Best single engine GW Walkaround Cabin

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The Islander, the largest single motor capabile, trailerable, walkaround Grady ever built, or may ever build.

Offshore = biggest boat you can manage = Islander for a single.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
BobP said:
The Islander, the largest single motor capabile, trailerable, walkaround Grady ever built, or may ever build.

Offshore = biggest boat you can manage = Islander for a single.

X2 if you can find one you like. These and the sailfish are my favorite even though I've never ridden in either.

Now you have a boat with a stand-up head and shower, and lots of beef for seas. You need a real truck to pull it though.

There are some 265's out there too, now that's a good lookin' boat. Doesn't work for everybody, and they are over-legal to tow (just get a permit) but what a fishing machine. Twin HPDI's on lots of those.

Michael has his sailfish for sale again, it's got to be a nice boat. 2001 with twin 200 hpdi's. $58,500 Let me know if you want a link.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
As Wahoo stated, he thought it rode better with folks in the stern seat and he's running a 250 and AGM's,,,,,,why not step it up to the F350 with the AGM batteries? Still running a single but have the extra weight for the better ride. Although it may be cost prohibitive for what you are wanting to pay.

Max HP is 350 and with a hardtop this would be a nice package.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Well, I had decided to stay quiet on this thread, but after the Islander was brought into it....

We purchased our Islander new in March 2002 with a single 250HP OX66. We put 465 hours on that engine then traded it for a twin repower in Nov 2005. We now have 860 hours on the twins.

The boat is big and heavy, and the 250HP single is adequate. Cruise was 22-23kts, and WOT was 30.5kts. OX66 was solid as a rock, but thirsty for fuel and oil. Boat is completely different with the twins.

I think an Islander should be on your list, if you either have a big tow vehicle or don't plan to tow. If it is ready for a repower, I would suggest the DF300 Suzuki for the best power/weight ratio.

Brian

Reactions: Steelhead

Bill_N

Reaction score
I would go with the 258 and F250 if it were me. I always thought the 24 Explorer was the perfect boat with a single and the 258 is a slightly larger version of that boat. A friend had one for years that he used to tow with a 3/4 ton Chevy.

Bill

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Chris, Op is looking for single motor boat, Sailfish can't do single.

Islander gets away with it with narrow beam.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Personally never was thrilled with the ride of a single engine islander. Fished a few and they did the job, but were on the slow end, and the guys I know who had them all had blown engines before 1000 hr because the boat is slightly underpowered, if your going to be pushing a family around you want enough power to not be running the engines hard to handle the load. The single engine 2 stroke boats were ok, but remember most of the newer 4 strokes do not have the same pep and weigh more, making them less ideal. If you could find an islander repowered with a 300 suzuki or F350, that would be a different story, but I do not think an F350 would fit on the islander, cowling is too high to tilt up, and transom mount I believe is different as well. The Suzuki would be a nice power match with good economy though and enough power. The 258 will be easier to find with a single and will handle the power of a single a lot better and ride better, making it the best option on your list and much easier to find then an islander with the right engine.

Gilday

Reaction score
Just looked up the Islander, what a beautiful boat. It does look like a monster to tow.

With a quick search there seems to be less of them for sale and of course even less already powered with a single as mentioned before.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You didn't say you were trailering, so your tow vehicle may be the limiting factor. Nor did you say your $$ budget.

At the bottom end you have the 20 footer, and the Islander at the top end.
And several models in between.

If you stay inshore and have little water to deal with, any boat including the in betweens will do, if you are in difficult water and/or offshore, you best sea trial your choice in same sea conditions before you sign at dotted line.

Although all the Gradys ever built are highly sea worthy designs, if not you, perhaps the Admiral will be more at ease and in more comfort higher up in a bigger model, in tough seas.
So take theAdmiral on the sea trial, she will be making the decision anyway, in case you have not come to realize it.

Good luck.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Seeing that you're in Miami, I would definitly get twins as opposed to a single. Lots of boat traffic, and plenty of gigantic cruise ships coming and going out of government cut all the time. Plus there are shipping lanes coming into there from all directions.

I don't know if you intend to trailer, or if you are going to leave boat in the water, but once you get a boat with over an 8'-8 1/2' beam, and 22'-23' length, it starts to be a real pain to tow back and forth from home to launch ramp.
If you intend to keep boat in a slip, by all means, get the largest one you can afford.

Capt Khaos

Reaction score
Let's go for a ride!

My name's Dan and I live in Ft. Lauderdale. I've got a 2002 228 with an F250 on it sitting behind my house and only a few minutes to the sea buoy. Come on up and we'll go out for ride. No charge, no sweat, no obligation. Of course if you want beer you'll have to bring your own! It's full of gas and ready to go. I'll send you a PM with my phone number or you can email me at captkhaos@aol.com
Cheers,
Dan

Grady678

Reaction score
My 232 Gulfstream has a 250 HPDI and the fuel burn is average 2mpg....similar post from Grady Captain about twin comparison. Single engine dockage on the boat is a challenge that I have yet to describe, but, you'll figure it out if you get one. Trailering requires a beefy half ton truck, but, the result is a boat you can weekend on for 2 easily. You mentioned cost a time or two and I have yet to see another 232 like mine on the water. Mine is entirely stripped.....no T top (bimini works great for trailering less wind resistance), portable head, and 0 options.....other than what Grady had as standard. Slashed thousands off the price. I boated in South Florida for 2 decades on a 26' Formula, 33' Donzi and 30' Scarab sport. An Islander or 232 would be great boats for these waters. Good luck on your hunt and decision!

striped bass

Reaction score
There are several 2008 and 2009 232 Gulfstreams at our dealer's marina with a single Yamaha F350. The owners state that the F350 is more than enough power. The 258 is an excellent boat and with a 350 performs as well.

For your use requirements, you might consider nothing less than an 232 or a 258. You will be very happy. Besides you will be there in a year anyway if you get a smaller boat. :>)

Good luck.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I frequent the Keys and use to have a Tournament 192 and we took her all over the place and fished her on good days well into the Gulf stream out of Islamorada and Key Largo. loved that boat. Traded her for a 08 left over 228 and the ridge quality is night and day. I am very pleased with the 228 and have a F250 on her. Have fished her in Fla out of Ponce, Port Canaveral, Sebastian and in the panhandle.

We have camped on it for a 5 night stay with my entire family of 5. We are also backpackers and have a lot of compact gear and stuff and know how to pack light, so staying in the cabin was a breeze for us as it is bigger than our backpacking tent :lol:

We use her for the lakes here in the mountains and it is a decent water sports boat...not great. It is hard to find the sweet spot for speed when pulling a wake board though. overall, I love the boat.

Our next boat unless Grady changes plans or what have you is an Express 330. Good luck they are all good boats and each owner here bought their Grady model based on their individual needs, desires and budget. As far a runnging to Bimini, I know several folks who ran over there in a 228 and have done so safely.

Good luck

Gilday

Reaction score
BobP said:
You didn't say you were trailering, so your tow vehicle may be the limiting factor. Nor did you say your $$ budget.

At the bottom end you have the 20 footer, and the Islander at the top end.
And several models in between.

If you stay inshore and have little water to deal with, any boat including the in betweens will do, if you are in difficult water and/or offshore, you best sea trial your choice in same sea conditions before you sign at dotted line.

Although all the Gradys ever built are highly sea worthy designs, if not you, perhaps the Admiral will be more at ease and in more comfort higher up in a bigger model, in tough seas.
So take theAdmiral on the sea trial, she will be making the decision anyway, in case you have not come to realize it.

Good luck.

Hey everyone, sorry for the delay but business took me away and swamped me with work for a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the great follow up posts.

Yes, the boat must be trailerable so that limits my size. Luckily I am within 5 miles of Mattheson Hammock marina here in Miami with only flat local roads to travel.

Budget is 60k or below. If I found a boat on the smaller end of the range I would be happy in the 20 -30k range if possible.

Yes, the Admiral will have an influence on the purchase. 27' is her ideal but she likes the 23 - 25'. However, we haven't had time for a sea trial yet.

I'll have to catch up on the other posts tomorrow. Thanks again for all the posts and insight.

Gilday

Reaction score
Re: Let's go for a ride!

Capt Khaos said:
My name's Dan and I live in Ft. Lauderdale. I've got a 2002 228 with an F250 on it sitting behind my house and only a few minutes to the sea buoy. Come on up and we'll go out for ride. No charge, no sweat, no obligation. Of course if you want beer you'll have to bring your own! It's full of gas and ready to go. I'll send you a PM with my phone number or you can email me at captkhaos@aol.com
Cheers,
Dan

Dan, thanks for a great offer. I just got to your pm and replied. I hope we can get together.

Reaction score
Grady White 232- Single Engine

I bought a used GW232 Gulfstream which had a single 250 2-stroke on it... and I knew I wanted a different engine. I got a Suzuki 300 hp single... and it flies and maneuvers well too. I would highly recommend this setup to those who want one engine with this particular boat.

David McLeod

Reactions: Steelhead