Boat carpet update

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I asked about what you guys liked for covering the deck that was sticky and DDst suggested DECKadence and I went and bought $1300 of that stuff.
I'm halfway through the install and so far, I'm loving this stuff, it is just what I wanted. It's comfy on your feet, it does not slide around, and I can pull
it out of the boat and clean it on my driveway and clean the boat as I normally do. And it looks sharp, check it out.
boat_carpet.jpgboat_carpet2.jpg

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Nice work Lucky.....I am in the commercial floorcovering business in NYC and I can say that is a pretty good installation.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Nice work Lucky.....I am in the commercial floorcovering business in NYC and I can say that is a pretty good installation.
I learned something, it's hard to see in the 2nd photo but the port side that goes around the fish box is a little hacky. The other side is spot on.

What I learned is there is a hole pattern on the underside that goes up and down, left and right AND if you go at an angle and follow the holes you get a perfect 45 degree cut. So the right way to lay this out is find the hole that matches what you want and cut along that line. You get perfectly straight lines that way. I found the right ones but cutting just a little too big and then you can see which one is right and cut along that.

Edit: turns out the hole pattern is not always lined up correctly, see my other post below.

I appreciate the compliment, especially coming from a pro, which I am not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uncle Joe

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
very nice install! Looks great and should help with feet fatigue on a long day!
Yep, and I'm a guy with bad feet, that's why I fish on the ocean. When my feet worked, I was a backpacking and fly fishing guy. The funny thing is I used to think of a 15 inch trout as a decent fish. Now I think of a 15 inch mackerel as bait :cool:

This DECKadence is indeed nicer on your feet, it's a definite upgrade. Probably gonna fish it tomorrow and see what it is like on the ocean.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mmmmmm.......nothing like the smell of rotten fish blood in the morning!

Last edited:

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Just a little gotcha. On the first piece I had the holes were lined up, there is the same row all the way along the side edge, all the way along the top etc. I foolishly assumed it would be like that on the 2nd piece and it was not. So I have some sewing to do to fill in the wedge where it was not. Oh, well, good thing I know how to sew.

Just wanted to put it out there so anyone mining this thread for info doesn't get burned like I did. I'll edit this to add a pic once I've got the next chunk done.

Looks pretty sharp, right? I still have work to do, the door doesn't open, the ends towards the gunnels need trimming, but it's getting there.
Resized_20230726_164903.jpegResized_20230726_164823.jpegResized_20230726_164831.jpegResized_20230726_164835.jpeg

Last edited:

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Looks great! Are you able to clean it just using soap and water?
I haven't fished it yet so I don't know how the cleaning is going to go, that's the big question. I'm going to try a pressure washer but with it laying on the driveway that might not work. I may build a raised wire screen to put it on to try and clean it. I'll report back once I've fished it.

Reactions: Legend

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
So a small update, I have fished on the boat with the carpet 3 times. Halibut and rockies. I have not gutted a fish on it, I never do that, just bleed them out and put them in the fish box. But I've had something like 30 rockfish put on it and it is fine.

I pull it out of the boat and I pressure wash it. I was worried the smell would not go out of it, I thought about building something that would let the water go out more than my driveway but so far, pressure wash and I stuck my nose where the fish were and it is fine.

It's definitely a bit more work but for me, with my screwed up feet, it is worth it. It's an upgrade.

DDst

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Glad to hear its working out for you

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Glad to hear its working out for you
Thanks again for the pointer to that company. We shall see if I come back in a year whining about stink, I don't think so, in the worst case, I think I bleach it if the pressure washer doesn't work. So far it is working.

I really like this stuff, I'll probably buy some more to do the walkway.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Does it get hot under your bare feet in direct sun?
My feet are completely screwed, I have to wear tennis shows with custom inserts just to be able to stand and walk so I have no idea. I suspect it does get hot, if I were to do this all over again, I'd get some tan color that is not as bright as the gelcoat but not as dark as what I got. I'm happy with what I got but I tan would be better.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
One gotcha I figured out yesterday. I had some long scraps left over and I laid them in the walkway. Unlike the main carpet, I didn't pull them up when I washed the boat. That's a mistake, dirt gathers under them and it's a pain to clean. I like them in the walkways, I just have to add pulling them out to my cleaning routine.