length with the eye to the boat. There is never a case where the bow and stern lines are both tight. (except for loading, I haul in the center dock line and giv it a wrap to hold the stern tight to the dock.)

The port bow line holds the bow from ever touching the dock. The stbd bow line prevents the bow from ever touching the port pole. They both prevent the stern from moving too far toward the dock.

The tension of the sliding spring line isn't much but it doesn't take much to hold a floating boat off the dock.

Docking stern-in makes loading and cleaning an express much easier. My dock has a crazy current in both directions. I find that backing in gives much better control because the stern immediately follows the motors. In fwd, it takes space to turn the bow. In a crazy current, between two rows of docks, you have no space
IMG_2281.jpeg

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
wow, thats a big slip. plenty of room

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
My floating dock has a free standing pole on the outside. I ran a line to the floating dock with a sliding ring and a "spring" line. In combination with the port bow line, which is not "floating", it holds the boat off the dock so it doesn't rub on the fenders. After a storm it also prevents the "brown foam" from piling up between the boat and the dock, staining the hull. I use the center dock line to pull the boat tight to the dock for loading. Normally the lines have slack and the boat freely floats away from the dock

View attachment 30294
Our slips are 2 boats per "space". We have no pilings...not very common here in MA, best as I can tell. I used to run a starboard stern line to a middle cleat on the dock but stopped doing that. Now I leave just a little slack and let my spring line (midship to stern) keep the boat on the dock. Works well!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Our slips are 2 boats per "space". We have no pilings...not very common here in MA, best as I can tell. I used to run a starboard stern line to a middle cleat on the dock but stopped doing that. Now I leave just a little slack and let my spring line (midship to stern) keep the boat on the dock. Works well!
I got lucky. Originally I was in a tight one. You can see it in my avatar below my signature here. They were kind of empty my second season with the Grady and they said pick one. I took a big one with the pole between the two slips. Been there since. Its a good thing because docking in a full current is just a controlled crash.

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
I got lucky. Originally I was in a tight one. You can see it in my avatar below my signature here. They were kind of empty my second season with the Grady and they said pick one. I took a big one with the pole between the two slips. Been there since. Its a good thing because docking in a full current is just a controlled crash.
smooth sailing never made a good captain.