Boat Cover for my 208

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Im looking for a cover that will fit my 208 with a bimini top.
I keep the boat in my driveway, and my neighborhood is full of old oaks, maples, hickory and others trees that leave a mess in my cockpit and deck, especially in the spring and fall. Im getting ready to give it the boat a good compounding, wax and polish treatment and know as soon as Im done, all sorts of crap will be falling from the trees so I would love to keep her all nice and shiny till it time to take her out :)

Anyone have any recommendations or experiences?

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have a 1995 adventure and bought this cover from empire covers for a little over 200 bucks shipped. Comes with a good warranty (forget if it was 3 or 5 years) and has held up great so far. I keep a cover on all year for se reason as you and have found of you but some thin PVC, and make a small PVC ffae house to out in boat or will support the cover through rain/snow. Of course, will need to put bimini down to use this.

Aqua Armor Boat Cover Grey
Low Width High Width Height Length 1997 Grady White Boats 208 Adventure 20 Ft
(B1230G6)

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I just ordered a Taylor Made cover for a 19-24 ft walk around for my 208. I'll let you know how it fits as soon as I get it. $320 from West Marine.

Reactions: HookUp

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thanks for the replies fellas.
Like I said "m looking for a cover that will fit my 208 with a bimini top." . Maybe a cover that is made for a 208 hardtop might work?
The bimini stays up for the season and during trailering, I only go maybe 5-15 miles to a ramp, any further and I take the bimini down.
Im looking for a cover just to keep leaves and acorns and flowers from falling into the boat while its waiting to be taken out :)

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I just ordered a Taylor Made cover for a 19-24 ft walk around for my 208. I'll let you know how it fits as soon as I get it. $320 from West Marine.

But does it work with the bimini up? This is my conundrum. :)

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I dont know of any that would work with a bimini up (also a lot of weight from the cover leaning on your support posts).
Hardtop cover seems like the best option.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
But does it work with the bimini up?
You didn't mention that in your first post - that's totally different.

I have never seen, and am not aware of, any cover that is designed to go OVER a bimini top. Too many issues with that - don't even go down that road. However, you could have a cover made that goes AROUND the (4) bimini poles. It could be a snap-on cockpit cover, or even a "full" cover that goes below the rubrail with something like a ratchet strap for the hem.

Bimini legs take about 2 minutes to fold down - keep things simple and just fold it down - that way you can easily find a cover for it.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I have a 228 g hardtop and I use a generic jumbo boat cover . I want my cover to cover the sides of the boat so the sun doesn't kill the gelcoat .
This is only storage cover I take it off for trailering. When I had a soft top I was using the same with bimini always down and a timber frame from windscreen to the front rail and another from windscreen to the rear so water wouldn't pond.
These only last about 3 years our sun kills them but they are very cheap well under $Au200 from E-Bay. I use this but you need a smaller size for yours. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/25-27-H...ne-Grade-Material-2-Zipper-Entry/201776923445
I could have one made to suit the boat at about $3k and it will last at least 5 years but it will be much heavier so harder to put over it .

1584575426822.png1584575426822.png

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
HookUp,

If you don't wanna hassle with taking down the top, this is just what I had done for my 228.

Custom=not cheap.

Lee

20200312_163009.jpg

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
thanks for that great pic lee.
After seeing some answers from other members, throwing a cover over the bimini may not be the best idea.
I do like your custom cover, I thought of something like that at one time, but I think I would use the snaps on the side glass and windshield. Then of course I would need something similar for the walkaround and bow.
Me thinks Im gonna have to dig DEEP into the pockets to get what I want

• Haha
Reactions: leeccoll

seasick

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the tighter the fit, all other things equal, the interior will heat up in the sun. Certain cover material will make the heating worse. That heat can take a toll on the trim and moldings as well as possible accelerate the aging of bolsters and cushions. A somewhat loose, breathable cover in a light color may be your best bet. Some mechanical or passive ventilation may be prudent.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
thanks for that great pic lee.
After seeing some answers from other members, throwing a cover over the bimini may not be the best idea.
I do like your custom cover, I thought of something like that at one time, but I think I would use the snaps on the side glass and windshield. Then of course I would need something similar for the walkaround and bow.
Me thinks Im gonna have to dig DEEP into the pockets to get what I want
Yep, $1,200 deep for her "behind" ;)

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Had a custom cover made. The bimini frame stays up but the hoops fold back to serve as a high point for the cover. The rear of the bimini has reinforced uprights.
86FE324C-41B4-4E41-91A7-3391834356F5.jpegF4DB190B-A097-4509-BCF8-C8B01ED0B4F3.jpeg

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Had a custom cover made. The bimini frame stays up but the hoops fold back to serve as a high point for the cover. The rear of the bimini has reinforced uprights.
View attachment 11506View attachment 11507

Thats nice setup !

So the more I think about it, the more it seems like I will just have to drop the bimini and use a standard cover as my easiest option
I only need to use it during the early spring and the fall, as this is when I am prone to getting all sorts of crap in the boat. Summer time is fine.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
So the more I think about it, the more it seems like I will just have to drop the bimini and use a standard cover as my easiest option
I only need to use it during the early spring and the fall, as this is when I am prone to getting all sorts of crap in the boat. Summer time is fine.
I think that's a wise choice. Putting a cover over top of a bimini is just asking for trouble. Maybe not right away - and maybe never - but if the cover sags a bit and allows water to pool, it puts A LOT of weight on the bimini and cause it to bend.

You could get cockpit and bow covers made and the cockpit cover would go around the bimini legs - but I would expect somewhere north of $1K for that, at least.

Putting down the bimini is truly very easy, but if your issue is with the securing pins... there are different kind of "pins" use to secure bimini legs - the cheapest of which are screw-in. But there are multiple "quick -release" styles available. Check out Taco Marine's website for ideas.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I think that's a wise choice. Putting a cover over top of a bimini is just asking for trouble. Maybe not right away - and maybe never - but if the cover sags a bit and allows water to pool, it puts A LOT of weight on the bimini and cause it to bend.

You could get cockpit and bow covers made and the cockpit cover would go around the bimini legs - but I would expect somewhere north of $1K for that, at least.

Putting down the bimini is truly very easy, but if your issue is with the securing pins... there are different kind of "pins" use to secure bimini legs - the cheapest of which are screw-in. But there are multiple "quick -release" styles available. Check out Taco Marine's website for ideas.

Agree that the best cost effective option is to put down the bimini.

The custom cover was worth it for me as I know guys who have had these covers for 10+ years without any issues with pooling/sagging but you have to be willing to spend $1000+ for custom made.

The quick release pins are awesome. Just make sure you get into the habit of always putting them back after connecting/disconnecting the bimini segments as they tend to get lost easily.

VTurboWay 2 Pack Bimini Top 90°Deck Hinge with Quick Release Pin w/Drop Cam & Spring & Lanyard Prevents Loss, 316 Stainless Steel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JKVKK5C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_116DEbFSQ3GJ3
These come with lanyards

Hysagtek 6 Pcs Quick Release Pin Boat Bimini Top Pins 1/4" Diameter w/Drop Cam & Spring, Marine Hardware, 316 Stainless Steel with Pull Ring https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HH5FM5V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_I26DEbECHXZG5
Pins only

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Holokai - yup, those quick releases are definitely a step up. Wanna take another step? https://tacomarine.com/ball-socket-top-fittings These are even easier (and quieter) as the ball slides into the socket and stays put while you do the other side - then put the retaining pin in to secure it. Actually, one person can competely put up or remove the bimini (all four legs) by themselves - very easily.

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Im liking those quick release pins for the bimini fellas ;)

Not sure what year your boat is holokai, look much newer than my 1993 :) - My bimini mounts a bit differently - mostly on the winshield frame ,except for the two aft poles. Ill try to post a pic

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Holokai - yup, those quick releases are definitely a step up. Wanna take another step? https://tacomarine.com/ball-socket-top-fittings These are even easier (and quieter) as the ball slides into the socket and stays put while you do the other side - then put the retaining pin in to secure it. Actually, one person can competely put up or remove the bimini (all four legs) by themselves - very easily.

Those are really nice. Would definitely consider them if I had to take the top down more often.

Im liking those quick release pins for the bimini fellas ;)

Not sure what year your boat is holokai, look much newer than my 1993 :) - My bimini mounts a bit differently - mostly on the winshield frame ,except for the two aft poles. Ill try to post a pic

My boat is a 2005 but I had the entire bimini frame replaced with 1” tubing as it needed to be stronger to support storing heavy trolling setups (when clearing lines to fight fish). The setup a lot different than the factory as far as mounting locations go as well. I’d be happy to provide more information if you have any questions but don’t want to hijack this thread so send me a message if you’d like more information.