Beckson 6” Pry-Out Deck Plates O-Rings

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I understand Grady White utilizes Beckson 6” pry-out deck plates on a lot of their models including my “99” 226 Seafarer. I was inspecting the condition of these on my new to me boat and found that the o-rings were pinched and in otherwise poor shape. I went searching for replacements and Beckson venders were looking for $12 or more for these gaskets. For 10 o-rings with shipping we’re talking about $130+. I found that Caterpillar part# 6D9157 was a direct fit and appears to be a much better quality o-ring than what is available from the deck plate manufacturer. Best part, I was able to find a pack of ten for under $11 on eBay.

I wanted to give back to this forum. Even though this is my first post, this forum and the members were a valuable asset during the researching of my boat purchase and will continue to be during my ownership. I’ll get my profile updated ASAP.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
L. T. Welcome aboard. Thanks a bunch for that part number. It's always good to bypass irresponsible companies that think it is OK to gouge their customers. Beckson has always made good products but in my opinion their exorbitant replacement parts prices are inappropriate. I used your same logic and ordered from an O ring supplier by dimensions.

Fishtales

Reaction score
you can also order direct from beckson. They also make screw in versions that are a little more robust for areas like the eurotransom on later boats.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I bought 3 new 6" Beckson plates and rings due to all my plates were cracked and 2 rings cracked along with 15 year old O-rings in my fuel tank panels. The rest of them need fresh O-rings that I will pick up later.
20190914_200800.jpg

Fishtales

Reaction score
they sell plates and O-rings separately as well;

HMBJack

Reaction score
If you really want to control water leaks, know that those pop up plates are no match for the screw in type.
I converted a while back and have been very happy with everything staying DRY underneath.

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I am in process of converting to screw in types as well. I think most of the water I see settle comes in from the anchor locker. I think there is another thread on here, but I will also make it a habit to check all the thru hull hoses to the bait tank, fish hold etc.

hinmo

Reaction score
I understand Grady White utilizes Beckson 6” pry-out deck plates on a lot of their models including my “99” 226 Seafarer. I was inspecting the condition of these on my new to me boat and found that the o-rings were pinched and in otherwise poor shape. I went searching for replacements and Beckson venders were looking for $12 or more for these gaskets. For 10 o-rings with shipping we’re talking about $130+. I found that Caterpillar part# 6D9157 was a direct fit and appears to be a much better quality o-ring than what is available from the deck plate manufacturer. Best part, I was able to find a pack of ten for under $11 on eBay.

I wanted to give back to this forum. Even though this is my first post, this forum and the members were a valuable asset during the researching of my boat purchase and will continue to be during my ownership. I’ll get my profile updated ASAP.

Bingo - just what I needed....ordered a few. Thanks

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd use GE Silicone 2 almond color. You can take them off easy when you want/need to.

GS2321994

Reaction score
Thanks Fishtales and every one that is what I will go with

Fishtales

Reaction score
Its what my dealer and I believe GW uses to seal the decks. Couple of good things about it. It cuts easy for removal. It removes from the gelcoat easy with a razor blade. You can rebed them every 5 years or so if wanted (change O rings at the same time) if desired.