Batteries problems

INSURANCEMAN

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 205
Ok so I am kind of at a loss. I took a trip out the other day and after sitting anchored up for about a hour my battery was completely drained. Switched to my second battery and well wouldn’t you know it nothing. I ended up getting her started on the both selection but figured I’m not taking any chances and put two new batteries in. Battery on top was what was in the boat battery on bottom is the new one. Anyway it was Memorial Day Walmart was the only place open and I replaced not and even when operating my trim it was straining. So the new batteries seemed like the weren’t charged I have a trickle charger and have left the battery on it for a day but this would take quite awhile to fully charge one. But I would of thought I could have something by now. I have borrowed a better charger from my neighbor and have that hooked up right now. Any ideas of what I’ve done wrong? I mean I’ve double checked my connections the amps are more than the other batteries so what gives. I hate to pull the batteries out and have to go back to Walmart but that is about where I am.

Thanks for the advice.

Attachments

• 5616BEB1-C8CE-4305-8C04-6D864C174C37.jpeg
    5616BEB1-C8CE-4305-8C04-6D864C174C37.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20

SirGrady226

Reaction score
Check the voltages with a multi meter, could be the starter giving up.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Were the batteries tested for charge by someone at Walmart or did you just put them in your cart & checkout?
Manufacture date on batteries?
Don't you hate it when you don't know if you're fighting a new problem...

You have 2 deep cycle batteries? Unusual choice but it could work fine.

You need to test with a known good battery...like the one in your car. Is it a trailer boat?.... jumper cables and test it. ...disconnect the suspected bad battery first!
Does it start and go up/down with vigor?You need to know that answer.

While its running, check that the voltage increases to above 13V indicating that the motor is producing a charge.

After that...

How old were the old batteries? 5 years or more and it is a reasonable expectation they are shot and won't recharge sufficiently.

You have 2 batteries and a 1,2,both,off switch. Do you have an ACR (automatic charging relay) between the batteries?
Assuming you normally run in position 1 , How does #2 battery get charged?
How often did you use #2 prior to this? Could that one have been already been dead for a while?

Is it possible that something(s) was on and draining the battery while you were out?

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Check connections to the motor.

INSURANCEMAN

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 205
Thanks everyone I woke up early this morning and retraced my steps. First I feel like a complete idiot. I worked while in high school at a garage and helped my grandfather on his farm. So I should have absolutely checked the connections first. It was 92 Memorial Day and I was really trying to get back on the water. With the sweat in my eyes and frustrated as I was I ended up dropping one of the main negative cables that went to the switch. Long story short this morning I go out to find both batteries fully charged and still nothing. I unhooked everything and then I saw the other cable. She’s all good now! I replaced my fuel water separator and also my fuel filter. She’s purring like a kitten!
thanks again.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Whenever I disconnect 1 or 3 batteries I always just run a wire tie through the wire terminals just to keep them all grouped and an easy re install

Reactions: INSURANCEMAN

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Did you replace only one of the 2 batteries? Most folks recommend replacing both batteries at the same time. Just a thought. Glad you figured it out!

INSURANCEMAN

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 205
Did you replace only one of the 2 batteries? Most folks recommend replacing both batteries at the same time. Just a thought. Glad you figured it out!

I replaced both. It was a stupid mistake that I made.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Not stupid but rather a learning experience:)
Many have done the same thing. I am one of them.
Hey last year I replaced batteries and did not pay attention to how I installed them and nearly burnt my boat down by wiring them together positive to negative. So, you got that going for you! Lol. Good job going back and tracing your steps and finding the problem!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Always something. I always take pics now before doing anything. This way when I screw up, I have help.