Best filet knife

cobrapowersys

Reaction score
I would like to get some opinions on filet knives, and sharpening techniques. What is the best filet knife, and sharpening techniques?

Reel Sharp

Reaction score
Well it depends on what you are going to be filleting. Little sprat or jumbo Tuna? Make sure your knife bends how you want and hold a good edge. Not sure of the higher dollar brands but I have a Dexter($20-30) and seems to hold up fine. I can't seem to bring myself paying big bucks for a knife and have it go overboard.

midnight-rider

Reaction score
My choice

I buy ones that feel good in my hand. In N.C. Outher banks Tackle shops they sell used fillet knives which have alot of life left in them for a few dollars under $5.00 each. At that cost I buy a few of them at a time and don't worry about losing them. The key in my opinion is a sharp knife that feels good in your hand. Sharping them on flat stones, roller types or those with the metal tops covering the stone all work. Learning to used them is key.

Reaction score
Forshner knives are great knife for Fish and are a snap to keep sharp. I cut up animal parts every day for a living and for filleting fish there is no better value!

Bama96

Reaction score
Roll the Bones said:
Forshner knives are great knife for Fish and are a snap to keep sharp. I cut up animal parts every day for a living and for filleting fish there is no better value!

X2 the Forshner is hard to beat.

cobrapowersys

Reaction score
sharpening stones

so it seems like the good brands are dexter, and forschner neither are real expensive. How about stones? Does anyone use round vs flat, vs slider? What seems to work best?

Butcherboy

Reaction score
Ditto

Ditto to everything that Roll the Bones said. In regards to sharpening "It's easier to get them sharp than to keep them sharp". All the different sharpening methods work the key being to doing it often enough to get the knack. If you sharpen them often, you don't let them get in too bad of shape.........Tom

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
fish knives

I'd go cheap, loose too many overboard, guess I fish with too many rookies. I'd ask "where is the knife?" Someone would say "Oops, it slipped out of my hand and went blub."

Gary M

Reaction score
I prefer "stiff" knives....."flimsy" knives tend to leave too much meat on the bone.....

What do I know.........I've only cleaned a few thousand dolphin and yellowtail snapper......

finnaddict

Reaction score
I was talking to a salesman and he told Me to buy a knife that felt comfortable in My hands.He said buying a real expensive knife is not going to make a difference so he steered me towards a 15 dollar dexter.He also told Me the carbon based steel will sharpen easier and dull easier than a stainless.He also told Me if I go carbon based to clean with a mild detergent and keep dry to prevent a pitting rust.He also suggested to coat the knife with spray(like pam or some other vegetable spray) between uses especially if keeping it on the boat.He did tell Me to avoid the cheap dollar store stones and buy a good one and that will make sharpening easier.I also got a good explanation on how to use the stone.I would try to explain it but think there is probably a better display on u tube. Good luck

Reaction score
The key to a sharp knife is keeping it there with lots of touch up work. I do not use flat stones because I am terrible with them. I use a diamond dust steel before or after every use, I touch them up on the steel. Not like those Hot Dog yahoos you see in restaurants on TV, Just some well angled, even deliberate strokes (careful boys) will do the trick. Also if it is a lot of animal parts, stop, wipe the blade, touch it up, and back to the work!

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Roll the Bones said:
The key to a sharp knife is keeping it there with lots of touch up work. I do not use flat stones because I am terrible with them. I use a diamond dust steel before or after every use, I touch them up on the steel. Not like those Hot Dog yahoos you see in restaurants on TV, Just some well angled, even deliberate strokes (careful boys) will do the trick. Also if it is a lot of animal parts, stop, wipe the blade, touch it up, and back to the work!

x2. That method works well for me too. I use a Forschner boning knife for filleting since I like the stiffer blade and it's kept its edge real well just by using the steel on it.