Bilge Pump and Dash Circuit Breaker Replacement

HBSteve

Reaction score
We have an 05 Sailfish 282. The forward bilge pump went out. It is an Attwood V1250 and states "Fuse - 4 Amp" on the top. This corresponds to breaker on the dash which also states "4 Amp." The problem is that all the replacement pumps require a 6 Amp or higher fuse unless I drop to a 500 gph pump. My question is how difficult is it to replace the circuit breaker on the dash with a larger Amp? There is a dash access panel in the head but the breaker doesn't look like it just slides out. Also, will everything work OK if I upped the breaker and installed the heavier draw pump (for example, the Rule 1500 that draws 4.8 Amps and requires a fuse of 10 Amp ? Thank You...

seasick

Reaction score
HBSteve said:
We have an 05 Sailfish 282. The forward bilge pump went out. It is an Attwood V1250 and states "Fuse - 4 Amp" on the top. This corresponds to breaker on the dash which also states "4 Amp." The problem is that all the replacement pumps require a 6 Amp or higher fuse unless I drop to a 500 gph pump. My question is how difficult is it to replace the circuit breaker on the dash with a larger Amp? There is a dash access panel in the head but the breaker doesn't look like it just slides out. Also, will everything work OK if I upped the breaker and installed the heavier draw pump (for example, the Rule 1500 that draws 4.8 Amps and requires a fuse of 10 Amp ? Thank You...
I can't answer your first question about how the breaker comes out. Mine have nuts on the outside (they are round).
The second question is a bit trickier. Upping the breaker rating will probably be OK as long as the wire gauge that was used can handle it. I suspect it can but if it looks like the wires to the breaker or switch are smaller gauge than those on a circuit with a breaker rated at or near to 10 amps you may need to do a little more homework. Probably it is a non issue.

HBSteve

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. It was simpler than I thought. I bought an Attwood 1200 gph pump that required a 6 amp fuse. I replaced the circuit breaker to 6 amp and all works well. Back in business.