Backup bilge pump discussion in January

oldrusty

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
In January there was a very informative discussion about backup bilge pumps and also bilge alarms. Well after reading a lot of good advice on the subject I went about installing a backup Johnson1600 pump and also the Johnson bilge alarm in my overnighter. Well finally got it all together and figured I would post it here so if someone was going about doing there own it might be of help to them. I raised the new 1600 Johnson pump and switch 2 inches above my original 1100 Rule pump so it will hopefully never go on. I can test it whenever by shutting off the rule pump and adding water to turn on the Johnson pump. I wired everything up to the helm area including the bilge alarm switch. I also installed the alarm sensor about the same height as the backup pump so i will know when that pump ever kicks on. The sensor is the black flat wired sensor on the bilge wall. Everything tested and works . Will try and post a few pictures here if i can. never posted pictures here and can't resize them
bilgh alarm switch.jpg

20230628_174705_resized-jpg.30329
20230628_175819_resized (1).jpg

Reactions: Saltyone

Chutch

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Nice. I Added a high water alarm at the suggestion of my surveyor. I think its a requirement on new boat builds with overnight capability.

oldrusty

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Thanks Chutch, getting ready for a few overnight trips and wanted a little more insurance. I also want to say welcome to the Grady white site. You will find a lot of good information and ideas here. A lot of good people here also .

Sdfish thank you also, your right , going offshore be safe

seasick

Reaction score
Nice. I Added a high water alarm at the suggestion of my surveyor. I think its a requirement on new boat builds with overnight capability.
I think this is the regulation

§ 182.530 Bilge high level alarms.
(a) On a vessel of at least 7.9 meters (26 feet) in length, a visual and audible alarm must be provided at the operating station to indicate a high water level in each of the following normally unmanned spaces:

(1) A space with a through-hull fitting below the deepest load waterline, such as a lazarette;

(2) A machinery space bilge, bilge well, shaft alley bilge, or other spaces subject to flooding from sea water piping within the space; and

(3) A space with a non-watertight closure, such as a space with a non-watertight hatch on the main deck.

(b) Vessels constructed of wood must, in addition to paragraph (a), provide bilge level alarms in all watertight compartments except small buoyancy chambers.

(c) A visual indicator must be provided at the operating station to indicate when any automatic bilge pump is operating.

oldrusty

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Right on seasick, but I would think anyone spending overnight offshore or even in different bay areas would want the extra protection. Things can happen really fast and being alerted fast in not a option and could mean the difference between saving one's self and a disaster.

seasick

Reaction score
Note that the regs don't say anything about overnights:)
Plenty of boats have 'sunken' due to leaks and no bilge operation while on short trips and just hanging around.
Note also that if you have a big enough leak and I'm talking about a seacock failure or hose failure, in all likelihood, your bilge pump would not be able to keep up. A high water alarm will buy you some time to determine if the boat is going to sink as well as get ready to ditch. Granted if you are asleep an alarm would be helpful if you can hear it:)

oldrusty

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
:) thanks good advice Seasick never know when or where